Short Shifter vs DriveShaft

Leshik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oksana
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10r80
Hey guys my Bday is coming up. And Family wants to give me something as a present. I got a choice DS or Short Shifter. I want to do both eventually, but for now i just want to get better times at a track, which would be more beneficial to me. Im M6 and 3.73s. Thank you for advise.
Sponsored

dbasql

http://djdenverb.com
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Roush 2016 RS3
Not even close
MGW all day

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
MGW shifter would be first choice IMO.

But even if you want them both equally, definitely get the MGW first because it will be harder to install after putting in a larger diameter driveshaft because you have to reach between the shaft and the floor to do part of the shifter install. And if you follow MGW's directions you remove part of the factory shifter thru that gap. They say you can remove it up thru the hole for the shifter but its harder. On mine, even with factory driveshaft it was MUCH easier to take it out the top than past the drive shaft. But a larger diameter shaft will still make it harder to access some bolts from below.

OP
OP
Leshik

Leshik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oksana
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10r80
MGW shifter would be first choice IMO.

But even if you want them both equally, definitely get the MGW first because it will be harder to install after putting in a larger diameter driveshaft because you have to reach between the shaft and the floor to do part of the shifter install. And if you follow MGW's directions you remove part of the factory shifter thru that gap. They say you can remove it up thru the hole for the shifter but its harder. On mine, even with factory driveshaft it was MUCH easier to take it out the top than past the drive shaft. But a larger diameter shaft will still make it harder to access some bolts from below.
thank you ill look into it :) i just thought removing some weight would make a better choice

Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Well I did both. I did the driveshaft first and shifter later. The driveshaft was one of the best mods I did. Car felt much more responsive to throttle. I had the Steeda trans mount bushing also which eliminated all lockout issues I was experiencing. Added the MGW later. I will say the MGW is one awesome shifter....you will never miss a gear with it. With that being said...if you are not having lockout or missing gears now the MGW really wont make the car faster....just nicer to drive...the driveshaft will give you some minimal performance gains.

OP
OP
Leshik

Leshik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oksana
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10r80
Well I did both. I did the driveshaft first and shifter later. The driveshaft was one of the best mods I did. Car felt much more responsive to throttle. I had the Steeda trans mount bushing also which eliminated all lockout issues I was experiencing. Added the MGW later. I will say the MGW is one awesome shifter....you will never miss a gear with it. With that being said...if you are not having lockout or missing gears now the MGW really wont make the car faster....just nicer to drive...the driveshaft will give you some minimal performance gains.
thats the kind of answer i was looking for. I was at the track 5 times and made about 8 runs, and got best of 12.2@118 on street tires with 1.9 60ft. On those 8 runs i only missed a gear once. thats y im having doubts about which 1 to get. im honesly leaning more towards the driveshaft. :) Ur answer is great to my question, im hopping to get more info tho :) Nice ride btw.
Sponsored