Shopping for GT350R

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I did. Opg’s, rear cooling mods, radiator, mcleod clutch, carbon fiber driveshaft, rear chassis bracing, springs, all at the same time. Took me about a week. . Local dyno shop to check the tune.

Who did your whipple?

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
Hi Everyone,

I'm just starting my search for my dream toy car and I'm trying to separate fact from fiction. Here are my ?'s, any guidance is greatly appreciated

1. How prevalent were / are massive engine failures of either the Gen I or Gen II Voodoo? I have spoken with a few performance shops and one said only purchase a 2019 or 2020 and do NOT boost it. Another shop told me that the only year to really avoid was / is 2016. They almost made it like it's the luck of the draw. But they did recognize benefits to going with a 2020, Gen II motor, better breaks and steering rack. You see these horror stories all over the boards and I can find lots of used GT350R's with low mileage. Thoughts? So many are low mileage, I don't know if the breaking process went well and they will have an oil consumption problem....but if I go with a 2017 I can get a better price point as you all know, a 2020 is 20-30K more in the market.

2. Ok on to boost, I have spoken with Fathouse, RareFab, Brenspeed, Steeda, PBD. I feel very comfortable with Fathouse because they seem to be so invested in GT350R R&D. But, I also liked Brenspeed a bunch. I have not called Hellhorse in TX. I love the TT from Fathouse, power delivery and less wear on the internals but it's expensive,. Now my worry is if I go with a SC I'll be just shredding tires in 1st through 3rd VS something more manageable like a TT set up. Also, as it's driven off the cranks it is harder on the engine.

What does everyone think. An what shops do people feel really good about? TT VS SC?

Thanks for any insight, I'm mostly worried about the engine failing on me and wanted to ask some experts as this is going to be my first mustang and I can go for a new GT500 if I wanted. But, I love the GT350R, its so analogue and with some cash invested I can make it my own and I can set it up to smoke a stock GT500.

Again, thanks everyone

Steve
You may have seen this thread from the past: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2019-voodoo-changes.124665/

And there is this takeaway from the 2020 GT350 Heritage Press Release:

The throwback Heritage Edition Package comes a year after Shelby GT350 received a host of upgrades. These include revised front chassis geometry for improved steering feel, plus revised antilock braking and MagneRide™ tuning for optimized aerodynamic components resulting in improved ride, stability and handling for both road and track. Shelby GT350R gets a redesigned high-trail steering knuckle leveraged from the all-new Shelby GT500 for 2020. It also features a new steering rack and recalibrated electric power steering control.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...n-shelby-gt350-heritage-edition-package.html#

StangersInTheNight

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
The 2019+ cars also had the option of a shiny carbon fiber dash and an upgraded sound system that is a bit better than previous years but generally still trash.
Ditto on the sound system. I think the AM radio in my '68 coupe was better. I know we don't buy these for the sound system, but my tunes go everywhere with me.

Sponsored

Trevor@FatFab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Twin Turbo GT350
There is nothing wrong with a properly built boosted GT350. We have built close to 50 twin turbo GT350's thus far and several Gen V Whipple builds on top of that. The GT500 is also a great platform with a lot of potential.

Good luck with your search Steve and feel free to reach out again if you have any additional questions about either platform.

- Trevor

VoodooIdo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2020 Turbo GT350 and 93 Supercharged Lightning
I went with a GT350 because I wanted to modify it to my likings. I enjoy wrenching on my car and went the turbo route. I didn’t want anything spinning off the voodoo crank.

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
1965 GT350, 2017 GT350R, 2022 Toyota Sienna
I went with a GT350 because I wanted to modify it to my likings. I enjoy wrenching on my car and went the turbo route. I didn’t want anything spinning off the voodoo crank.
That's a great point and what I'm thinking, TT seems to be much less stress on the motor

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
1965 GT350, 2017 GT350R, 2022 Toyota Sienna
There is nothing wrong with a properly built boosted GT350. We have built close to 50 twin turbo GT350's thus far and several Gen V Whipple builds on top of that. The GT500 is also a great platform with a lot of potential.

Good luck with your search Steve and feel free to reach out again if you have any additional questions about either platform.

- Trevor
Hi Trevor, Thanks for your response. I had some great discussion with Ben and he gave me a quote for an 800R TT with some extra goodies. My fear has been the motor going, could I afford to rebuild it, sure, but do I want to crank out 25K to do that? I'm less worried about the idea that if you want boost you go with the GT500, it's a different drive, I want that analog feeling but with a sink in the seat level of TQ.

Sponsored

VoodooIdo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2020 Turbo GT350 and 93 Supercharged Lightning
I also like the lower center of gravity compared to a blower. You can keep the strut tower brace also

ParkCity06

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP LR032, 2020 Raptor
Trevor can correct me if I am wrong--but I am told that turbochargers are better suited for the power band of the Voodoo motor.
Sponsored