Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
1965 GT350, 2017 GT350R, 2022 Toyota Sienna
I also say if you are going forced induction- then I would go GT500

Just my opinion- but the GT350R is more about "feeling" then all out speed

If you just want to go as fast as possible- buy a GT500 and pulley swap/ supercharger swap exc.

I think part of what makes the 350 so analog is no forced induction- 6 speed manual- lighter weight (well vs. the 500 anyways lol) - no fancy gauges inside- its just more raw

Heck if you just want to go faster than a stock 500- you might even look at slapping a blower on a GT with the A10 with a ton of suspension mods and a good tire- I would think that would hold up much longer than a forced induction voodoo -

If you are dead set on a boosted 350- I would look at this one
1,600-Mile 2018 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R Hennessey HPE850 for sale on BaT Auctions - ending March 26 (Lot #68,945) | Bring a Trailer
Ok, I'm going to Drive a 2018 GT 350R tomorrow and it's bone stock. I think I'll end up just going stock. So, if I stay 100% stock what are my chances of it having a major failure everyone?

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
If you want to go forced induction go with the 5.0. Then depending on your needs (drag racing or whatever) build the rest from there.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Buy an extended Ford warranty, and don’t worry about it. It’s way overhyped. I was so worried about it I fi’d mine with a thousand miles in it.

Ok, I'm going to Drive a 2018 GT 350R tomorrow and it's bone stock. I think I'll end up just going stock. So, if I stay 100% stock what are my chances of it having a major failure everyone?

Sponsored

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
I have 11k miles on my 19 r and know someone with 25k miles on their 17...
No oil burning on either... that being said I still check mine frequently just to be safe ... I would definitely have bought a gen 1 car if found the right deal...

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I agree with the others who say if your plan from the start will be boost, I would just go for the GT500. The point of the R was a naturally aspirated high revving engine. Regarding gen 1 and 2 people often fail to separate out oil consumption from true engine failures. We've seen true engine failures on both gen 1 and gen 2 engines, yet both are still rare. The gen 1's that were replaced were mostly because of oil consumption rather than true failures, and in an internal document Ford themselves later said many of those engines may have been replaced needlessly. The later engines had different valve seals and piston rings, supposedly to help mitigate oil consumption. Back when the gen 2 engines started there were a bunch of new owners thinking they had a 'fixed' engine. Then we started to see failures there too. To this day it's difficult to ascertain whether true failures were actually much less common on gen 2's. It's very difficult to say there was a failure prone part in the earlier engines. And if there was ever found to be one, we'd actually like to know because some of us plan on keeping these cars forever and realistically may someday have to rebuild the engine, so if there was some massive improvement we'd actually want to know for when we someday have to do a rebuild. That being said the later cars share the GT500 block, which was meant to handle boost pressures, but hard to see how that would matter much if you remain NA. If the rotating assembly of an engine is going to fail, a heavier block isn't going to save you. If you were dead set on boosting though, that could make a difference.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I agree with the others who say if your plan from the start will be boost, I would just go for the GT500. The point of the R was a naturally aspirated high revving engine. Regarding gen 1 and 2 people often fail to separate out oil consumption from true engine failures. We've seen true engine failures on both gen 1 and gen 2 engines, yet both are still rare. The gen 1's that were replaced were mostly because of oil consumption rather than true failures, and in an internal document Ford themselves later said many of those engines may have been replaced needlessly. The later engines had different valve seals and piston rings, supposedly to help mitigate oil consumption. Back when the gen 2 engines started there were a bunch of new owners thinking they had a 'fixed' engine. Then we started to see failures there too. To this day it's difficult to ascertain whether true failures were actually much less common on gen 2's. It's very difficult to say there was a failure prone part in the earlier engines. And if there was ever found to be one, we'd actually like to know because some of us plan on keeping these cars forever and realistically may someday have to rebuild the engine, so if there was some massive improvement we'd actually want to know for when we someday have to do a rebuild. That being said the later cars share the GT500 block, which was meant to handle boost pressures, but hard to see how that would matter much if you remain NA. If the rotating assembly of an engine is going to fail, a heavier block isn't going to save you. If you were dead set on boosting though, that could make a difference.
Should probably make sure everyone understands that the R engine was different from the base engine in all years up to 2018. in 19, there was no difference between the two with the exception of the GT500 Block, some changes to the heads and a strengthened OPG. The later two does seem to make a difference in failures but as you said, they were never as common as some would have you believe to begin with.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
Should probably make sure everyone understands that the R engine was different from the base engine in all years up to 2018. in 19, there was no difference between the two with the exception of the GT500 Block, some changes to the heads and a strengthened OPG. The later two does seem to make a difference in failures but as you said, they were never as common as some would have you believe to begin with.
True, I'm not as familiar on the differences between the R and non-R engines prior to 2018. As for the different OPG I understood that was speculated, but then a member contacted Ford Performance, who contacted one of the engineers, who said they didn't end up changing the OPG or any part of the oil pump assembly. I also looked at the part numbers out of curiosity, and found no change in part numbers for any part of the oil assembly across all the years. So as of now I haven't seen any evidence of a change in oil pump or OPG.

tampasnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
For what it is worth I converted to my 350R from a heavily modified 2010 GT500 that I bought new.
I agree with the consensus that the allure of the 350R is being a raw, naturally aspirated, high revving FPC engine. Yes I miss the old beast on rare occasions but the R has its own character. My old car was scary the R is plain fun.

Sponsored

207TTGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Denny
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350 2020 GMC 2500 AT4 Duramax
If you are in NH then I would suggest Batten Motorsports out of Bangor, Me. Even it’s just to chat about his TT setups. I’ve been running one on my 18 GT350 for 6k. High revving boosted V8 is Rowdy.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Did you get to drive the 350R yet?

OP
OP
NHMustangGuy

NHMustangGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
stephen
Vehicle(s)
1965 GT350, 2017 GT350R, 2022 Toyota Sienna
If you are in NH then I would suggest Batten Motorsports out of Bangor, Me. Even it’s just to chat about his TT setups. I’ve been running one on my 18 GT350 for 6k. High revving boosted V8 is Rowdy.
Sounds great, who did your TT set up? I love Fathouse for that.... but I like Brenspeed as well.