Sponsored

Shopping for a Mustang GT

iceman1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP w/o active exhaust.
I am going to start off I am cross shopping a few cars right now which include: VW Golf R/GTI, Camaro LT1/SS, and the GT. I really like the growl of the V8, and wanted to own at least a manual v8 car, but nervous about gas mileage (yeah I know). This would be a big purchase and trying to make sure I don't regret either making/not making the purchase. The car I am looking for is a base model with the performance pack with the sync3, but realizing that it would come out to about $50k with all the fees associated with it. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a base model mustang costing so much. The reason I am looking for that is to get one that I don't have to modify (well I don't plan on modifying right now). Not to mention I hear horror stories about the build quality and that Ford's in general fall apart after about 5 years (namely the interior). Moreover, I hear the resale value on Mustangs tend to be horrendous. Additionally, I would love to buy it and hold on to it until the wheels fall off, but my track record isn't to good in that department. I am trying to see if the performance pack and sync 3 are really worth the premium, or just getting a completely base model car (which has the extremely small screen). With the complete base model car I would probably change certain things down the road. Just trying to get some input on whether the mustang is really worth the BMW price tag with the Performance Pack and 301A package, or is the complete base model. Just trying to get some advice, so that I don't have regret.
Sponsored

OP
OP

iceman1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP w/o active exhaust.
I should say i come from never owning a domestic. I have owned several civic's, a mini, genesis coupe 2.0t, a mazdaspeed 3, etc. I have no idea what to expect with a domestic and only have the stereotypes to really go on. Not to mention other's who say they wouldn't necessarily pay this much for a Ford/American car (due to the stereotypes) and other cars that have a history of better build quality/durability. Not to mention possible issues with the MT82.

xSouthSyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic GT
My previous car was a 15Golf 7R DCT, and swapped for a 20 GT Auto. I prefer the Mustang way better, for one I didn’t trust the Golf R “AWD” although I heard that’s it’s better in the 8R. RWD is just way more fun and because the Stang is my daily and I’m on the road a lot I had to go Auto. The twin clutch trans is the only thing better on the Golf IMO. The Mustang wins out everywhere else besides fuel economy but who cares about that, right?
The roar of the V8, the road presence and the performance you will not be disappointed.
The Golf’s 0-60 times are only with launch control on, the car itself isn’t that fast (stock) but with the very quick trans and launch controll enabled, you can get quick times 0-60 where as the Mustang has the power on tap 24/7.

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet
A couple speed3 friends went the VAG route with Audi S3's (Golf R sedan basically) and they're extremely happy. Bolt ons and tune, they'll run 11's all day and 0-60 in 3.9 sec on the street on regular tires. The MQB is pretty well evolved at this point.

The only reason I'd go Golf R over the GT is if you need awd.

As far as packages.... I do think sync 3 is worth it. The performance pack? Probably not unless you plan on doing HPDE events

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would recommend test driving a performance package GT. I think you’ll have your answer pretty quick. The car sells itself.

As far as reliability, the MT82 did have some questionable years but the majority of the issues are non existent in the newest model years. These cars are very dependable and while the fit and finish will always be Ford quality versus some better known examples, it’s not poor by any standards and the interiors don’t start falling apart after 5 years.

Not to knock the brands you’re familiar with, but if the build quality of the Genesis was OK with you and the reliability of a Mini or VW doesn’t deter you, I think you’re in a good spot. The Mustang will always be a more simple and less expensive vehicle to repair if needed.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
One of the first mods you should do is a better shifter and/or a shifter support bracket. Both will greatly improve the reliability, shift feel and overall driving experience of the MT-82. If you can swing both get both, you wont regret it.

Last edited:

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
Also, being willing to travel or have the car shipped will likely save you a good bit of money. Two forum dealers (one in PA, on in IA) sell ordered 2022 Mustangs at 4% under invoice (invoice not MSRP) On my totally base 2022, with a rebate that showed up, thats about $4-$4.5k off of list.

I like the lightest/cheapest base car and modding to my taste. All personal preference and goals.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
If you can find a rental -rent one for a day before purchase. Thats the best test drive. The one option I was amazed by is the active exhaust. I'd never buy one without. Not sure what bmw you are comparing to but nothing in that or Audi was close to what I paid for similar equipment. Also their maintenance costs are higher. Unless you are planning on tracking it the performance pack is not needed. The GT is unique in even the pony car segment. A blast to drive and own.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
To be honest if I was dead set on a manual transmission I'd consider the Camaro SS. It handles better and comes with a Tremec. Negatives are styling, visibility, and trunk space.

BMW price tag? I doubt any BMW that matches the performance of the GT is competitive on price.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
To be honest if I was dead set on a manual transmission I'd consider the Camaro SS. It handles better and comes with a Tremec. Negatives are styling, visibility, and trunk space.

BMW price tag? I doubt any BMW that matches the performance of the GT is competitive on price.
What's the difference between a BMW driver and a cactus?

The pricks are on the inside of a BMW.
An oldie but a goodie.

The lack of trunk space (especially with the vert) takes the Camaro out of the equation for me. If you are using it strictly as a track car however.....

Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Getting x-plan pricing will save $$$ in Florida, big discount in processing fees. Join the Mustang Club or Costco or look for other x-plan deals. I get 26-27 mpg on trips, not so good around town but it would be much better if I kept my foot out of it (but I didn't buy it for that). You can put regular gas in it, won't hurt a thing except a small loss in power.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Last mustang was 6 years old, and the interior was like new except for drivers seat.
The edges facing the door were showing fading from rubbing getting in and out.

Fuel economy - hear a woman comment she loved driving her truck, and $10/week more in fuel was nothing compared to the feeling of security if she had an accident. VW isnt going to survive a pickup. BTW I had about a 20 year span of VWs. Great cars while made in Germany. Last was Mexico - and thats why it was the last. Rust, and mechanical issues.
My last mustang was a V6, and I'm only about 1.3L/100 more in economy with the 8.

American cars these days last 10 years on average before issues come up. reading about issues in a forum, you are looking at a small percentage of people - even in the forum itself. Worked in an assembly plant ... we built 1300 pickups every day, 800 on Saturdays. If there was a high number of repairs after sale ... the volume would bankrupt the manufacturer. You dont hear from the folks that go 100K miles routinely without an issue, you hear about the one that had an issue in the first 5k.

Manual is fun - but 98% of my driving involves stoplights and traffic. Working a clutch has become a drudge. The auto will spin the tires just by hititng the gas - dont need a clutch to be a hooigan. Paddle shifter is great ... the little burst downshifting for the rev match feature is a nice sound effect. Theres things to like about the auto too.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
im sure many here will say something like who cares about fuel economy, dont get a v8 if you're concerned about that, blah blah. well not all of us are going full tilt 100 % of the time we are driving. i have been impressed with the fuel economy of my A10 GT. if i am doing just highway driving and just want to get somewhere and not waste gas, i can drive conservatively and knock out close to 30mpg. ive set the cruise to 65 for shits and giggles and did over 30mpg on multiple occasions. that being said, when you want to have fun, put it in sport mode and have at it. i do my fair share of both, so it's great to have the options. not sure how this changes with the 6spd vs the A10, however. i assume the 6spd is relatively close based upon how conservatively you drive. never looked into the camaros for gas mileage, so cant offer anything useful there. my vote is the camaro or mustang over the VW. i had a VW and i liked the car itself, but i did not like the cost of parts and having to deal with VW. i wont buy another VW from my experience. but to each.

main point, the old days of 7mpg out of a v8 seem to be gone. unless you drive hard all the time, which can be hard to resist, but that's why you want a v8 anyways. i am surprised at how much better the mustang gets compared to the 18 explorer sport i had (TT 3.5 v6) i know, heavy SUV, but i thought being a smaller v6 would have gotten better mileage. i was pleasantly surprised with the mustang 5.0.

also, FWIW- i have a 95 mustang and a 19 and interior wise, they seem to have come a long way. so i do have that to compare apples to apples. while the 19 is not exactly at BMW/benz craftsmanship levels, it's improved a lot. i also didnt get my 95 till it had 98k on it (i was 16 when i bought it) and the 19 i bought with 18k. i think the interior defects of the older mustangs are more inherent in the design, rather than based on use. my 95 was well maintained even up to 98k. so i personally wouldnt avoid the mustang due to this. again camaro, i dont really know. i had a 2016 camaro as a rental for a weekend and did not dislike the interior for it feeling cheap or anything like that. my sister had a 95 camaro and the interior felt much more cheaply put together. worse than my 95 mustang. i think both have come a long way regarding that.

Last edited:

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
Last mustang was 6 years old, and the interior was like new except for drivers seat.
The edges facing the door were showing fading from rubbing getting in and out.

Fuel economy - hear a woman comment she loved driving her truck, and $10/week more in fuel was nothing compared to the feeling of security if she had an accident. VW isnt going to survive a pickup. BTW I had about a 20 year span of VWs. Great cars while made in Germany. Last was Mexico - and thats why it was the last. Rust, and mechanical issues.
My last mustang was a V6, and I'm only about 1.3L/100 more in economy with the 8.

American cars these days last 10 years on average before issues come up. reading about issues in a forum, you are looking at a small percentage of people - even in the forum itself. Worked in an assembly plant ... we built 1300 pickups every day, 800 on Saturdays. If there was a high number of repairs after sale ... the volume would bankrupt the manufacturer. You dont hear from the folks that go 100K miles routinely without an issue, you hear about the one that had an issue in the first 5k.

Manual is fun - but 98% of my driving involves stoplights and traffic. Working a clutch has become a drudge. The auto will spin the tires just by hititng the gas - dont need a clutch to be a hooigan. Paddle shifter is great ... the little burst downshifting for the rev match feature is a nice sound effect. Theres things to like about the auto too.
interesting. my Jetta TDI was a Mexico car. i didnt know there was a reputation for varying quality. i would have assumed VW stayed on top of quality control fairly well but also never dug into it very deeply.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
If you don't do too much driving it's fine. for a daily, it WILL cost you some money in gas 4 sure with a small tank and a big engine that prefers premium........
Sponsored