Sponsored

Shocks + springs vs ride height adjustable coilovers ?

antenox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT convertible
I'm weighing the notion of swapping out my car's stock suspension ('16 GT/CS Premium Convertible, no PP), and since it's my first time, I was looking at the full breadth of options available to me. I don't plan on tracking it, but I do like to take it out on spirited mountain drives here in California, so I'd appreciate a bit more performance-oriented suspension without ruining the ride quality.

I like the idea of having rebound/compression adjustment, but since I'm not really going to track my car, going full bore on $3k fully adjustable coilovers seems like overkill, whereas most of the coilovers in the $1-1.5k range only seem to offer ride height adjustment, and the "triple adjustable" ones for $1.5k or less scare me a bit because I've read that coilovers that are too cheap are a bad idea.

Since I'm planning to have a set ride height (~1-1.5" drop), am I better off just going with lowering springs and a good set of shocks (e.g. Koni Special Actives or Steeda Pro-Actives)? Or am I overlooking any good coilovers in the $1-2k range that allow compression/rebound adjustment?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There are no GOOD multi-adjustable coilovers that don't cost around 3 grand, IMO - RideTech, JRI, Ohlins, Cortex etc. I'm eager to see where the QA1 MOD series (https://www.qa1.net/automotive/suspension/shocks-struts-coil-overs/mod-series-shocks) prices when it gets released later this year (supposedly late spring)

200/800 springs married to Bilstein should be plenty good (https://www.ajusa.com/shop-by-brand/bilstein.html?find=2017-ford-mustang-gt--88405&sid=bSsXpdMtEh). You can get adjustable Bilsteins for $2600 $1800 (48-253901)
) and preload adjustable Bilsteins for just shy of $900 (https://hotpart.com/product/2015-20...-performance-struts-shocks-without-magneride/ - they are made in Germany, they wouldn't divulge who but I suspect Bilstein). Alternatively run the Steeda Active's.

The only 2k coilovers I know of that are likely decent and maybe even good are from Fortune Auto (https://shop-fortune-auto.com/colle...s/ford-mustang-s550-2015-510-series-coilovers) at $2200.

Lots of people use the Ford Performance Track pack and are very happy with the results. And it's quite inexpensive.
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/p-2015-2016-mustang-track-strut-and-shock-kit-m18000f

I highly suggest using only Eibach's spring bumpers instead of any other brands or suppliers when needed.
BS770060 (rear) and BS770044 (front)

Last edited:

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
https://groundcontrolstore.com/coll.../2015-mustang-s550-adjustable-ride-height-kit

No one talks about this system. This is the best I have found if you don't do coilovers. You can pick your rates so if you want the BMR springs which is nothing special just pick the BMR rates and you have basically the same thing plus RH control. I am shocked at this "performance" car that has not adjustment for RH or the ability to adjust to corner balance. The ground control system looks like you can do both. So lets say you like FP struts/shocks and BMR handling springs. Well those BMR rates are x and y. You order those rates from ground control and put them on the FP strut/shocks and you got an adjustable system.

I think this is super important. I race only and I have to be able to tune my chassis with RH and corner balance my car.

OP
OP

antenox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT convertible
200/800 springs married to Bilstein should be plenty good (https://www.ajusa.com/shop-by-brand/bilstein.html?find=2017-ford-mustang-gt--88405&sid=bSsXpdMtEh). You can get adjustable Bilsteins for $2600 and preload adjustable Bilsteins for just shy of $900 (https://hotpart.com/product/2015-20...-performance-struts-shocks-without-magneride/ - they are made in Germany, they wouldn't divulge who but I suspect Bilstein). Alternatively run the Steeda Active's
I found those B16 Bilsteins for ~$1,800 on TireRack.com. Am i missing something? Why are the ones on TireRack so much less expensive than the ones you linked?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea why AJ USA's price is that far off for that one kit. They generally have the best price on the lesser SKUs. 3 other retailers (Summit, LM Performance, Stage3) all have the SKU at $1800 as well.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I really do not like the thinking " oh yeah, coilovers are for ride height adjustment"...they are for SO much more than that.
The adjustable spring perches are really for using a wider range of spring lengths so you can truly get the exact rate you want, corner balancing the car so it handles and corners evenly, and to get the car low enough to maximize the aero benefit (splitters lose their aero gain and efficiency the higher off the ground they are.)

I'm a firm believer in that if you do not competitively race your car, you have no business with coilovers. Now if one simply wants to lower their car purely for the looks, I suppose cheap coilovers are a simple and cost effective solution but I hate that, over time, this has created the ideology and thinking that coilovers are INTENDED for getting your car low and that's it.

To answer the OP's question, because you do not track your car, you do not need coilovers. Save your money. There are plenty of solid spring and shock combinations that will give you the sporty feel and ride height you're looking for, at a significantly lower price.

10SpeedDemon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Dre
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Trying to make this decision as we speak. I honestly like the adjustability of a coil for the most part. Does anybody know anything about BC racing coils ?

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Another issue is the best coilovers use a shorter shock body with the design intention to lower the car. You need that short body to maintain shock travel. Lack of travel is especially bad in the s550 so you don't rip the rear top shock mount. That's a key reason why keeping the divorced spring is good but then you don't have the infinite spring choice for cheap of a 2.5" coilover spring from every great manufacturer. So far the cheapest real performance shock is the mcs guys who broke away when moton was sold. They are still a bit cheaper than say penskes probably because they are only a few years old as company trying to gain market share. Their bargin price is around $4500. I know that because I'm waiting for my set to arrive.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's a key reason why keeping the divorced spring is good but then you don't have the infinite spring choice for cheap of a 2.5" coilover spring from every great manufacturer.
I've seen several examples of preload-adjustable setups for divorced spring. I don't know what spring size they are mated to but I would assume 2.5".

Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

Bluedream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT DIB premium pp, 2017 Focus RS
Trying to make this decision as we speak. I honestly like the adjustability of a coil for the most part. Does anybody know anything about BC racing coils ?
BC should work fine, had them on my last car, still rides good if you go pretty low. be warned tho that if you live anywhere with salt or snow the collars will lock up and you wont be able to adjust the height(I think because the body is not high quality). adjusting the on the fly is easy as well. If you do end up blowing a strut or shock it cost $100 to replace. adjusting the height is a pain because you will have to remove the tire and measure to get all 4 sides to be even. Had them on my Subaru for over 15 years and only one went bad. I went with lowering springs on the mustang because I felt I didn't need to adjust the height all the time.
Sponsored