Sponsored

Shipping SC2 tires in winter - cracking?

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Time for me to order SC2s for new wheels, the couple places I asked said the wait would be a week because they would come from such and such place from across the country. Are the cold temps from shipping a problem? Half feeling like a dummy for the question but figured I better doublecheck before parting with my $2k.
Sponsored

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If they are exposed to hard freezes and then loaded right onto a car a driven...maybe.

But as long as you let them slowly get up to ambient temp then mounting and driving you will be fine. There's special instructions summer and race tires come with dealing with cold exposure. Check what Michelin has to say.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

Sponsored

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
If that's the case, why was my build date 2/27/19? Did it magically warm up in 2 days when March arrived? Or maybe they were having an exceptionally warm winter, and decided to start building a few cars early? :idea:
Heated trailer....? 🤔 😳

Just an article I remember reading

Last edited:

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
tires aren't compressed/load bearing during transport so no, it doesn't matter. You guys act like <40F is the same as dipping them in liquid Nitro and will shatter if you look at them wrong.
Lol relax - some folks on here are simply asking honest questions about whatever they're unfamiliar with/unsure about, and are reaching out to those who are more knowledgeable. There was a time when we all didn't know something about something.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
There was a time when we all didn't know something about something.
I don't think my memory goes back that far. ha ha
And since we don't see XKCD references on this forum near enough if at all, the obligatory
duty_calls.png

https://xkcd.com/386/

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I certainly hope the tires aren't as fragile as some are saying. I just bought my Shelby last month, and have no garage to store it in. It's presently covered in my backyard, sitting on Flatstopper ramps, with the tire pressure increased to 35 psi. I don't intend to move it until temps reach 50°. I'll let you know sometime in Spring how the tires held up.
Btw, if they are damaged, it'll just give me an excuse to buy a set of Pilot Super Sport.

Sponsored

ADDGAMER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I certainly hope the tires aren't as fragile as some are saying. I just bought my Shelby last month, and have no garage to store it in. It's presently covered in my backyard, sitting on Flatstopper ramps, with the tire pressure increased to 35 psi. I don't intend to move it until temps reach 50°. I'll let you know sometime in Spring how the tires held up.
Btw, if they are damaged, it'll just give me an excuse to buy a set of Pilot Super Sport.
I have mine in a carport, flat stoppers, PSI jacked way up. They were fine this year when I woke her up in the spring. No flat spots, no cracks. Expecting the same in May.

dem00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Ruby Red
You can contact Michelin, they'll respond to a inquiry like this. Tire manufactures will talk to their customers, unlike many OEM's.

BeastAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
It just depends. Storing a car's tires indoors would take a lot less abuse then in everyday outdoor temperatures. Take a good look at them when your ready to start driving on them again. The tire is super soft, compared to all-season or normal summer tires. But just like dem00n stated, if you have a question about storage/useage, hit up Michelin.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I have mine in a carport, flat stoppers, PSI jacked way up. They were fine this year when I woke her up in the spring. No flat spots, no cracks. Expecting the same in May.
What PSI exactly? I know Michelin says max 50 PSI.

ADDGAMER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
What PSI exactly? I know Michelin says max 50 PSI.
I believe I did 45 all around. Again, zero flat spots when I pulled the car out of storage this year, so I did the same thing when I prepped it for this winter.
Sponsored