Sponsored

Ship or drive with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires…cold temps under 40

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Now that my order has arrived at Granger, I’m going back and forth in getting it out here to Colorado with these summer only tires. From what I’ve read, these tires shouldn’t be used in freezing condition as they lose traction due to colder temps, and can actually crack with temps under 30. I wasn’t considering driving at all if there was any chance of snow/rain.

I was watching the weather and hoping for a decent window with temps in 40s and dry roads, but looks like weather is finally turning and getting colder in the Midwest...10-30s.

Based on the cold temps and the mold release agent which takes a few hundred miles to wear off, it looks like I should just move ahead and having it shipped. One positive is keeping the miles down until I install a paint protection film of some type.

I assume there are others in a similar situation when purchasing from a distant dealer.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Cold tire or old tire = no bueno.
Id bring a set, you’re leaving the Midwest in the dead of winter.

OP
OP
cheeser

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
Cold tire or old tire = no bueno.
Id bring a set, you’re leaving the Midwest in the dead of winter.
I forgot to add I would fly out to Des Moines…can’t bring another set of tires :-). I considered having all seasons installed, but dismissed that as I only plan on driving this in decent weather.

Trailering is out as well…so it’s either fly and drive back, or ship.

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
I m going to drive mine home even in the colder weather. I got about 250 mile trip and I ll go on the warmest dry day of the week it comes in. I ve driven from Fla to NY in Feb on summers. Long as it s dry and you take it very easy. Unless these are different then other summer tires, I haven t ruined a set driving them easy in cold. Now if there a chance of snow then forget it. I will also ask dealer if they ll credit me those tires and put a set of A/S tires, but I doubt they will.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
You'll be fine in those temps. If it drops below 20 I'd consider shipping definitely.

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Another option, see if dealer would offer storage for a fee for 3-4 months, then fly out and drive it back in April/May

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I would ship it if you got the dough since you won't risk picking up a rock chip on the good ole Midwest roads. I'm sure roads have had sand put down and that means small pebbles throughout the road.

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
TBH by the time you pay for gas an hotels you probably aren't saving much by driving it back. It might be a fun trip in warmer weather, but I don't think I'd want to do it in winter. Make sure they leave all the paint protection and shipping blocks on until you decide what you are doing.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
When I ordered from them I asked about this. They said they’d swap in all seasons for me and help me to ship home the summer tires. I figure ship 2 and put 2 in the rear.
I’m crossing my fingers for a late enough delivery. If I get scheduled soon I’ll have to ship the car because i90 requires snow chains. I’m not putting chains on a sub-1,000 mile mustang.

Sponsored

ToughSpecs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Edge
As long as there isn’t snow, you should be fine as long as you don’t drive like an idiot. I’m still driving my 275/305 PSS setup on my Paxton car.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Not a fan of breaking in an engine by driving on the freeway. Specially these plasma sprayed cylinders. Unless you can drive back roads or know how to vary speed, I'd ship this time of year.

It needs several runs to red line and coast back to idle if you want good ring seal.

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
Picking up my Mach 1 from Granger tomorrow- I’m visiting my folks in Omaha, then driving back to Oklahoma in a week. I’m not super concerned; doesn’t look like a high chance of snow, and the roads haven’t been salted yet. You should be good to go for I-80 if you hurry.

But yea, no harm in shipping. It just worked best for me this way 🤷🏼‍♂️. Also I really want to meet Zach and Jay in person.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
It was 55 degrees here today in Colorado. Not sure when you plan to drive back but the rest of the week looks like the same temps. If you had the Cup 2's I would say just ship it. I picked mine up in OH when the temps were only 35 degrees there...but I was driving to GA and the weather warmed up the further I drove South. The Michelins will be fine unless you are driving across the mountains.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I had people tell me that when I bought my Z06. I drove and varied the RPMs by driving in 4th, 5th and 6th and never touched 7th. The paddle shifters or manual takes that out of the equation.

I think your way of getting a good ring seal is ok, but I am sure a lot of people will break their car in, as per the manufactors recommendation.

Not a fan of breaking in an engine by driving on the freeway. Specially these plasma sprayed cylinders. Unless you can drive back roads or know how to vary speed, I'd ship this time of year.

It needs several runs to red line and coast back to idle if you want good ring seal.

Sponsored