Sponsored

Shifting Impovements (6MT) for a Street Driven Ecoboost

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
FWIW, I have a GT but I think the transmissions are the same. I added: a Blowfish Racing bracket, changed the transmission fluid to BG Synchroshift 2, and swapped the shifter knob to a solid steel Anarchy Motive (there are other similar ones available).

It's still the MT82 transmission, but the overall difference is significant. It feels like a different transmission. It shifts the way it should have from the factory. Much smoother, no hanging up in gears.

I only drive on the street, no tracking, but the combination of those simple changes has made it completely satisfying for me.
Sponsored

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
This has been helpful. Thanks a lot. You're really selling me on it haha
You're welcome, always glad to help. The weighted knob is one of those things that sounds crazy the first time you hear about it but if you get the opportunity to try it, you quickly realize the difference.

Raceseng has a version of the Slammer that fits with the OEM reverse lockout. So it's a simple plug & play, just spin off the old and spin on the new. I ended up getting their version of the lockout as I wanted the black to match the knob but it's not required.

They are pricey but they have sales every so often. I got mine I believe 30% off on Black Friday.

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
Nice. It's been tricky finding people that have experience with the Ford shifter. Has it increased NVH much? I read that sometimes it causes the reverse collar to rattle. Is that something you've noticed?

I like the idea of this shifter because it should just tighten up the stock experience. Making it how it should have been sent from the factory.
I've upgraded the reverse collar from the plastic unit to the Steeda metal unit, as a precaution against failure, but no rattle issues.
I'd agree with the comments about the Ecoboost being happier to ride the torque & staying on boost, rather than pushing revs. Mines custom tuned but the torque limiting in 1st & 2nd gear (a feature of the factory tuning too on Ford's high torque turbos in my experience), so the fun starts in 3rd gear.

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
22' Mustang EB HPP+HP ; 96
FWIW, I have a GT but I think the transmissions are the same. I added: a Blowfish Racing bracket, changed the transmission fluid to BG Synchroshift 2, and swapped the shifter knob to a solid steel Anarchy Motive (there are other similar ones available).

It's still the MT82 transmission, but the overall difference is significant. It feels like a different transmission. It shifts the way it should have from the factory. Much smoother, no hanging up in gears.

I only drive on the street, no tracking, but the combination of those simple changes has made it completely satisfying for me.
Did the Blowfish add any NVH to the cabin?

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
I've upgraded the reverse collar from the plastic unit to the Steeda metal unit, as a precaution against failure, but no rattle issues.
I'd agree with the comments about the Ecoboost being happier to ride the torque & staying on boost, rather than pushing revs. Mines custom tuned but the torque limiting in 1st & 2nd gear (a feature of the factory tuning too on Ford's high torque turbos in my experience), so the fun starts in 3rd gear.
I'm glad to hear the collar works, that's an easy fix.

I don't know how different the HPP power delivery is, but the power is good up until around 5000rpm. 3rd gear is definitely a higher speed gear, but 1&2 are still good for traffic.

Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Did the Blowfish add any NVH to the cabin?
It did not add any NVH to the cabin.

The shifter vibrates a little more than it did stock, but that doesn’t bother me since you’re not supposed to be driving with your hand on the shifter for long periods. It just feels like the old Ford top loader in that regard.

The most noticeable change is the console heats up more. The bracket, being all metal, seems to transmit heat from the transmission to the shifter, which then heats the plastic console. It’s not a problem, but is noticeable if you put your hand on the console just behind the shifter.

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
It did not add any NVH to the cabin.

The shifter vibrates a little more than it did stock, but that doesn’t bother me since you’re not supposed to be driving with your hand on the shifter for long periods. It just feels like the old Ford top loader in that regard.

The most noticeable change is the console heats up more. The bracket, being all metal, seems to transmit heat from the transmission to the shifter, which then heats the plastic console. It’s not a problem, but is noticeable if you put your hand on the console just behind the shifter.
I actually like when the shifter moves as well. I have a 96' cobra with the T56 transmission and that thing SHAKES.

What you're saying about the bracket makes a lot of sense. I wonder if there's a way to heat wrap it? Might not be worth the effort though. Thanks for the info!

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I installed the Steeda Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter in my Ecoboost. Took a while, but it was a fun install, imo. I enjoy working on my car and learning how everything works and goes together. Yes, there were some tight squeezes, but I had all the tools needed to do it right. Only regret is the Steeda shift knob. $65 for a lightweight knob that looks really cool, but really adds nothing else to the equation. I should have read Steeda's description a little more carefully - clearly these knobs are about style over substance.

So, notchiness... I wish I could drive some other Mustangs with the MT-82 to see how they compare and also just try to understand what others are referring to when they use terms like notchy, lockout, etc... Although I've used the term notchy to describe mine, I'd also say there's some grinding going on when going into certain gears. Using Royal Purple currently, but thinking of changing to Motul or BG Synchro soon to see if I can reduce or eliminate.

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
I installed the Steeda Tri-Ax Race Short Throw Shifter in my Ecoboost. Took a while, but it was a fun install, imo. I enjoy working on my car and learning how everything works and goes together. Yes, there were some tight squeezes, but I had all the tools needed to do it right. Only regret is the Steeda shift knob. $65 for a lightweight knob that looks really cool, but really adds nothing else to the equation. I should have read Steeda's description a little more carefully - clearly these knobs are about style over substance.

So, notchiness... I wish I could drive some other Mustangs with the MT-82 to see how they compare and also just try to understand what others are referring to when they use terms like notchy, lockout, etc... Although I've used the term notchy to describe mine, I'd also say there's some grinding going on when going into certain gears. Using Royal Purple currently, but thinking of changing to Motul or BG Synchro soon to see if I can reduce or eliminate.
Notchiness usually refers to the resistance you feel putting the lever into gear. The factory shifter, particularly when cold, is pretty notchy. It doesn't slide into gear smoothly or without a little fight. Not all notchiness is bad. A lot of people describe 'good' notchiness as feeling like a bolt-action rifle. This is when the lever goes into gear with a pleasing mechanical resistance. 'Bad' notchiness feels like the shifter is being obstructed by something when it shouldn't be.

So with the Tri Ax race, does it go into gear smoothly, or does it take some muscle? And if it does take muscle, is it satisfiying?

I've been told a few times about how much of a positive difference both of the Trans Fluids you mentioned have. I hope the work for you.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
I liked the FTBR bracket so well on my Ecoboost that I bought one again when I swapped drivetrain to the Coyote. That and Motul DCTF is a great combo. A bit more NVH as the shifter is then mounted to the trans, but thats a tradeoff you have to accept if you want more precise shifts.

I have my FTBR Ecoboost bracket for sale now BTW if interested.

Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I actually like when the shifter moves as well. I have a 96' cobra with the T56 transmission and that thing SHAKES.

What you're saying about the bracket makes a lot of sense. I wonder if there's a way to heat wrap it? Might not be worth the effort though. Thanks for the info!
Heat wrapping the the bracket sounds like a good idea. I imagine it would slow down the heat transfer, but probably not block it completely on a long drive. If I was doing a fresh installation I'd wrap it in something. But it's not worth the effort to take it apart and do it all over again.

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
I liked the FTBR bracket so well on my Ecoboost that I bought one again when I swapped drivetrain to the Coyote. That and Motul DCTF is a great combo. A bit more NVH as the shifter is then mounted to the trans, but thats a tradeoff you have to accept if you want more precise shifts.

I have my FTBR Ecoboost bracket for sale now BTW if interested.
For that bracket, was the added NVH noise & rattles? Or just the shift lever shaking more than usual?

Rorysbrown

Threads
Reaction score
Website
mymustang.ca
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang Coupe 2.3L High Performance + HP + 6M
I'm glad to see this thread. I have a Race Red 2023 Mustang 2.3L HPP+HP arriving in early April. I have the VIN now. Looking to find out more about this model to improve. Mach-E GT gone now, missed the manual. Going back to my roots.

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
I'm glad to see this thread. I have a Race Red 2023 Mustang 2.3L HPP+HP arriving in early April. I have the VIN now. Looking to find out more about this model to improve. Mach-E GT gone now, missed the manual. Going back to my roots.
That's awesome! I'm excited for you!

Hopefully this thread can help you out when it's time to make your mods.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
For that bracket, was the added NVH noise & rattles? Or just the shift lever shaking more than usual?
Vibrations, no rattles. I then added a weighted shift knob and that took care of the objectionable vibrations and I loved it from there.
Sponsored