GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
22' Mustang EB HPP+HP ; 96
Hello All,

I've taken my time to search through the archives for all of the shifter talk on this site + reddit, etc. My question is specifically for street-driven Ecoboosts. I'd like to hear people's personal opinions on various products that I've seen pop up on here. I think I'm good on the MGW and Barton (Hybrid) shifters. I understand that the consensus is that they are the pinnacle for performance applications. I actually have an MGW shifter on my 96' Cobra and it's awesome for that engine combo.

However I feel like the Ecoboosts cars are better suited for constant shifting. Searching for boost is one of the great joys of driving a turbo charged car and I want a shifter that enhances that feeling. It doesn't help that I'm coming from a hot hatch (Fiesta St) that was super slick shifting, but I'd like to chase a bit of that sensation. I also really love the pull-to-reverse motion. I don't ever want another push down reverse car.

I don't race and don't plan to (with this car). I like to have fun driving down the odd empty street, down shifting to make turns, rev matching everywhere. Just basic stuff that a good shifter can enhance. I don't hate the stock shifter once it's warmed up. The throws are just long and a little clunky. I've missed 3rd before and 5th gear is awkward. If I can clean these things up while keeping the NVH at a decent level, I'll be happy. Can you guys please let me know what combination of things I'll need to achieve this?

Thank you!

Stuff I've seen mentioned :

Trans Fluid :
- BG Synchroshift II
- Motul Multi DCTF

Stabilizers :
- Steeda Shifter Base Bushing kit
- Boomba Trans Mount (Street)
- Energy Suspension Shifter Bushing

Brackets :
- Full Tilt Boogie Shifter Bracket
- Blowfish Bracket (I read they were back)

Shifters :
- Ford Performance Short Throw
- Boomba Short Throw
- Steeda Tri Ax Street
- Steeda Tri Ax Race
- Barton Short Throw w/ 2 post bracket

PXL_20230116_004331250.jpg
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That's a nice car. I'm sure it's very rare to find an HPP in that green.

If I were you I'd start simple, get a shift knob to your preferences and a trans mount insert. See if you like it and go from there. A 3-500 gram knob does wonders for feel.

I run the Motul Multi DCTF in my car and found it does improve shift feel and quality a little bit as well, especially in the cold. It's a bit of a pain to swap out though without a lift.

Justgonna send it

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6spd
Iā€™ll second that.shift solutions great weighted knob. My wife has a white 2020 HPP and Iā€™m also looking for more shifter upgrades the notches drive me crazy. Wish Barton would make shifter for the ecoboost. Then it would be a done deal.

5C06116A-65BB-4108-8A24-08BD78D9FDC8.jpeg

9D777BCE-7A1B-4277-8447-666F1BEF50D3.jpeg

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
That's a nice car. I'm sure it's very rare to find an HPP in that green.

If I were you I'd start simple, get a shift knob to your preferences and a trans mount insert. See if you like it and go from there. A 3-500 gram knob does wonders for feel.

I run the Motul Multi DCTF in my car and found it does improve shift feel and quality a little bit as well, especially in the cold. It's a bit of a pain to swap out though without a lift.
Thank you! I appreciate it!

The shifter is a good suggestion! I've been eyeing a 350 gram shifter for a while now, so that could work out. Which shifter do you have?

And has the Motul improved the low temp operation for your shifter at all?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Thank you! I appreciate it!

The shifter is a good suggestion! I've been eyeing a 350 gram shifter for a while now, so that could work out. Which shifter do you have?

And has the Motul improved the low temp operation for your shifter at all?
I use a latheworks titanium sphere which is like 280g. Stock is 160 or so if I remember correctly.

And yes, it's in general less notchy and feels as though the synchros have less drag when they engage.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™ll second that.shift solutions great weighted knob. My wife has a white 2020 HPP and Iā€™m also looking for more shifter upgrades the notches drive me crazy. Wish Barton would make shifter for the ecoboost. Then it would be a done deal.

5C06116A-65BB-4108-8A24-08BD78D9FDC8.jpeg

9D777BCE-7A1B-4277-8447-666F1BEF50D3.jpeg
That shift knob is awesome! Does the heavy weight really make that much of a difference or have you done other mods (trans fluid, bracket, etc)?

Also, Barton does make a shifter for the Ecoboost (link below) but I haven't found anyone who's tried it. I'm really curious.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/barton-short-shifter-2post-bracket-1516.html#customer_reviews

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
I use a latheworks titanium sphere which is like 280g. Stock is 160 or so if I remember correctly.

And yes, it's in general less notchy and feels as though the synchros have less drag when they engage.
The one I've been eyeing is also from Lathewerks! I've been following his work for years, he makes incredible stuff.

And that's good to know. I'm leaning towards the BG fluid, but I'm able to get the Motul locally.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The one I've been eyeing is also from Lathewerks! I've been following his work for years, he makes incredible stuff.

And that's good to know. I'm leaning towards the BG fluid, but I'm able to get the Motul locally.
Oh I love it! Super satisfying to hold.
20230110_184555.jpg

The BG works well for most people, but it's MUCH thicker than the stock fill. The Motul is only a smidge thicker, so I went with that.

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
I've had the Ford Performance short throw shifter for 5+ years. It improved the throw distance and when pushing help keep the car on boost and riding the torque.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Replacing a shift knob is one part of the equation.

If you want a real change, you have to replace the shifting mechanism. Others that have installed replacement shift mechanisms can chime in, but I've read it means a lot of labor. You have to lower the trans to install something like a Steeda Tri-Ax, which I've heard is the pinnacle of shifters.

Sponsored

Justgonna send it

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6spd
That shift knob is awesome! Does the heavy weight really make that much of a difference or have you done other mods (trans fluid, bracket, etc)?

Also, Barton does make a shifter for the Ecoboost (link below) but I haven't found anyone who's tried it. I'm really curious.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/barton-short-shifter-2post-bracket-1516.html#customer_reviews
yea it make some difference. And the Barton I was wishing for was the hybrid 3 like I have on my GT. Now that thing is the cats meow šŸ˜ø. Complete game changer.

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
Oh I love it! Super satisfying to hold.
20230110_184555.jpg

The BG works well for most people, but it's MUCH thicker than the stock fill. The Motul is only a smidge thicker, so I went with that.
That looks great!

That's good to know. I like to the idea of sticking closer to the stock weight.

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
I've had the Ford Performance short throw shifter for 5+ years. It improved the throw distance and when pushing help keep the car on boost and riding the torque.
Nice. It's been tricky finding people that have experience with the Ford shifter. Has it increased NVH much? I read that sometimes it causes the reverse collar to rattle. Is that something you've noticed?

I like the idea of this shifter because it should just tighten up the stock experience. Making it how it should have been sent from the factory.

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
Replacing a shift knob is one part of the equation.

If you want a real change, you have to replace the shifting mechanism. Others that have installed replacement shift mechanisms can chime in, but I've read it means a lot of labor. You have to lower the trans to install something like a Steeda Tri-Ax, which I've heard is the pinnacle of shifters.
That's more or less what I've been hearing. Have you replaced your shifter?

OP
OP
GreenMachine22

GreenMachine22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gabriel
Vehicle(s)
yea it make some difference. And the Barton I was wishing for was the hybrid 3 like I have on my GT. Now that thing is the cats meow šŸ˜ø. Complete game changer.
Yeah, I was bummed to find that they don't make the full shifter for Ecoboost. I'm really curious how the Shifter + 2 post bracket is though. I'm sure at least (1) person on this forum has it haha
Sponsored