Shifter sticking in gear at 0 mph

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Also curious as to the outcome of this. I'm experiencing the exact same thing with my Mantic twin. This weekend I will be pulling it out to start troubleshooting. I feel that it's air in the slave.
Sponsored

Nutones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
c.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT S550
Platinum 5.0, did you determine the cause with the Mantic?

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
My RST does the same thing. If it blows up, fine, I’ll have an excuse to fix it/get a different clutch.

Platinum_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 10R Whipple
Platinum 5.0, did you determine the cause with the Mantic?
I actually pulled the transmission out last night. I'm fairly confident that there was air in the system. I know the slave wasn't bench bled. Just going over some measurements on the clutch now and going to bleed the slave and put it back together and see what happens!

Nutones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
c.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT S550
Hmmm! Good luck and please let us know the outcome. I'm having the same problem with my clutch (a McLeod RXT) and just received a mantic I ordered thinking that something could be wrong with the clutch unit itself. The shoppe that installed the RXT unit replaced the throwout bearing but didn't bench bleed it, there still could be air in it. I think I will ask the shoppe to drop the transmission and bench bleed the throwout bearing to see if that resolves it and just keep the mantic as a spare for when the RXT disintegrates.

Sponsored

Nutones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
c.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT S550
Hey Platinum 5.0: how did it go with beach bleeding the throwout bearing?
I actually pulled the transmission out last night. I'm fairly confident that there was air in the system. I know the slave wasn't bench bled. Just going over some measurements on the clutch now and going to bleed the slave and put it back together and see what happens!

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Hey guys!

I have an MT82 and I just had a Mcleod RST clutch, lightened steel flywheel, and SS clutch line installed. Starting the day I got the car back, the shifter would get stuck in gear at 0 mph if I go from 1st gear to neutral or 2nd gear to neutral (it'll happen in any gear). It requires me to use a bit of extra force to get it to go into neutral.

This only happens maybe once or twice per day, but it seems like it could either cause further damage or it could be hinting at a bigger issue. It mainly happens when I go to back into a parking spot. I'll pull forward in 1st gear and then when I go to shift into reverse, the shifter will feel like it's stuck in 1st until I pull it pretty hard to get it into neutral. The exhaust note will audibly change once it's in neutral, but the car doesn't seem to roll while it's stuck.

The issue started with the stock shifter, but I've since swapped to an MGW shifter and the issue hasn't gotten better (or worse...same thing).

What do you guys think is causing it? My mechanic suggested it may be something inside the transmission, but the fact that it started the day we swapped the clutch makes me think it's something with the clutch.
Did you check the air gap clearance between the throw out bearing and the clutch pressureplate fingers?

You may need to install a spacer behind the throw out bearing.

The stick,being stuck in,gear is probably due to the gap being too large so the throw out bearing isnt travelling far enough to disengage the gear

Pretty common issue with hydraulic throw out bearing systems when you mix match flywheel, clutches etc

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Does the issue occur with the car off?

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
It doesn't occur when the car is off.
Then its caused by clutch lock out not a transmission issue like a broken fork.

Your air gap is too large and u need a spacer behind the throw out bearing. That will solve the issue

Sponsored

Nutones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
c.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT S550
Then its caused by clutch lock out not a transmission issue like a broken fork.

Your air gap is too large and u need a spacer behind the throw out bearing. That will solve the issue
I spoke with McLeod yesterday regarding the status of my rxt clutch I sent back to them in October to diagnose. They told me that the pressure plate, more specifically the fingers thereon, was not within spec. The out of spec fingers was preventing the throwout bearing from applying enough force against the fingers to disengage the clutch. The rep at McLeod told me that one of the vendors McLeod uses to build their pressure plates for the RXT clutch units might be producing defective pressure plates. McLeod rebuilt my clutch with a new pressure plate and will ship it back to me.

Last edited:

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Hey guys!

I have an MT82 and I just had a Mcleod RST clutch, lightened steel flywheel, and SS clutch line installed. Starting the day I got the car back, the shifter would get stuck in gear at 0 mph if I go from 1st gear to neutral or 2nd gear to neutral (it'll happen in any gear). It requires me to use a bit of extra force to get it to go into neutral.

This only happens maybe once or twice per day, but it seems like it could either cause further damage or it could be hinting at a bigger issue. It mainly happens when I go to back into a parking spot. I'll pull forward in 1st gear and then when I go to shift into reverse, the shifter will feel like it's stuck in 1st until I pull it pretty hard to get it into neutral. The exhaust note will audibly change once it's in neutral, but the car doesn't seem to roll while it's stuck.

The issue started with the stock shifter, but I've since swapped to an MGW shifter and the issue hasn't gotten better (or worse...same thing).

What do you guys think is causing it? My mechanic suggested it may be something inside the transmission, but the fact that it started the day we swapped the clutch makes me think it's something with the clutch.

Same shit happened to me. It's your clutch. I had to send it back to McLeod for them to fix it. They sent it back to me and it was still jacked up. Had to send it back to McLeod and again... then they sent me a brand new one

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I spoke with McLeod yesterday regarding the status of my txt clutch I sent back to them in October to diagnose. They told me that the pressure plate, more specifically the fingers thereon, was not within spec. The out of spec fingers was preventing the throwout bearing from applying enough force against the fingers to disengage the clutch. The rep at McLeod told me that one of the vendors McLeod uses to build their pressure plates for the RXT clutch units might be producing defective pressure plates. McLeod rebuilt my clutch with a new pressure plate and will ship it back to me.
lol I was close. You always want to double check the air gap on these cars. Sucks ass

Nutones

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
c.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT S550
lol I was close. You always want to double check the air gap on these cars. Sucks ass
Very true. When I reported the problem to the shoppe that installed it they suspected that something was wrong with the clutch but didn't have the capability to diagnose it. McLeod should have in place a quality control system that every single clutch unit must pass through before it leaves the facility for the market. Most shoppes will charge you every single time that they have to drop the transmission and McLeod is not going to cover that expense for customers who wound up with a defective clutch.

Last edited:

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Very true. When I reported the problem to the shoppe that installed it they suspected that something was wrong with the clutch but didn't have the capability to diagnose it. McLeod should have in place a quality control system that every single clutch unit must pass through before they leave the facility for the market. Most shoppes will charge you every single time that they have to drop the transmission and McLeod is not going to cover that expense for customers who wound up with a defective clutch.
Agreed thats unacceptable.. Worse you're out the labor cost. Sucks man
Sponsored