3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Hey guys!

I have an MT82 and I just had a Mcleod RST clutch, lightened steel flywheel, and SS clutch line installed. Starting the day I got the car back, the shifter would get stuck in gear at 0 mph if I go from 1st gear to neutral or 2nd gear to neutral (it'll happen in any gear). It requires me to use a bit of extra force to get it to go into neutral.

This only happens maybe once or twice per day, but it seems like it could either cause further damage or it could be hinting at a bigger issue. It mainly happens when I go to back into a parking spot. I'll pull forward in 1st gear and then when I go to shift into reverse, the shifter will feel like it's stuck in 1st until I pull it pretty hard to get it into neutral. The exhaust note will audibly change once it's in neutral, but the car doesn't seem to roll while it's stuck.

The issue started with the stock shifter, but I've since swapped to an MGW shifter and the issue hasn't gotten better (or worse...same thing).

What do you guys think is causing it? My mechanic suggested it may be something inside the transmission, but the fact that it started the day we swapped the clutch makes me think it's something with the clutch.
Sponsored

Last edited:

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
How many miles on the new clutch? Mine did the same (RST) after a couple of hard missed shifts. Turns out the floating plate was warped or cone shaped and the clutch dragged causing same thing you have. I got another RST and spent over a month breaking it in nicely and now it seems ok.

Could be your issue, but to be sure you have to pull the transmission.

A.Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0
not to be off topic, but what wheels are on your white mustang in your avatar, they look sick.

OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
How many miles on the new clutch? Mine did the same (RST) after a couple of hard missed shifts. Turns out the floating plate was warped or cone shaped and the clutch dragged causing same thing you have. I got another RST and spent over a month breaking it in nicely and now it seems ok.

Could be your issue, but to be sure you have to pull the transmission.
The clutch was brand new and it was doing it day 1. The car had ~24k miles on it. I've never missed a shift with it so I don't think that would have caused it.

not to be off topic, but what wheels are on your white mustang in your avatar, they look sick.
Rovos Durban 20x8.5 front and 20x10 rear.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Also a little off topic...how come you went with the Aluminum flywheel instead of lightened steel?

Sponsored

OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Also a little off topic...how come you went with the Aluminum flywheel instead of lightened steel?
Because I lied and I have the lightened steel one lol. Whoops...updating the original post now.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Definitely not fully disengaged clutch. When there is slight load on the tranmission, the shifter becomes hard to move. Maybe the disc is a bit out of spec that it's touching a little.
I guess just give it time to break in?

OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Definitely not fully disengaged clutch. When there is slight load on the tranmission, the shifter becomes hard to move. Maybe the disc is a bit out of spec that it's touching a little.
I guess just give it time to break in?
It's been on for over 1000 miles now with lots of stop and go traffic. Wouldn't it be broken in by now?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's been on for over 1000 miles now with lots of stop and go traffic. Wouldn't it be broken in by now?
Maybe the pressure plate is too much for the stock hydraulics?

OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You mean because I used a (new) stock throwout bearing?
No like the springs are too strong for the hydraulics to pull the clutch all the way?

OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
No like the springs are too strong for the hydraulics to pull the clutch all the way?
I don't know enough about the clutch system to answer that, but I do know that Mcleod said they've never seen the issue I'm having.

I tested something. Today it locked me in 1st as I was parking again. I shut the car off, which obviously stops everything from rotating. That allowed the shifter to go into neutral like butter. Sounds like a clutch issue for sure.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I don't know enough about the clutch system to answer that, but I do know that Mcleod said they've never seen the issue I'm having.

I tested something. Today it locked me in 1st as I was parking again. I shut the car off, which obviously stops everything from rotating. That allowed the shifter to go into neutral like butter. Sounds like a clutch issue for sure.
Definitely clutch issue.
Something is not right.

OP
OP
3beeps

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Definitely clutch issue.
Something is not right.
Seems that way. Probably going to switch to the Mantic clutch and send this Mcleod out to be looked over.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
This is clutch related for sure. As mentioned, when there is slight load on the trans, the shifter will have resistance if the clutch is not fully disengaging. Could be mechanical, or something as simple as air in the hydraulics?
Sponsored