Sponsored

shelby_r's...R: GR227

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 67 GT350, 68 GT350 Con, 65 R Restomod
Hello fellow 6Gers!

Soooooo, here's my story and I'm sticking to it!

The R that I especially ordered through a local dealership (Friendly Ford out of Roselle, IL) was built April 5th and, after a very short stint in the mod shop, was delivered to the dealership on April 14th...by the way, I feel terrible for all those whose cars have been built, only to sit at Flat Rock. :(

Unfortunately, (and in the spirit of being transparent), my former company had a Reduction in Force (RIF), and my position (along with between 250-500 other positions in my company) were eliminated. The good news: I was given a great severance package. The bad news: I was notified April 5th...the day my R was produced. :(

I was blessed to still move forward with purchasing the car upon delivery; however, my wife and I were debating whether or not to sell the car, given my employment status. So, I didn't post anything for fear I would have to sell the car. The car I ordered is Deep Impact Blue, Black OTT Stripes, and with the Electronics Package. I got to spec it out just the way I wanted, and I now struggled with what to do.

Fast forward to this weekend...after much discussion with my wife, we decided to pull the R out of storage, unwrap the car (as it was still fully wrapped and undriven), and go for the gold! :ford:

...yes, my wife is that awesome! :love:

So, rain or shine, I was going to get my R on the road this past Saturday, and that's EXACTLY what I did! I got it out of storage, unwrapped it, and took it directly to my very first car show (as a participant, that is :D).

It rained almost ALL day Saturday! It was crazy - almost torrential down pours, but I was done waiting...it was time to act. I drove it in "weather" mode; which was INCREDIBLY good, especially given the lack of tread on the Sport Cup 2 Tires! I didn't hydroplane or lose control at all. And, of course, I had the exhaust in "Sport" mode the whole time. :p

In short, I hit 2 car shows this weekend and took home my first 2 trophies - what a blast! I met some great car guys, and I now have the "Car Show" bug. :thumbsup:

BTW - the car is amazing! I had a 2016 Shadow Black Track Pack for a number of months and sold it before (and to get) the R. I can tell you first hand that there IS a difference between the Track Pack and the R. I had almost 1,200 miles on the Track Pack when I sold it and I just put 200 miles on the R this weekend, so I feel I can judge the differences pretty well...for myself. And, yes - my transport blocks were removed from all 4 shocks. Thanks Friendly Ford!

The R has so much more...as [MENTION=15817]DrumReaper[/MENTION] put it...soul. There is a much more solid feel to the R versus the non-R. The R rides tighter, but not stiffer. The R seems more connected to the road both in turns and in a straight line. It's as if you can't seem to break it lose...it truly handles like it's on rails. The Track Pack is a great car - don't get me wrong. And, the R just takes that outstanding performance to a whole newlevel.

The radio...everyone else is right - not good. But, as others have said, I could care less! The car has so much going on, I fell like having a solid radio would either be stimulation overload, or an unwanted distraction. The exhaust note on the R is THAT good. I probably burned 1/2 a tank of gas just gunning the engine (within break-in specs ;)) while coasting or at a stop light.

The brakes still take me by surprise. Not that they grab unnecessarily, they just grab that well.

The steering is so strong and tight - both in normal and sport mode. You just can't help but be impressed.

The Recaros...ohhhhhhh the Recaros! I'm not a small guy - 6' 1" and a "husky" 215 :D. And, the seats fit me perfect! I feel completely solid in the seats...this rear end isn't going anywhere.

All the body/paint are great; although, I ALREADY, have a few small paint chips on the front end. :doh:. I had debated about doing a clear bra, but now I'll pass. Let the chips (literally) fall where they may! :headbang:

In the end, I couldn't be more blessed! I'm so grateful to have this car and to actually be using it. And, I know that God has something great in store for me work wise. In fact, God willing, I should have an offer from a great company this week. Fingers folded! :amen:

Thanks to all and have a great week! :ford:

P.S. The first pic is when I picked up the car, the second is from the Car Show today, and the third is of my spoils.

P.P.S. My wife almost had me committed last night, as I was running around creating the sign you see in the attached pic last night. Thank God for FedEx Office 24 Hours!
IMG_1564.jpg
IMG_1839.jpg
IMG_1843.jpg
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Given that you've talked to literally most of the Ford dealers out there and given so many MSRP leads out there (including my first), I can only say that you are the real deal. Congrats! Thanks and I hope the R treats you as well as you've treated us!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Very cool story. Glad you got your R and to keep it. I'm still waiting for mine and I plan to keep my track pack and track it while keeping the Miles off the R.

Again, congrats!

ShadowBlackR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R - GR222
Glad to see you're keeping her. :cheers:

SoCalTim

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Sold : 15 GT
I'm sure everything will fall into place on the job hunt.

Absolutely stunning R ... Enjoy her in good health! :)

Sponsored

JRoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, MKIV, RR
Congrats on getting the R and that your able to enjoy it given the circumstances!! I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason whether we ever realize it or not. You have to trust the higher powers and still maintain focus on the positives,such as your R :)

Cheers to many great miles in your R as well as additional trophies. :first:

Sponsored

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
Thanks for sharing. Great story and gorgeous ride. Congrats :cheers:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
The car looks great and am glad you are enjoying it. Thanks for the comparison between the track and R. Did you take it to 8k yet? Which exhaust sound do you prefer; track or R?

SgtMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 DIB Track Pack, 03 Whipple Cobra (sold)
Awesome, I have the non R track package version of that car color wise. Love it!

Goofball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 R
Just cracked a beer and read this. All I can say is thank you. Or should I thank your wife instead haha lol!? Good stuff man. Makes me feel good. Work will take care of itself in due time and when the time is right. Keep it tight and keep it right brother!

OP
OP
shelby_r

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 67 GT350, 68 GT350 Con, 65 R Restomod
The car looks great and am glad you are enjoying it. Thanks for the comparison between the track and R. Did you take it to 8k yet? Which exhaust sound do you prefer; track or R?
You bet :thumbsup:

I haven't taken it all the way, yet. To be honest, I have to lookup the recomended time for break in. I've been keeping it under 5K for now...mostly ;)

I definitely like the R sound better. Without the resonators, the exhaust just hits you right in the chest. However, the Track Pack still sounds awesome. :ford:
Sponsored

Reactions: TDC