Sponsored

Shelby top two slots in qualifying @ Motorsport park

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I blame both of them. Vance was wide and Maxwell turned in and tapped the brakes right in front of him.
Sponsored

coupe3w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Mustang FB, 2021 Mach 1, HP, Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
I think Vance was looking in his side mirror and saw the Camaro coming up on his left. Vance than moved over for the Camaro not expecting Maxwell to be coming up so quickly on his right. The rest is history.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I think Vance was looking in his side mirror and saw the Camaro coming up on his left. Vance than moved over for the Camaro not expecting Maxwell to be coming up so quickly on his right. The rest is history.
If you watch the race broadcast, they show footage of the Camaro behind Vance's Boss 302R just as they all go into the turn, just before the collision between the two Fords. It isn't until Aschenbach, in the Camaro, sees what's going to happen does he go to the inside.

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
Plus, when they're racing for position, Vance isn't going to just move over in the middle of a turn to let the Camaro by. :crazy:

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
After seeing the race (thanks for posting the stream), I agree with what you're saying. There was some additional footage shown in the race stream that showed Maxwell, Vance and Aschenbach going into the apex of that turn: Aschenbach is fine. Vance does look to be missing the apex and running wide. Maxwell turns in a tad early for the scenario, but is going about the line correctly. It seems Vance just ran wider than Maxwell was expecting and Maxwell wasn't watching him in his mirrors as closely as he probably should've been. Also, Vance is said to be a newer driver and, if you watch him before the accident, he does take a lot of the corners wider and different than others. It's both their faults in my eyes.
I was even thinking that he was blocking Maxwell for about half a lap or so just prior to the incident. He clearly knew the Shelby was faster, but was acting like the leader of the race instead of someone that was running lap times that were quite a bit slower up to that point in the race. The only reason Maxwell was behind him was because of time in the pits.
Sponsored