Sponsored

Shelby GT500 CFTP - COTA track day 1 of 2! (video)

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
Ride along on this amazing high-horsepower/big-brakes experience! As a newbie to Circuit Of The Americas and Edge Addicts, I start the weekend in the intermediate group with an instructor buddy riding shotgun. After learning the track I was cleared to run solo. Top speeds were 158 back straight/141 front straight in my completely stock 760hp 2020 Shelby GT500 Carbon Fiber Track Pack. Youā€™ll see lots of passing, including some reluctant Porsches! I run with GT350s, Vettes including a C8, Porsches (lots), Viper, McLaren, GTR and a host of other kick-ass cars! In short order, I became the fastest in my group! This video combines multiple cameras including a GoPro 360 and is presented in 4K! I hope you enjoy!

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
Glad you finally made it to COTA! Great track isnā€™t it?
I didnā€™t sign up for that event as the garages werenā€™t available, and it looks like they parked you outside the track somewhere (never seen that beforeā€¦.). I see a lot of new temp grandstands for the F-1 event.
Hope to see you there for the Dec event. Should be a good pre-holiday time.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Very cool video. Your buddy is how how all instructors should be!

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
Glad you finally made it to COTA! Great track isnā€™t it?
I didnā€™t sign up for that event as the garages werenā€™t available, and it looks like they parked you outside the track somewhere (never seen that beforeā€¦.). I see a lot of new temp grandstands for the F-1 event.
Hope to see you there for the Dec event. Should be a good pre-holiday time.
AMAZING track! Yes, we were parked on the other side in the big parking lot due to F1 prep. It still worked well. I will definitely be back, but itā€™s doubtful I can make the December dateā€¦ itā€™s my craziest month at work and Iā€™ll be working around a family ski trip as well.
Very cool video. Your buddy is how how all instructors should be!
Thanksā€¦ appreciate it! I was in the advanced solo group for day two, with a lot of chaos! I havenā€™t started working on that video yet, but should be fun!

My instructor friend (Jerry) is a great guy, despite being a Corvette owner.:crackup: We have fun Mustang vs. Vette banter! He lined his ZO6 up behind me for a couple sessions on day 2 to get exterior footage. Problem was I had a couple Porsche track cars in my sites. Letā€™s just say Jerry didnā€™t get any footage.:wink:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Ok, now thatsā€™s funny. The comment, ā€œ think youā€™re the only fourteen year old in hereā€ lmao

AMAZING track! Yes, we were parked on the other side in the big parking lot due to F1 prep. It still worked well. I will definitely be back, but itā€™s doubtful I can make the December dateā€¦ itā€™s my craziest month at work and Iā€™ll be working around a family ski trip as well.

Thanksā€¦ appreciate it! I was in the advanced solo group for day two, with a lot of chaos! I havenā€™t started working on that video yet, but should be fun!

My instructor friend (Jerry) is a great guy, despite being a Corvette owner.:crackup: We have fun Mustang vs. Vette banter! He lined his ZO6 up behind me for a couple sessions on day 2 to get exterior footage. Problem was I had a couple Porsche track cars in my sites. Letā€™s just say Jerry didnā€™t get any footage.:wink:

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The garages work great as you just pull out right onto the pit lane to grid. Out of the sun, wind and rain. Each has a restroom as well, and the suites above are air conditioned! Kind of decadent. The full F1 experience!

The Advanced groups sometimes have issues with cars running slicks. Can get dive bombed at the end of the straights and it gets dangerous. I almost got t-boned by a Camaro at the end of the back straight more than once.
Karen keeps wanting me to move to the Advanced group but I told her not until she prohibits slicks in one of those groups.
Anyway, glad youā€™re made it to COTA and hope it didnā€™t spoil you too much!

Last edited:

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to ask: Were you able to get two sessions on one tank of gas?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I havenā€™t done an Edge Addicts event yet. Do they address the situationā€˜s you described with other drivers? Any complaints with safety?

The garages work great as you just pull out right onto the pit lane to grid. Out of the sun, wind and rain. Each has a restroom as well. Kind of decadent. The full F1 experience!

The Advanced groups sometimes have issues with cars running slicks. Can get dive bombed at the end of the straights and it gets dangerous. I almost got t-boned by a Camaro at the end of the back straight more than once.
Karen keeps wanting me to move to the Advanced group but I told her not until she prohibits slicks in one of those groups.
Anyway, glad youā€™re made it to COTA and hope it didnā€™t spoil you too much!

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I havenā€™t done an Edge Addicts event yet. Do they address the situationā€˜s you described with other drivers? Any complaints with safety?
Generally speaking, very safe events. All very nice people. Sometimes, folks running slicks outside of the trackrats groups get a bit over exuberant. The organizing group doesn't seem to want to address that aspect and I bring it up when I see slicks in an intermediate group. There is no reason to allow that.
But COTA is a very expensive place and they donā€™t want to lose any customers.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to ask: Were you able to get two sessions on one tank of gas?
I absolutely drained a tank on each of the 20-25 minute sessions, but I was mashing the gas pedal every opportunity I could. This was taken coming off the track on one of my sessionsā€¦ I filled the tank every time.
D260AF26-3F35-40E2-8703-A38E20DCFBB4.jpeg

There was a lot of chaos in the advanced group, but I seriously dug it! I had no issues with anyone other than some Porsche drivers that simply refused to give the point (to pass). I had a C8 come in hot and overshoot to the inside of a turn on me, but I stayed wide and gave him room. It all worked and was an absolute BLAST!

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I absolutely drained a tank on each of the 20-25 minute sessions, but I was mashing the gas pedal every opportunity I could. This was taken coming off the track on one of my sessionsā€¦ I filled the tank every time.
D260AF26-3F35-40E2-8703-A38E20DCFBB4.jpeg
I have tried to run a few second sessions before filling up, but by the 3rd or 4th lap, all the lights and warnings are flashing and I didnā€™t want to be that guy who ran out on track! Glad to see Iā€™m not the only person with a lead foot.
The advanced sessions can be fun if everyone plays nice. But there is always one GT3 that thinks heā€™s the fastest thing on track.šŸ¤¬
On the other hand, those McLaren's make me feel badā€¦. šŸ˜¢

IceAge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
GG
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500, 2022 GT500, 2020 GT Mustang, Raptor,
Wow awesome driving and the GT500 just stands so tall which is truly impressive and hell of a statement to the product. Glad to see your videos on the ā€œtrackā€ and truly great video and cant wait to see Day 2. Thank you for sharingšŸ˜Ž

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Wow awesome driving and the GT500 just stands so tall which is truly impressive and hell of a statement to the product. Glad to see your videos on the ā€œtrackā€ and truly great video and cant wait to see Day 2. Thank you for sharingšŸ˜Ž
Thank you sir! šŸ»

Day 2 will be delayed a bitā€¦ I have to work on another video first. I had an epic day yesterday at LMRā€™s Mustang/Lightning Cruise-In. I took my 93, 00R and CFTP there. It was the most 00Rs I had ever seen at once! (4.5) We went out on the road course together for some cool-ass laps. It was quite the sight!

B531120A-38E2-4351-BCF5-0B196F55F793.jpeg

34CB005C-6469-4082-A82A-468CC2F6C2B6.jpeg

3E05CF8F-8083-42EC-A5F9-1C0305199FDA.jpeg

CF9BB62B-6A7A-4E1E-80B9-F018E4CB4D51.jpeg

3142ED7C-1A73-4FC1-AA05-8854AEC085F3.jpeg