Sponsored

Shelby GT500 Cam cover upgrade - a burning hell

Pucklord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT California Special
Howdy y'all ..

A while back I broke one of the ignitions coils bolts (Its good idea to change them bolts if you're change spark plugs more often) anyway, since there was no option to fix the broken screw I decided to replace the cam cover and I heard 'bout the GT500 cam cover which stated that it will offer a protection from exhaust manifold heat, good for heat dissipation, and on the plus side it has all bolts unlike the factory so no more leaks.

I have started with the passenger side since it was the side that has the broken bolt and I did not change the driver side yet since I accidentally cut the camshaft bank 1 wire pigtail. so I did not want to start on the other side until I replace the pigtail. FYI for anybody who's planning to take out the passenger side cam cover for any reason, please note that there's a dang pigtail hiding under a clip at the very back of the cam cover its unseen since it's below and has a weird looking clip I will attach a photo for a reference. There is no way I could've seen that wire at all. Now that I have replaced and fixed the pigtail, I have notice that the side that has the GT500 cam cover is a literally a burning hell! I know the amount of heat theses engines makes but, with this cam cover it is insane! there is no way in hell I can keep my finger for even few seconds. I have compared the heat coming from the driver side the factory cam cover, and its totally the opposite yes there is heat, but not like the GT500 at all not even close. My only concern is the wires surrounding the cam cover , the battery, pcm and etc wouldn't be effected with this extreme heat?

Sorry for the long thread for a simple question, but I wanted to share my experience as well

1.jpg

Passenger side is the GT500 cam cover - Driver side Factory cam cover.

2.jpg

This dang ol clip give me such a hard time
Sponsored

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
.....the GT500 cam cover which stated that it will offer a protection from exhaust manifold heat, good for heat dissipation......

Now that I have replaced and fixed the pigtail, I have notice that the side that has the GT500 cam cover is a literally a burning hill! I know the amount of heat theses engines makes but, with this cam cover it is insane! there is no way in hill I can keep my finger for even few seconds. I have compared the heat coming from the driver side the factory cam cover, and its totally the opposite yes there is heat, but not like the GT500 at all not even close.
Soooo...the product results are the opposite of what you expected? Who told you that the GT500 covers would "offer a protection from exhaust manifold heat, good for heat dissipation"?

My only concern is the wires surrounding the cam cover , the battery, pcm and etc wouldn't be effected with this extreme heat?
Of course those items will be effected by the increased heat.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
If I might ask, whatā€™s a burning hill?

Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Howdy y'all ..

A while back I broke one of the ignitions coils bolts (Its good idea to change them bolts if you're change spark plugs more often) anyway, since there was no option to fix the broken screw I decided to replace the cam cover and I heard 'bout the GT500 cam cover which stated that it will offer a protection from exhaust manifold heat, good for heat dissipation, and on the plus side it has all bolts unlike the factory so no more leaks.

I have started with the passenger side since it was the side that has the broken bolt and I did not change the driver side yet since I accidentally cut the camshaft bank 1 wire pigtail. so I did not want to start on the other side until I replace the pigtail. FYI for anybody who's planning to take out the passenger side cam cover for any reason, please note that there's a dang pigtail hiding under a clip at the very back of the cam cover its unseen since it's below and has a weird looking clip I will attach a photo for a reference. There is no way I could've seen that wire at all. Now that I have replaced and fixed the pigtail, I have notice that the side that has the GT500 cam cover is a literally a burning hell! I know the amount of heat theses engines makes but, with this cam cover it is insane! there is no way in hell I can keep my finger for even few seconds. I have compared the heat coming from the driver side the factory cam cover, and its totally the opposite yes there is heat, but not like the GT500 at all not even close. My only concern is the wires surrounding the cam cover , the battery, pcm and etc wouldn't be effected with this extreme heat?

Sorry for the long thread for a simple question, but I wanted to share my experience as well

1.jpg

Passenger side is the GT500 cam cover - Driver side Factory cam cover.

2.jpg

This dang ol clip give me such a hard time
Naturally, metal is going to hold onto the heat more than the plastic. The plastic works more like an insulator, whereas the metal works more like a heat sync. I assume by "Burning hill" You meant "Burning Hell"?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I put these on a couple weeks ago and drove all over the place yesterday. Once I got home and popped the hood to let the engine cool before the cover went back on, I did notice it was warmer than usual, but my IAT and CHTs have been relatively consistent with the stock composite valve covers. I did notice that the engine seemed to cool down a little more quickly, but that could have been placebo.

Regardless of their heat dissipation qualities, just having a cam cover that isn't going to leak oil from the #8 plug well seal makes me happy.

JR

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Wonder if the GT500 cam cover heat could damage paint on custom painted coil covers?

I understand the factory "plastic" cam covers are held on with fewer bolts but am not clear if the holes are there to add the extra bolts. If that's the case, I may just add bolts rather than swap out the cam covers when given an excuse.

sox3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350 Performance Blue
Wonder if the GT500 cam cover heat could damage paint on custom painted coil covers?

I understand the factory "plastic" cam covers are held on with fewer bolts but am not clear if the holes are there to add the extra bolts. If that's the case, I may just add bolts rather than swap out the cam covers when given an excuse.
I replaced mine with painted covers.
#1 well so far I have not seen any issues with the painted cam and coil covers. Going to do a longer run this weekend. Time will tell.

#2 You can drill out the plastic covers and add the extra bolts. The heads are already threaded for them. Would most likely need to remove them to do it properly.

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

Yes, they are extra locations for add more bolts
I say location instead of holes because you need to drill them out to become holes and add bolts
That is the ford fix for leaking valve covers

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack

I doubt it'll be enough to cause issues with paint unless someone used paint that wasn't high temp engine paint with an adhesion promoter. I don't have any data to back this up, but I can't imagine the cam covers are THAT much hotter than the composite ones. Maybe someone with an IR thermometer can run these up to temp and see what the cam cover registers at.

The factory cam covers were revised for 2017 (I believe) with additional holes for the extra bos. The 2015 and 2016 did not have all the bolt holes drilled, though the heads are threaded for them. Probably because a bean counter at Ford figured out that it would save 12 cents per car. There was a TSB for this issue that was done on my car, but I had continual issues with the driver's cam cover leaking, and the dealer never fully fixed the issue. It seems that the stock cam covers have a windage tray that extends to the rear plug well, and under hard acceleration, oil is forced to the rear of the head, escaping through the plug well seal.

The GT500 cam covers have a revised windage tray that allows oil to drain normally into the top of the head, so this accomplishes more than just looks and the correct number of bolts.

JR

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I doubt it'll be enough to cause issues with paint unless someone used paint that wasn't high temp engine paint with an adhesion promoter. I don't have any data to back this up, but I can't imagine the cam covers are THAT much hotter than the composite ones. Maybe someone with an IR thermometer can run these up to temp and see what the cam cover registers at.

The factory cam covers were revised for 2017 (I believe) with additional holes for the extra bos. The 2015 and 2016 did not have all the bolt holes drilled, though the heads are threaded for them. Probably because a bean counter at Ford figured out that it would save 12 cents per car. There was a TSB for this issue that was done on my car, but I had continual issues with the driver's cam cover leaking, and the dealer never fully fixed the issue. It seems that the stock cam covers have a windage tray that extends to the rear plug well, and under hard acceleration, oil is forced to the rear of the head, escaping through the plug well seal.

The GT500 cam covers have a revised windage tray that allows oil to drain normally into the top of the head, so this accomplishes more than just looks and the correct number of bolts.

JR
Thanks,

I don't have leaks on my '16 so if the TSB is only done for existing leaks will have to see how much discretion my writer has and if the TSB is paid for by EPS since at 40k miles but 7+years.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Yes, they are extra locations for add more bolts
I say location instead of holes because you need to drill them out to become holes and add bolts
That is the ford fix for leaking valve covers
Thanks.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP