Sponsored

Shelby GT500 - Build & Price

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
replay to PP0001

Man, you are all over the place from stating how poorly Ford marketing policy is to now stating that the GT500 is really not a Shelby because they are produced on a mass production line.
Answer
Never said Ford marketing policy was bad. I stated I like GM's better. Its just this time Ford's policy worked against me with things I had no control over. The cars I bought I liked it did not matter to me if it said Shelby are not. If they would have been called Cobra's like the 2003 I had, I would have bought them and enjoyed them all the same. The Shelby name was a plus don't get me wrong with all the history behind it. Its always a dream to own a Shelby especially for a Mustang fan.

With that being the case are you telling of us that the 1968 to 1970 GT350's and GT500's are not real Shelby vehicles either?
Answer

They where made on a totally different Line then the regular Mustangs in Ionia, Michigan the building was owned by Shelby not Ford. Also Shelby was calling the shots, so yes they are real Shelby's. The 2007 to 2014 to me where just Shelby's in name with some input from Shelby he gave Ford his blessing to make them. Without his blessing the GT500 would have been a Cobra. Ford does not own the Shelby name.

Over those years of buying the first new generation GT500's did you not build up any sort of working relationship with a particular Ford dealership which could be leveraged with respect to purchasing a new 2020 GT500?
Answer
Yes I did have a working relationship, but when the one's your working with move on and dealer has a GM change and Owner that all goes out door and your back to square one. I still have a good relation with the Old GM he is now running a Dodge store and he offered me a hell of deal on a Red Eye or Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio just did not take him up on that since I really wanted a new Mustang. That Alfa was really temping its a hell of a car got drive it over the weekend. That Alfa is one hell of a car it will put a smile on your face.

Did you not know like the rest of us when the launch of the new GT500 was to take place and if so maybe you should have started inquiring about one of these new cars very early on in order to have a chance to secure an allocation?
Answer
Yes I did things change stuff falls through the cracks and that's that.

It amazes me that for someone that has owned all MY's of the first generation GT500's that they do not know what it takes in order to secure a 2020 GT500!
Answer
So be amazed, lucks not always in the cards people move on things change such is the luck of life.

I'm not going talk about it on here no more you all have a good time enjoying your cars. I may just get one next year if I can't find one this late in the game. If any of you having any info where i can get one that would be a
nice just PM me.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Just to be clear from 1968 and on all Shelby Mustangs would be overseen by a new Shelby American company which was now based in Livonia, Michigan and not LAX and that the actual final assembly for the 1968 to 1970 Shelby GT350's and GT500's would be subcontracted by Ford and not by Shelby American to A.O. Smith in Ionia, Michigan with that building certainly not owned by Carroll Shelby but I believe was owned by Smith Plastics in Ionia.

If you were around back in the day like I was Carroll Shelby and the new President of Ford at the time namely Bunkie Knudsen did not get along well at all and it was very clear that Bunkie did not like Mr. Shelby therefore Carroll lost out to the President of Ford with respect to retaining control of 1968 Shelby Mustang production at the assembly plant in Ionia, Michigan.

Shortly after Bunkie made his decision whereby Ford took over complete control of Shelby Mustang production in 1968 and on Ford also launched the Boss 302 and Boss 429 programs in order to compete directly with the 1968 to 1970 Shelby's which just showed how much bad blood there was between Bunkie and Carroll.

Of course we all know how legendary the Boss 302's, Boss 429's and Boss 351's were back then and still are to this day.

All 1968 Shelby's were built at Ford's Metuchen, New Jersey plant as incomplete units and then shipped via rail to A. O. Smith in Michigan for final assembly.

If I come across an opportunity for an allocation for a 2020 GT500 I will PM you but the chances that it will be a CFTP optioned car will probably be slim.

Good luck with adding another GT500 to your current stable of Pony's!

:)

Last edited: