Sponsored

Shelby GT350 vs BMW M4

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
So... if you buy a M4, over a 435i you do so because of the track capableness.

How do you see Munich in this case, stacking up against Detroit..?
Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Seeing as the GTPP is hot on the M4's heels given the few track times we've seen so far, it's safe to assume that the GT350 will have a clear advantage when it comes to performance.

I don't think there will be a huge overlap in cross-shopping save for the enthusiast crowd though. A lot of people choose the M4 for its unrivaled combination of performance and luxury. I don't think it'll hold a candle to the GT350 in areas where driving's concerned, but I think the GT350 will have the same issue in areas of comfort and luxury amenities.

OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Seeing as the GTPP is hot on the M4's heels given the few track times we've seen so far, it's safe to assume that the GT350 will have a clear advantage when it comes to performance.

I don't think there will be a huge overlap in cross-shopping save for the enthusiast crowd though. A lot of people choose the M4 for its unrivaled combination of performance and luxury. I don't think it'll hold a candle to the GT350 in areas where driving's concerned, but I think the GT350 will have the same issue in areas of comfort and luxury amenities.
Well, that is the crowd I am specifically speaking about. M4/911 owners.

There will be variations of the GT350 I am sure. But the base Cobra is the one I am talking about. The Cobra R will probably eat tarmac.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
There is no Cobra, it's just GT350.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Streets of Willow Lap time from motortrend for the M4 was 1:23.73 s550 gtpp did it in 1:24.32, so it is safe to assume the gt350 will eat the m4 on the track. Cheers.

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The issue with the M4 is absolutely no traction from all the torque that thing produces. The 275 tires out there are so over matched to the output of that car.

I have to say I drove a new M4 and it left me kind of cold..yes the power is insane, that midrange torque is unbelievable. However, I felt my E92 M3 is more raw and visceral..yes its not as fast but at this point I don't care...for me the decision is a no brainer...GT350!!

Dave

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '19 XC90, '13 335i

That's not why you buy a M4 over a 435i. A vast majority of M4s won't see the track. You buy the M4 because it's just a better car.

I'm in the market for a M4... or possibly a GT350. I think the GT350 will be the better performance car by far, but the M4 will probably be the better daily driver. So ultimately it will come down to which is more important.

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

That is why I'm seriously considering one. I was never a BMW fan, but after we bought my wife's 335i I have warmed up to them. I'd like to try the luxury performance car experience.

But, I am a Mustang fanboy, so I always have to cross shop with the Mustang. :ford:

OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
That's not why you buy a M4 over a 435i. A vast majority of M4s won't see the track. You buy the M4 because it's just a better car.

I'm in the market for a M4... or possibly a GT350. I think the GT350 will be the better performance car by far, but the M4 will probably be the better daily driver. So ultimately it will come down to which is more important.

We all know the M4 is a better car, over the 435i... I define "better" as more capable and track'able...

The M4's performance is geared for...??

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We all know the M4 is a better car, over the 435i... I define "better" as more capable and track'able...

The M4's performance is geared for...??
To me it is better because it is more capable and trackable, but it also offers a more upscale interior (if you option it that way), better looks, and a bit of provenance that the run of the mill 3/4 series don't deliver.

Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The irony is that the BMW is now the car that is better in the straights, while the Mustang is the car that is better in the corners.

I loved the E9X M3's, I do not love the new M4/M3. Everything I've read has said that the engine and powertrain are very good (IMO the turbo engine sucks the joy out of the car, but that's just me), but that the chassis can't handle the torque. Maybe it's just the tires, or maybe the car has been biased too far towards the street side of the equation.

The GT350 on the other hand is exactly what I want. It has plenty of luxury and tech for my needs, an engine that is something BMW used to build (and probably wishes they still could, but can no longer due to carbon emission concerns), and brashness and a bit of silliness that makes the car fun.

In the last generation of product, I would probably have chosen the M3 over the Boss 302 due to the better overall manners of the M3 (still prefer the Boss motor over the M3 V8). This generation goes to the GT350 by far. I'm not even considering the M3. It's a great car, no doubt, just not what I am looking for.

-T

OP
OP
w3rkn

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
To me it is better because it is more capable and trackable, but it also offers a more upscale interior (if you option it that way), better looks, and a bit of provenance that the run of the mill 3/4 series don't deliver.
OK^ :frusty:

How do you think that stacks up against Detroit..?

You can clearly see the upscale'ness of the GT350 in materials over the GT, just as you would a M4, over a 435i. (That is a given)

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK^ :frusty:

How do you think that stacks up against Detroit..?

You can clearly see the upscale'ness of the GT350 in materials over the GT, just as you would a M4, over a 435i. (That is a given)
Not really sure what you are getting so riled up about? Could you expand on your frustration? I clearly answered the M4 vs. GT350 question in my first post... and now we are here?

m4a1mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The irony is that the BMW is now the car that is better in the straights, while the Mustang is the car that is better in the corners.

I loved the E9X M3's, I do not love the new M4/M3. Everything I've read has said that the engine and powertrain are very good (IMO the turbo engine sucks the joy out of the car, but that's just me), but that the chassis can't handle the torque. Maybe it's just the tires, or maybe the car has been biased too far towards the street side of the equation.

The GT350 on the other hand is exactly what I want. It has plenty of luxury and tech for my needs, an engine that is something BMW used to build (and probably wishes they still could, but can no longer due to carbon emission concerns), and brashness and a bit of silliness that makes the car fun.

In the last generation of product, I would probably have chosen the M3 over the Boss 302 due to the better overall manners of the M3 (still prefer the Boss motor over the M3 V8). This generation goes to the GT350 by far. I'm not even considering the M3. It's a great car, no doubt, just not what I am looking for.

-T
I think you're largely spot on. A lot of the bad press the F8x is getting may or may not be blown out of proportion. I think it depends on what you're looking for in a car. Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson love it, for example. And I'm sure there are plenty of happy owners out there.

The M4 is at the top of my list now but I am playing the waiting game. The GT350 could punch the ticket for me if Ford prices it well.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I think you're largely spot on. A lot of the bad press the F8x is getting may or may not be blown out of proportion. I think it depends on what you're looking for in a car. Chris Harris and Jeremy Clarkson love it, for example. And I'm sure there are plenty of happy owners out there.

The M4 is at the top of my list now but I am playing the waiting game. The GT350 could punch the ticket for me if Ford prices it well.
Yeah, I haven't been following the F8X much, so it may be that my impression is biased by my own disappointment with the turbos and the exhaust note.

However, it is true that my impression of reviews of the E9X was extremely favorable, while my impression of reviews of the F8X are not. So I do think that in some ways the new M3/M4 are a step backwards (or may more like a step sideways). For many, the TT engine will be a better match due to the torque and drivability improvement. I will miss the sound and responsiveness of the V8.

-T
Sponsored