Shelby GT350 Subwoofer Upgrade

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
People doing these kind of upgrades should be better off with a Civic.... But I think I am in the wrong demographic here.
Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
People doing these kind of upgrades should be better off with a Civic.... But I think I am in the wrong demographic here.
Don’t stereotype people..you don’t know. I take pelasure in cruising in the Shelby and listening to the exhaust as well as listening to fine music with quality components.. Don’t plan on racing this particular car, been there done that with far lighter corvette Z06s...the Shelby is a pig in comparison...but is a great car and absolutely a blast to drive, and the wife loves cruising, be we both love music too. I know what you mean about the civic crowd though, there is a lot of way over the top stereo installs that make you cringe. I opted for quality sound, lots of damping, and yeah, a few little touches that some would question in a Shelby, but that’s my own dilemma and for no one else to stress, fret, or have a heart attack about, haha.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t stereotype people..you don’t know. I take pelasure in cruising in the Shelby and listening to the exhaust as well as listening to fine music with quality components.. Don’t plan on racing this particular car, been there done that with far lighter corvette Z06s...the Shelby is a pig in comparison...but is a great car and absolutely a blast to drive, and the wife loves cruising, be we both love music too. I know what you mean about the civic crowd though, there is a lot of way over the top stereo installs that make you cringe. I opted for quality sound, lots of damping, and yeah, a few little touches that some would question in a Shelby, but that’s my own dilemma and for no one else to stress, fret, or have a heart attack about, haha.
I also upgraded mine, and even provided speaker mounting instructions... All you need for a semi-decent sound without ripping off the factory unit is 4 2-way speakers and maybe, if you want more bass, a small inline amp to drive the rear speakers on the shelf. When upgraded, they can pump some good bass without being over the top.
And you don't add tons of weight to the car either...
All up you will be under 200 bucks, if you can DYI.

Cheers

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
I also upgraded mine, and even provided speaker mounting instructions... All you need for a semi-decent sound without ripping off the factory unit is 4 2-way speakers and maybe, if you want more bass, a small inline amp to drive the rear speakers on the shelf. When upgraded, they can pump some good bass without being over the top.

Cheers
I would love to have gone DIY like way back when working on my 67 fastback or 87 Irocz, before I got accumulative injuries from the Army. I can no longer bend over to reach into tight places, nor raise my arms high...sucks to change oil even. The way you executed the upgrade is the approach I originally wanted, but the wife said if we are spending money to increase sound quality, “can we make it sound way better” like the home stereo...take into account she is spoiled by top of the line reference quality stereo playback by the series of speakers used in Abbey road studios, and other high end audio equipment, like a German hand made turntable, power regeneration, McIntosh tube amps, you get the picture. So we ended up with this. She is happy,and so am I. If you are going to Ford Nats or Mustang week, we will be there you can take a listen.

200 bucks....man, I think one tweeter costs almost 300...I am sweating

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon

Cheers
I'm looking for the "half way upgrade" for the stock 9 speaker system. Do you have a recommendation on the 2 ways and the inline amp?

I'd love to have a reference quality system, but I am usually too lazy to have high-resolution audio files with me--so I either stream from Spotify or listen to radio/satellite--all of which have clear compression/resolution issues.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking for the "half way upgrade" for the stock 9 speaker system. Do you have a recommendation on the 2 ways and the inline amp?

I'd love to have a reference quality system, but I am usually too lazy to have high-resolution audio files with me--so I either stream from Spotify or listen to radio/satellite--all of which have clear compression/resolution issues.
Took me a while to find the info...

So here are the front speakers:
https://www.infinityspeakers.com/KAPPA+62.11I.html (no longer available on Amazon, look for equivalents, especially impedance/size)

Rear speakers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DSIKGJA/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cable adapters (2 sets for 4 speakers):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016YIFQ7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speaker adapters:
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-825605...1K&dpID=31xuHbJiPqL&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=detail
You can do without these for the front, but you need to drill the front doors if you don't' use them. I used a very small drill bit and drilled, I felt the speaker more secure and less air leaking around it.... it means in theory bass is better. I did use them on the rear, matched perfectly.

For the amp, I just used this to drive rear speakers to give it more bass, as there is no way you can hear much treble due to orientation of glass and position of speakers from there:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kicker...9900?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0

Hope this helps.

64Chevy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
1964 Chevy C10, 1998 BMW M3, 2008 Lotus Exige 240S, 2013 911 C4S, 2015 Wrangler Rubicon
Took me a while to find the info...

So here are the front speakers:
https://www.infinityspeakers.com/KAPPA+62.11I.html (no longer available on Amazon, look for equivalents, especially impedance/size)

Rear speakers:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DSIKGJA/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cable adapters (2 sets for 4 speakers):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016YIFQ7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speaker adapters:
https://www.amazon.com/Metra-825605...1K&dpID=31xuHbJiPqL&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=detail
You can do without these for the front, but you need to drill the front doors if you don't' use them. I used a very small drill bit and drilled, I felt the speaker more secure and less air leaking around it.... it means in theory bass is better. I did use them on the rear, matched perfectly.

For the amp, I just used this to drive rear speakers to give it more bass, as there is no way you can hear much treble due to orientation of glass and position of speakers from there:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Kicker...9900?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c1#viTabs_0

Hope this helps.
That's awesome. Thank you!!!

AveryA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350
Hi guys..I have an 18 gt350 and have a JLaudio stealth box with the JL audio hd 600/4. Do you think its too much power on the car. My check charging system has been coming on and ford can not figure out the issue. I just got a new alternator but it still comes on. Any help is appreciated! While driving a couple weeks ago all the electronics would shut down and the steering would lock up until I got about 4K rpm

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Something wrong with your charging system. I am pushing 850w rms no problem at all.

Did the problem happen after the sub install?

Sponsored

AveryA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Avery
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt350
Something wrong with your charging system. I am pushing 850w rms no problem at all.

Did the problem happen after the sub install?
It started happening maybe 2-3 weeks after

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Disconnect the main positive and negative terminals and drive it around for 2 weeks and see if it happens again. If it does, take it back to the dealer without the system and wiring in the car (they will probably blame it).

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
My solution! JL AUDIO 10TW3D8, in a custom box. Paired with an old school JL AUDIO 500/1 V2, and an Audio Control LC2I.
20190603_123407.jpg
20190603_123401.jpg

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350