Sponsored

Shelby GT350 Mustang Owners File New Class Action Lawsuit Against Ford for Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
So if the GT350 base/track is not inteaded for track then why limp mode?

Especially since normal street driving couldnt possibly induce enough heat to damage the car accordding to some one here.
Every car made has some form of "limp mode" or failure mode effects management programmed into the PCM. The Mustang has had it since 1986.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Every car made has some form of "limp mode" or failure mode effects management programmed into the PCM. The Mustang has had it since 1986.
Thats interesting, because we see mustangs going into "limp mode" as easily as GT350s . I guess thay are just more durable than the GT350s and have higher settings

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Thats interesting, because we see mustangs going into "limp mode" as easily as GT350s . I guess thay are just more durable than the GT350s and have higher settings
That's an interesting point. I think most would agree that the 350 is the most "exotic" Mustang to date. Many previous exotic cars each have their own quirks and limitations. As mostly domestic muscle fans - maybe we're overly-sensitive to the possibility that the 350 might be more delicate than previous Mustangs, in some ways.

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
So if the GT350 base/track is not inteaded for track then why limp mode?

Especially since normal street driving couldnt possibly induce enough heat to damage the car accordding to some one here.
Not only that, apparently now according to some we shouldn't even have expected to drive it spiritedly much less bring it to the track. :doh:

I guess it is just a cool looking grocery getter.

Sponsored

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
Someone way back many threads ago said if the GT350 Base or Tech is not a Track car, and the GT350 is not looked upon as a Drag Car, then what exactly is it? If I had spent all that money on a perceived Track Capable car that will "shut itself down" even on the street, I would be livid. You can talk all you want about tracking a Tech car or Base car, but the facts are, your car might shut itself down or severely limit the power just driving on the highway on a hot day. I do not know what the difference in price would have been for Ford to put the coolers on all of the GT350s, but I think in hindsight, they wish they would not have been so cheap. Bean counters suck!

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Explain this to me.
The track pack option cost $6500.00 for that you get...
A tremec 3160 trans with a pump. Basically the same trans as a tech / base.
A trans cooler.
A diff cooler and pump.
Recaros.
And a track spoiler.

The $7500.00 tech you get..
The same 3160 trans minus the pump.
Voice Sync Nav system.
Heated / cooled seats.
Leather.
Smaller spoiler.

Basically us track owners over paid.
The trans pump doesn't cost $1000.00
The trans cooler doesn't cost $1000.00
The diff cooler doesn't cost $1000.00
The recaros don't cost $1000.00 more than heated / cooled seats.
The track spoiler doesn't cost $1000.00
The radio doesn't cost $1000.00 less than a touch screen sync nav system.

How about I sue ford for over charging me?

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Someone way back many threads ago said if the GT350 Base or Tech is not a Track car, and the GT350 is not looked upon as a Drag Car, then what exactly is it? If I had spent all that money on a perceived Track Capable car that will "shut itself down" even on the street, I would be livid. You can talk all you want about tracking a Tech car or Base car, but the facts are, your car might shut itself down or severely limit the power just driving on the highway on a hot day. I do not know what the difference in price would have been for Ford to put the coolers on all of the GT350s, but I think in hindsight, they wish they would not have been so cheap. Bean counters suck!
You are right and its very telling that they added coolers in the 2017s. They have only protected their future sales for 17's, but to hell with the current 16 owners.
:cheers:

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Ford dealers were the problem. They pick what to stock the shelves with. Bean counters bet that most people wanted a poser car, looked like race car, sounded like a race car, and was quick on street but was no race car and that having a price $3000 lower would move a lot more cars. We'll never know if they were right? How many people with base and tech cars will spend the money on the upgrade? Never buy the first year car, my 2017 has better paint, body fitment, and coolers and tech, and was less than MSRP.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Someone way back many threads ago said if the GT350 Base or Tech is not a Track car, and the GT350 is not looked upon as a Drag Car, then what exactly is it? If I had spent all that money (but you didn't) on a perceived Track Capable car that will "shut itself down" even on the street(so, you being the authority, determined that it's absolutely going to shut itself down....and now it's absolutely going to do it on the street?), I would be livid. You can talk all you want about tracking a Tech car or Base car, but the facts are, your car might shut itself down or severely limit the power just driving on the highway on a hot day. (Really? Not sure you can say that it's a fact and then 4 words later, say "might"..it's hard to act like the authority on something if you, yourself, don't even know what you think. I do not know what the difference in price would have been for Ford to put the coolers on all of the GT350s, but I think in hindsight, they wish they would not have been so cheap.(I think it was more about marketing and wanting to get the car under $50k - and also to give people options and keep the price pretty close to the same....see below) Bean counters suck!
Speaking of giving customers options..... Note they canned the tech seats part way through this year....you think they will offer it next year? Maybe this change was due to getting bit when they try to make everyone happy. I hope they make just one car and that's it, no options.

The above post and pretty much this entire thread is a great example of how rumors grow into whatever they grow into....far from the truth, anyway.

Sponsored

Heretoford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 w/tech
the point about Ford wanting to keep the price down might have merit, but the car was already significantly cheaper than its competition (e.g., high end camaro, corvette) and would have remained so even with the proper tran and diff. I think it was most likely just a really really dumb decision on somebody's part in management/marketing. They obviously fixed it very quickly for 2017. Now, if they just offered an easy to implement solution that doesn't void the warranty for not too much more money, this whole issue will die a welcome death! Dear Ford, its not that many cars! Just fix it!!

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Not sure what vehicles you are referring to when you say "thay."

The GT500's went into limp mode when pushed too hard at the track as did the most recent Boss 302 cars. Of importance with this car are two things that we didn't necessarily see in the past. First, the elevated rpm ceiling. With a limit of 8250 rpm, the transmission is capable of generating much more heat than you would see were the redline as low as it was previously. Second, the change to IRS from the solid axle setup meant lower amounts of axle lubricant as the IRS doesn't have tubes extending from the center section out to the axle ends. So in a car capable of some relatively quick lap times, excess heat is generated that we typically didn't see before.

Engineers designed requisite coolers to address the heat seen under certain conditions. The issue of certain Tech/Base cars activating an alternate strategy to protect components exceeding a specific heat threshold is a result of pulling the coolers from the car in an attempt to sell cars at a given price to a specific demographic. I think given the choice to go back in time, Ford would have equipped cars across the board with coolers as they did starting in 2017. Ironic that the typical savings Ford thought that they could offer without the coolers on Tech/Base cars was negated by dealer greed in the form of ADM's (and then some).

Ford dealers were the problem. They pick what to stock the shelves with.
I agree they were part of the problem. They should be better educated on the products they sell and held to a much higher standard than what we have witnessed recently.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Not to mention how much smaller the TREMEC/FORD XMSN housing is in comparison to the MT82. With out the limp mode protection these xmsn's would be failing left and right.
Performance cars going into limp mode? It happens a lot and to many. Here are just a few:
[ame]
[ame]
[ame]

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Ford dealers were the problem. They pick what to stock the shelves with. Bean counters bet that most people wanted a poser car, looked like race car, sounded like a race car, and was quick on street but was no race car and that having a price $3000 lower would move a lot more cars. We'll never know if they were right? How many people with base and tech cars will spend the money on the upgrade? Never buy the first year car, my 2017 has better paint, body fitment, and coolers and tech, and was less than MSRP.
So the dealer is the fault why someone bought the car? The dealer didn't make a buyer buy their car.
I ordered my 2016 track pack knowing it was a option to have coolers or not. I had no interest of the tech pack. I keep reading people say how ford was wrong. Ford didn't make anyone choose what option to buy. They had all the info available before the order banks were open. Should I blame ford because my choice of car doesn't have NAV or heated / cooled seats?
I will agree that when a dealer ordered a gt350 they ordered it as a tech pack because "most" people when they buy any vehicle they want all the bells and whistles the interior has to offer.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.