Sponsored

Shelby GT350/350R Shifter Buzz Rattle Repair Solution PLEASE READ

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Good God it's horrible. Ford was able to pull the wool over quite a few eyes. Like everything else, the devil lies in the details. I broke down the OEM shifter, component by component as soon as it was available as a Ford Service part. You can find the writeups I've done on it if you look. It is a TR6060 Camaro shifter at heart and as such suffers from the same maladies. Once you learn more of it's design and construction you realize that it falls short by quite a bit. Feel may suffice when new but as time passes it will degrade with increased slop and bind. Many have had issues when new.

The reverse collar, spring, and foam are a horrible design. They served well to meet the study group that was looking for a "light" mechanism but it is far from robust and as such, fodder for threads such as this one.

The pendulum linkage design (in essence) tries to swing the linkage into position, a non-linear architectural flaw. That is the best part of the MGW what with it's single axis linkage, a real linear linkage.
Stock shifter isnt horrible. Maybe the stock clutch is. Everyone is entitled to there opinion though. I have no intention on changing the stock shifter in the short term
Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
You made a good point ... No reviewer that I've Seen or read mentioned the shifter at all. The clutch yes. But nobody mentioned the lousy stereo either! The seats and height yes.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Still waiting for a "reviewer" that actually had the shifter out of the car to review. And if they did, their comments on the materials, construction, and design.

Nada..

So the review on the mechanism itself may as well be with a blindfold on. They are commenting on what they think they are feeling as opposed to what is actually there. Then when it goes to shit they wonder how that could ever be possible.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Still waiting for a "reviewer" that actually had the shifter out of the car to review. And if they did, their comments on the materials, construction, and design.

Nada..

So the review on the mechanism itself may as well be with a blindfold on. They are commenting on what they think they are feeling as opposed to what is actually there. Then when it goes to shit they wonder how that could ever be possible.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably not a real religious guy or someone who has a lot of "faith" eh :lol:

I'm actually pretty positive that 100% of all reviews of any cars do not take the car apart during the review, so, you'll be waiting a long time before you see them dissect a shifter assembly...

As I said, lots of users on here already with relatively speaking high mileage considering the ownership time and no issues. CarandDriver also recently picked up a 17 non-R for a long term test (40K miles) and it will be interesting to see if they provide any notes on dissatisfaction with the shifter.

Also as I said, I'm 100% with you on the materials/construction of the shifter, but saying its garbage or is horrible is kind of silly. Do you have any examples of a car that has a shifter that is up to your levels of satisfaction that comes in an OEM application? That doesn't cost over 100K? Only one I could possibly think might have a great design would be the Cayman/Boxster as they are Porsche, but I don't believe any OEM design is going to have the robustness or directness of the MGW unit, which is why I think you are being unfairly harsh towards the OEM shifter considering the feel of it and the price point of the vehicle. Probably the only time I've ever disagree with any of your posts :lol:

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MoPar with Hurst!

Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
, but saying its garbage or is horrible is kind of silly. :lol:
SILLY? Must first words were terrible, flimsy! The worst performance part on car that driver has an Interaction with. Must go!

I'll go as far as saying you ain't really driving this car with stock shifter. I'd bet just a shifter change would take seconds off a drivers lap times.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Question for the OP... since you alcantara'ed that console, are you gonna do the same to that console lid?

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
In the Driveopolis review, which I think is quite good, he characterized the shifter as being functional, but having a slight rubberyness to the feel, especially compared to the GT4.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say you're probably not a real religious guy or someone who has a lot of "faith" eh :lol:

I'm actually pretty positive that 100% of all reviews of any cars do not take the car apart during the review, so, you'll be waiting a long time before you see them dissect a shifter assembly...

As I said, lots of users on here already with relatively speaking high mileage considering the ownership time and no issues. CarandDriver also recently picked up a 17 non-R for a long term test (40K miles) and it will be interesting to see if they provide any notes on dissatisfaction with the shifter.

Also as I said, I'm 100% with you on the materials/construction of the shifter, but saying its garbage or is horrible is kind of silly. Do you have any examples of a car that has a shifter that is up to your levels of satisfaction that comes in an OEM application? That doesn't cost over 100K? Only one I could possibly think might have a great design would be the Cayman/Boxster as they are Porsche, but I don't believe any OEM design is going to have the robustness or directness of the MGW unit, which is why I think you are being unfairly harsh towards the OEM shifter considering the feel of it and the price point of the vehicle. Probably the only time I've ever disagree with any of your posts :lol:
Trust but verify. Words to live by.

100% of the reviews don't take the shifter apart! You nailed it! That is the context of this thread, not "Car and Driver, etc." They write, not break down, repair, or design. Note when they have a problem they take it somewhere to have someone else get dirt under their fingernails.

This is garbage and horrible and that isn't silly. You keep referring to the MGW and I've been trying to discuss the merits, or lack thereof, of the OEM unit. I can indeed discuss other units if you'd like to go into depth but again, until you understand this particular unit, how it works, the materials used, and how it wears, we're wasting time. Take a closer look at the recent Camaro TR6060 shifter (both Gen five and Gen six) and you'll see the roots of this particular shifter and a better grasp. Educate yourself on single axis units, cable units, pendulum units...and not just what Motor Trend or some guy on Facebook says. Take them apart, see what wears and what doesn't. That's when the "reviews" will mean something.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
pathetic how some of you guys went on a rant over me taking time to solve a problem most Gt350 owners complain about. I advise the moderators to clean this thread up and stick to the subject. It is quite obvious there are vendors all over this forum using alias to create these rants in threads and i have seen proof of this for 3 years, get over it some of you guys have way too much time to be disruptive and not offering anything positive to the forum. I took the time to share a solution to a problem not to have others get into arguments over the OEM shifter and comparing it to aftermarket that isn't the point of what i did. Sounds to me like my solution might steer people away from buying aftermarket shifters? hope so and il have the last laugh i guess. And for all you "professional" competition drivers good luck at the race track, hope you win the next race because of your fancy new shifter!

OP
OP

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
Question for the OP... since you alcantara'ed that console, are you gonna do the same to that console lid?
yes i plan to but need to stitch the seam, haven't decided on the look just yet, who knows when il have time to do it. I might do a single top stitch in light gray to match the ones on the door inserts, not a fan of the double stitch since nothing on this car is double stitched except the console lid, kinda looks out of place.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'd bet just a shifter change would take seconds off a drivers lap times.
Not that you could actually measure this but....bet accepted?

I think, as pointed out, Epiphany is accustomed to highly-engineered mechanisms and in that regard, the OE shifter is susceptible to his scrutiny.

Epiphany - I know you didn't bring up an aftermarket shifter at first - but interactions with you tell us that you have a friendly relationship with MGW, that you have spent considerable time on the subject and are obviously very passionate about this and the hobby in general - all good! Point is - it's not hard to imagine the inference.

I'm in the boat of - I don't see anything wrong with the shifter at this point. If it makes some noise, I would be more likely to try the OPs fix as opposed to replacing the shifter. After owning 15 cars with manual transmissions (OE and aftermarket shifters) - I can say that I like this one the best. Would I like the MGW more, maybe - but I think the OE is far from the turd you guys are making it out to be. Maybe ignorance is bliss? (I know I set myself up on that one, don't take the cheap bait).

Thanks OP, for the options.

Secondtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 gt350dib tech
Mustang collector thanks for the write up ,I have only track raced 2times with car an find shifter adequate.However I have 100's of 1/4 runs (not with this car ) where I can I can see a clear benefit of using a aftermarket shifter.For all the Mustangs I've owned or driven from fox body's to present I beleve this is the best shifter ford has put into a car.Thats just my 2 cents on this topic

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It would be difficult to measure, I think if you had the chance run both you'd both you would say it helped in several ways. Missing shifts blows your confidence forces you to be distracted by the task from more important things. Just like auto blip and anti lock help the less skilled driver.

Yes thank you for the fix! I think people would also like hear what you learned covering the console, it looks good.

Threads drift stop reading when no longer interested. I find it interesting opinions vary so greatly and the points of view. Like Epiphany has educated me so many different shifter designs. Where my point of view is I don't know why its better just to me way better.

But I think burgerking burgers are better MicD.

So I don't think we need monitor police it will die on its own accord.
Sponsored