You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I just wanted to share this new Shelby (by Borla) cat-back exhaust that has been released for all 2020-2022 Shelby GT500 Mustangs. When I sent my car to Shelby American in 2020, I spoke to their VP Vince Laviolette about them possibly having an exhaust. I was told yes, they are in the works with Borla to make a Shelby branded kit. Well, almost three years later it has arrived.

To my knowledge this kit combines the Atak mufflers with a mid-muffler (resonator) to quiet the extremely loud Atack mufflers, and make it more stock like, just deeper. They did not disappoint, this kit is b-e-a-utiful. The entire kit is 3" except for the neck dow to 2.75" (I believe) to attach to the stock connect. The mid muffler-resonator is of straight through design which I believe also has an (H) internally. All the mufflers are SHELBY branded, and so are the tips.

I was worried the the tips were going to disappoint in size compared to stock, but nope, that are equally massive. I for one especially love the SHELBY branding on them as well.

Unfortunately I will not get this system installed for sometime. Life is too busy with work and college, and well, it's winter.

Here is the link: https://www.shelbystore.com/2020-Borla-Exhaust-p/130810.htm

Here are the specifics from the Shelby American website if anyone is interested in the full description.

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 1.24.12 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 1.23.26 PM.png

Here are some actual photos from my kit, hot off the Fedex truck.

IMG_0545.jpeg

IMG_0546.jpeg

IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0547.jpeg

IMG_0549.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg

IMG_0551.jpeg

UPDATE:

As you all could probably imagine, I could not take the suspense. Today being a clear day I figured what the hell and skipped college for a few hours. Total install time including the time to take the car off my 4 post lift and put it on the 2 post lift, weigh everything, install everything and test drive it, all by my lonesome, was 3.5 hours.

Stock cold start reference video:

Stock exhaust weighed in at 79.2 lbs (scale was zeroed with 2x4 in place)

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

New right side muffler with all hardware and exhaust module installed weighed in at 17.6 lbs

IMG_0567.jpeg

New left side muffler with all hardware and exhaust module installed weighed in at 17.4 lbs

IMG_0568.jpeg

Mid muffler with all hardware installed came in at 15.6 lbs

IMG_0569.jpeg

New right & left connection pipes combined weighed in at 17.6 lbs

IMG_0573.jpeg

Stock = (79.2) - combined weight of new exhaust (68.2) = 11 lbs lighter than the stock system

Here is the both system compared. It may not be noticeable in the photos but the piping is larger than stock, especially where the mufflers exit to the tail pipes (they also exit straight). The tips are larger than stock, and the openings are larger than stock.

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_0582.jpeg

IMG_0583.jpeg

And installed

IMG_0584.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg

Post installation cold start video:

I took it for a drive and all exhaust modes work as they should. Without a doubt deeper than stock, which is what I wanted. I do not think it's louder than stock, just much deeper. I think this may be the answer for track guys who are getting hit for exceeding their track DB levels.

Post test drive burble. Definitely deeper:

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Looks very nice :sunglasses:

The mid muffler-resonator is of straight through design which I believe also has an (H) internally.

IMG_0551.jpeg
Viewed from a slightly different angle, if it has a crossover pipe you should be able to see it :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks very nice :sunglasses:

Viewed from a slightly different angle, if it has a crossover pipe you should be able to see it :like:

Yup. Thing is I took the pictures before I left home. I know with certainty the mid muffler that was part of my Borla Touring kit on my last two cars did indeed have the H crossover, so I can only assume this one does too, I just failed to check when I was huffily taking the pictures. Tomorrow is another day.

Sponsored

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
This looks virtually identical to the Borla European AE Catback system I installed on my Roush RS3. Borla makes quality products. Deep tone and rumble - no drone - WOT you here it :)

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This looks virtually identical to the Borla European AE Catback system I installed on my Roush RS3. Borla makes quality products. Deep tone and rumble - no drone - WOT you here it :)
Yeah it also looks like my Borla Touring kit I had on my 2015 & 2017 Mustang GT. That said, the 3” diameter brings it to a whole new level. These pictures really do not do justice to the girth of these pipes. Largest diameter exhaust I have owned for sure.

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Love the shots you took as well as the hardware. Very nice Jaime.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
OVER THE TOP, Jaime! That rig looks amazing and I too am anxious to hear it, even via video but roger on Winter. I bet you'll be out there in the cold garage soon though. :-) FTR, the forecast high for today here is 90. :-)

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can't wait for videos to hear it.
Same here :sunglasses: Although video clips rarely seem to do these kind of things any justice ... :frown:

Wonder what the decibels are compared to stock and ATAK?
I will take a guess that in track it will be a little louder than the stock 500 system (tubing diameter increase) but much deeper with less of the high tones.

My logic :
  • Suitcase = same basic design (straight through) and similar sized, but with a longer length of perforations (reducing high tones & rasp) and the H (adding some rumble).
  • Mufflers = same basic design (straight through when the valves are open) and similar sized.
  • Additional bullet resonators (further reducing high tones & rasp).
I suspect the most noticeable differences will be in the drive modes where the valves are more active forcing more of the gas though the muffler / outer tailpipes. Fords standard design (if similar to the GT AE) is reasonably restrictive and has quite a tortuous gas path when it's forcing gas through the outer pipes. Borla would have a lot of flexibility to mess around with the internal configuration and sound for the outer pipes.

I would be interested to see how my armchair analysis pans out in reality :like: Even if I'm miles off ... :blush: :facepalm: :giggle:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
How much does that resonator weigh?

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As you all could probably imagine, I could not take the suspense. Today being a clear day I figured what the hell and skipped college for a few hours. Total install time including the time to take the car off my 4 post lift and put it on the 2 post lift, weigh everything, install everything and test drive it, all by my lonesome, was 3.5 hours.

Stock cold start reference video:

Stock exhaust weighed in at 79.2 lbs (scale was zeroed with 2x4 in place)

IMG_0558.jpeg

IMG_0559.jpeg

New right side muffler with all hardware and exhaust module installed weighed in at 17.6 lbs

IMG_0567.jpeg

New left side muffler with all hardware and exhaust module installed weighed in at 17.4 lbs

IMG_0568.jpeg

Mid muffler with all hardware installed came in at 15.6 lbs

IMG_0569.jpeg

New right & left connection pipes combined weighed in at 17.6 lbs

IMG_0573.jpeg

Stock = (79.2) - combined weight of new exhaust (68.2) = 11 lbs lighter than the stock system

Here is the both system compared. It may not be noticeable in the photos but the piping is larger than stock, especially where the mufflers exit to the tail pipes (they also exit straight). The tips are larger than stock, and the openings are larger than stock.

IMG_0574.jpeg

IMG_0575.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0577.jpeg

IMG_0578.jpeg

IMG_0579.jpeg

IMG_0580.jpeg

IMG_0581.jpeg

IMG_0582.jpeg

IMG_0583.jpeg

And installed

IMG_0584.jpeg

IMG_0585.jpeg

IMG_0586.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg

Post installation cold start video:

I took it for a drive and all exhaust modes work as they should. Without a doubt deeper than stock, which is what I wanted. I do not think it's louder than stock, just much deeper. I think this may be the answer for track guys who are getting hit for exceeding their track DB levels.

Post test drive burble. Definitely deeper:

Ezatnova

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Base HE
Woah! This is amazing! Congratulations and THANK YOU @Jmeo for the awesome write up and pics.

You and I chatted a bit over PM before (I bought a Lethal H and it's still in my garage, was planning on a spring install), and I believe you had and then removed that H, due to not caring for it.

Some questions if you don't mind (figured I'd ask here to benefit others, hopefully)

- How as the install overall as far as fit & finish, fitting/rubbing anywhere, clamps sealing well, etc.? I know some aftermarket clamps, i.e. the Lethal ones they ship, aren't great and the better ones on Amazon are recommended.

- This is bolt-on, correct? Nothing needs to be cut?

- Since I believe you had the Lethal H, you're in a rare spot to be able to comment on stock->H->Shelby Borla. Can you compare between the H and this, please?

- I think this really sounds like exactly what I'm interested in. I only have 150 miles on my car but the rasp sort of bugs me each time. The startup buzz, and then partial throttle in Normal and Sport has sort of a "swirling marble around in a coffee can" rasp sound that I don't care for, and it only goes away in Track mode. Sounds like this system that makes it deeper but not crazy loud could be the ticket for a more traditional v8 muscle car sound?

- I see they say "no drone" but have you had it on the highway in Track yet? The stock system drones in Track mode for me when on a highway at 60-80 mph.

Thanks again. This is fantastic.
Sponsored