Shaker to B&O Sub in 2018 Mustang Convertible

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT230 Convertible
Hey guys, recently joined, just bought my 2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium Convertible.

20200330_165618.jpg

It came with the 9 speaker sound system, though I had the subwoofer plug/wiring harness in the trunk and I had a $300 dealer credit so I bought a oem Shaker sub and installed it. Got the DSP, brackets, etc and everything is working perfect. Though I was just wondering if the 2019+ B&O sub would work? I'm assuming the sub bracket will still work, my main concern is if the sub plug/wiring is the same so that it will be plug and play like the Shaker sub.
BTW, I want to stay OEM on the sub as the aftermarket boxes won't fit the convertible, I don't want to lose anymore trunk space, and I'd be returning the sub to the dealer and ordering the B&O in its place if the swap works.

20200409_132316.jpg

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Dont waste your time with an b/o sub. If you want a sub sound, go with JL stealth box or swap out the enclosures sub with a more efficient sub and put polyfill in the box.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
That would be a very lateral upgrade.

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies,

I realize aftermarket will offer more performance, though I only want to use the OEM enclosure due to space. I'm coming from my last car which was a 3 row SUV that had TONS of space, with the Mustang trunk already being way smaller and a convertible I want to keep the sub enclosure OEM for space. I've lived with this car for about 2 months and can not lose anymore space than the OEM size, it's already a challenge fitting all my things.

From what I understand the Shaker is an 8" sub, the B&O is a 10", will there be any issue with the connections using the B&O instead? Would only cost me $80 to swap to it. Then in the future I'd like to replace the sub in the stock enclosure for something aftermarket.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
the jl stealth box, is the exact same space as that box. you lose no useable space from other box, unless you stuck pieces of paper around the stock enclosure that is now filled by the jl box using all the space in the cavity.

imo. you gain a little space due to the weird lip thing on bottom of stock sub
image.jpg
sub.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
the jl stealth box, is the exact same space as that box. you lose no useable space from other box, unless you stuck pieces of paper around the stock enclosure that is now filled by the jl box using all the space in the cavity.

imo. you gain a little space due to the weird lip thing on bottom of stock sub
image.jpg
sub.JPG
I looked at getting a stealth box but I couldn't find any that fit the convertible since the trunk slopes down more than the fastback. Look at the space available on the top left of the factory sub in your pic, and the space available on mine here in this pic. That's why I'm wanting a factory sub because I can't find an aftermarket option that fits in the convertible trunk here. Though later I'll upgrade the sub speaker in it for more punch.

20200414_132703.jpg

BTW, my main reason for wanting a B&O over the Shaker sub is it's a 10" so I should have more options in the future when replacing the sub speaker, and it only costs $80 if I return this one as I just bought it. My main concerns I'm trying to figure out are
1. The B&O box looks stronger built, so less flex? Or will the shaker have less flex being an 8"?
2. Will the sub harness plug into the B&O sub just like it did with the Shaker?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
id get a more efficient 8 inch sub, toss polypill in it, and run it. I don't think you are going to get much gain going to to B/O. a better 8 inch will probably stomp the 10 inch Bo.

Let me see if JL makes a shallow mount 8 inch speaker for ya.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
first off, I would use crutchfield, you can return anything within 30 days, its like 7 dollars return postage.

I'd toss this, I believe stock oem sub is 2 ohms, this is a 2ohm ,ready, 50-150watt rms which is right around the stock amp produces. don't see why it wouldn't fit. it should sound substantially better with some polyfill in that box.

nothing to lose, swap them out, I know people do I have read of a ;lot of people just swapping stock sub out and using oem box.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3SD28/Rockford-Fosgate-P3SD2-8.html

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
first off, I would use crutchfield, you can return anything within 30 days, its like 7 dollars return postage.

I'd toss this, I believe stock oem sub is 2 ohms, this is a 2ohm ,ready, 50-150watt rms which is right around the stock amp produces. don't see why it wouldn't fit. it should sound substantially better with some polyfill in that box.

nothing to lose, swap them out, I know people do I have read of a ;lot of people just swapping stock sub out and using oem box.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P3SD28/Rockford-Fosgate-P3SD2-8.html
I swapped the stock sub with that exact RF sub - much better and easy to swap.

OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the replies!

I might give that a try, though when you say it sounds better are you referring to sound quality or amount of bass punch?

Would I be able to get more if I did have the 10" B&O and swapped it with an aftermarket 10"?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Benjamin Hundred

Benjamin Hundred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Vehicle(s)
I've heard Focal makes some really high end audio, they have this shallow mount 8", though it says 4ohm will that be an issue and if so is there a work around? Thanks so much for the help guys!
Focal P 20 FSE 8" Shallow Mount
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091SUBP20S/Focal-P-20-FSE.html

Unless it'd be a better route to get the B&O and put a 10" in that

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard Focal makes some really high end audio, they have this shallow mount 8", though it says 4ohm will that be an issue and if so is there a work around? Thanks so much for the help guys!
Focal P 20 FSE 8" Shallow Mount
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091SUBP20S/Focal-P-20-FSE.html

Unless it'd be a better route to get the B&O and put a 10" in that

yes itl be an issue. your amp is producing whatever amount of power @ 2ohms (the stock sub is 2ohm I believe) so if you put a 4ohm, you will be putting same amount of power to the sub, but 4ohm will play half as loud as if it were 2ohm.

going from 4ohm to 2ohm would double its sound, 4ohm to 2ohm will halve the sound.

so if you want a replacement, find a 2ohm sub

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
yes itl be an issue. your amp is producing whatever amount of power @ 2ohms (the stock sub is 2ohm I believe) so if you put a 4ohm, you will be putting same amount of power to the sub, but 4ohm will play half as loud as if it were 2ohm.

going from 4ohm to 2ohm would double its sound, 4ohm to 2ohm will halve the sound.

so if you want a replacement, find a 2ohm sub
Or use a dual voice coil sub with 4 ohm coils and wire them in parallel to give you 2 ohms.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
True. Didn’t think about rewriting it. Ultimately you want it wired for 2ohms in the end whatever you do

wsfrazier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 M6 401a
Do you have the part numbers for the B&O sub, amp, etc? I can't seem to find the right p/n that doesn't end up being the shaker branded parts from 15-18.
Sponsored