Sponsored

Service Advancetrac light coming on during Autocross run

bullitt2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Green
Hi all,

I have searched the forums regarding this issue but couldn't find anything specific to autocross. For background, I have a 2015 GT with a couple of OEM and after-market suspension and brake modifications.

At an event yesterday, in the middle of my run, the "Service AdvanceTrac" notice came on the dash during a high-speed unlevel part of the course. It stayed on until I parked and then it switched to something along the lines of "Hill climb not available" and then had the Traction control and Stability control off lights displayed on the dash. My data logger may be able to tell me if it is a wheel sensor issue. Has anyone had this happen during a track day before?
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I have searched the forums regarding this issue but couldn't find anything specific to autocross. For background, I have a 2015 GT with a couple of OEM and after-market suspension and brake modifications.

At an event yesterday, in the middle of my run, the "Service AdvanceTrac" notice came on the dash during a high-speed unlevel part of the course. It stayed on until I parked and then it switched to something along the lines of "Hill climb not available" and then had the Traction control and Stability control off lights displayed on the dash. My data logger may be able to tell me if it is a wheel sensor issue. Has anyone had this happen during a track day before?
Was traction control/advancetrak set on or off?

Once and a while I'll get a traction control freakout. Sometimes while autocrossing or on a track. Sometimes on a gravel road. For autocross runs, its about a 1 in 80 occurrence for me. Usually its associated with a bump or running over a strange bit of pavement.

Check your wheel hubs for play, I think that may make it more likely. If you replace them make sure to include that little thrust washer.

If you're trying to run with traction control and advancetrak turned off - you can always disconnect the connector in the engine bay (just remember to reconnect it after the event).

OP
OP

bullitt2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Green
Was traction control/advancetrak set on or off?

Once and a while I'll get a traction control freakout. Sometimes while autocrossing or on a track. Sometimes on a gravel road. For autocross runs, its about a 1 in 80 occurrence for me. Usually its associated with a bump or running over a strange bit of pavement.

Check your wheel hubs for play, I think that may make it more likely. If you replace them make sure to include that little thrust washer.

If you're trying to run with traction control and advancetrak turned off - you can always disconnect the connector in the engine bay (just remember to reconnect it after the event).
It was set to "on". The notice on the dash came on over a bump on the course and only came on for one run so I'm wondering if it was due to that. I'll check the wheel hubs as well though. Thanks!

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Yeah clean your wheel speed sensors too. They can get a little dirty and do weird things. Just wipe them off.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I have had this issue before with autocross. I have all babysitters turned off. I attribute it to the car moving violently left, right, gas, brake and it seems to through the stability control into a fit. Even with everything turned off it still did it. Restarting the car fixed it, only to happen again on next run. Not aware of any cure.

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I have had this issue before with autocross. I have all babysitters turned off. I attribute it to the car moving violently left, right, gas, brake and it seems to through the stability control into a fit. Even with everything turned off it still did it. Restarting the car fixed it, only to happen again on next run. Not aware of any cure.
I wonder if you unplug the whole system under the hood if it would solve the issue?

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I wonder if you unplug the whole system under the hood if it would solve the issue?
I've unplugged mine and it has never had an issue at an autocross.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
You talking unplugging ABS?
No not the ABS

The harness plug is located near your air filter box on the drivers side. Unplugging disables the entire advancetrac system.

To the best of my knowledge.

Sponsored

Radiation Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost PP Manual Recaro
Why wouldn't you unplug ABS??? It's the least useful nanny in the basket. The only thing it's useful for is stopping a rear tire lock-up during late braking turn in. If one can't threshold brake, maybe one's priorities are messed up.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Why wouldn't you unplug ABS??? It's the least useful nanny in the basket. The only thing it's useful for is stopping a rear tire lock-up during late braking turn in. If one can't threshold brake, maybe one's priorities are messed up.
Ok. Go for it.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I'd love to see you show us all how you threshold brake during autocross.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hi all,

I unfortunately have that happen all the time in autocross in both S550s I owned (also it has been talked quite extensively in multiple threads). Problem with it is that turns everything (advancetrac / traction control) back on (on Premium cars - goes back to Normal mode, on Magride cars - that impacts suspension too).
Only true cure I was able to find was the pull the plug - what else it does aside from disabling traction control / advancetrac, isn't completely known - it most definitely does not disable ABS - only effect I've noticed is that wheel steering angle is no longer broadcasted on CAN bus - which may or may not affect magride cars.

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Unplugging the dyno plug will only turn off the traction control, you still have ABS. It's not legal to run in that configuration in Street class although if you ask the other people in your class they probably won't have a problem with it at local events. I'm not sure if it affects Magneride or not but if it kills the steering angle then it probably does.

It was a common issue for the track cars at Ford Performance racing school but that was due to the banking on the oval at Charlotte and the bumpy track. If it happens just turn the car off and on again (reboot your Mustang) and some have suggested holding down on the brake pedal while disabling the advance track by holding the toggle up on the dash for more than 3 seconds.
Sponsored