Sponsored

Seriously, how do you read the oil dip stick?

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey everyone, I've owned my 2018 5.0 for over 3 years and reading the dip stick is a nightmare. Iam trying to see my recent oil change level, and good god, I can see the bottom circle has a oil film on it, the top does not. But man oh man, trying to see how far above min level I am with fresh clean oil is horrible. Anyone have any tips?

Checking with the manual suggested method. Get engine to operating temp, sit 15 min, check.

Thank you
Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I can see the bottom circle has a oil film on
That's all you really need to know.
Other than that, some has scuffed the dip stick with fine steel wool, or even used a permanent black marker to cover the bottom of the dip stick up to the two holes.
But keep it simple, if the bottom hole has oil in it, gtg.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Motorcraft syn blend 5w20 was an act of pure frustration when it came to reading the level. Once I switched it wasn't a problem. Even pennzoil plat 5w20 was significantly easier to read.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've been struggling and swearing for some time until someone suggested an awesome solution in another thread. Never mind the exact level. If there's oil in the lower hole but not in the upper one, then everything is fine; no action needed. If there's oil in both holes, then the oil level is too high. If there's no oil in either hole, then the oil level is too low. That's all there is to it. Easy-peasy.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've been struggling and swearing for some time until someone suggested an awesome solution in another thread. Never mind the exact level. If there's oil in the lower hole but not in the upper one, then everything is fine; no action needed. If there's oil in both holes, then the oil level is too high. If there's no oil in either hole, then the oil level is too low. That's all there is to it. Easy-peasy.
I don't quite agree with that one, oil in the top hole is still correct level, it's only if it's above that that you have an issue. Hole to hole is 1 total quart.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't quite agree with that one, oil in the top hole is still correct level, it's only if it's above that that you have an issue. Hole to hole is 1 total quart.
That's technically true, but still, lacking a better method of reading the actual oil level, you've got nothing to lose by erring on the side of caution.
Let's say that having oil in both holes isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself, but it is a definite sign that your attention is needed, and that a closer look and a more accurate oil level reading is in order.

55Tele

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Coupe
I discovered that due to the high volume of oil….when it gets heated up, your oil volume / dipstick level does increase……never noticed on any other car I owned….but 10 qts in these engines and a 100F increase in temp can increase volume by about 4%…..that’s almost 13oz of volume increase…..I have a dead cold level at below the top hole but above the “nominal” line. When the engine is at operating temp, oil goes to covering the top hole or slightly more *wating 30 min to drain).

This may be why ford has the mark/ line below the top hole??? I will continue to check the level totally cold…..10 qts brought mine below the top hole at the first oil change as described above…..with oil not warmed up but circulated briefly….

My engine was filled to at or slightly above the top hole at the factory…..checked totally cold at delivery (by me)

I am using the Motorcraft 5w30 semi syn…

Last edited:

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Having the hash marks on the dipstick face toward the motor seems to help.
Sponsored