Seniors: Louder Exhaust?

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
I'm 52 and love the sound of a Coyote with a resonator delete X pipe. Mine has a Roush X resonator delete and the Roush active ready Quad tip with no plate in straight through tip. It is loud but nice till you go 3/4 on the throttle then it gets LOUD. I like it though. It really has kind of an exotic sound with the 4V and X pipe.

It really reminds me of my 95 ZR1 that had custom made Lingenfelter headers and Lingenfelter full exhaust. Only had this car for about a week before somebody made me an offer I couldn't refuse.........followed me home after hearing the car.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sy1462

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Went with the Borla touring cat back on this one and it is perfect for me. IDK if I'm "senior", but I'm over the 50 so I guess that's close enough. The note has a low rumble to it at low RPM. Not raspy and no drone which are both requirements for me. It really comes to life when I get into the boost. If you want something that is a little louder than stock that won't make you hate the car on the interstate/highway this is a perfect system.

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
I had the Borla S AE Cat Back and Resonator on my first Mustang. Loved the sound, but it was too loud for me. Went with the Borla S AE Cat Back European version on current Mustang and perfect. Still screams under WOT. Nice rumble and tone under normal driving.

I still have the Standard Borla AE Sport Cat back........anyone interested will let it go for a very good price

ezracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 DIB Mustang GT Premium.
So I'm 75. I think I'm a senior....I can't remember :crackup:
Anyhoo I have the Roush axle-backs with the stock resonator. Nice muscle car tone, no rasp, but it does drone some
between 40-50 mph. I actually don't care. Hey, It's a performance car.

I remember the salesman pulling up to let me test drive. He had the "kicker" audio cranked up.(awesome btw )
I told him the music for me is under the hood.
:rockon:

Sponsored

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm 75. I think I'm a senior....I can't remember :crackup:
Anyhoo I have the Roush axle-backs with the stock resonator. Nice muscle car tone, no rasp, but it does drone some
between 40-50 mph. I actually don't care. Hey, It's a performance car.

I remember the salesman pulling up to let me test drive. He had the "kicker" audio cranked up.(awesome btw )
I told him the music for me is under the hood.
:rockon:
I also am pleased with the Roush AB with stock resonator. If it has drone I don't even notice, lol.

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I have the Roush non-active Performance Exhaust. It was okay, but left me wanting a little more. Then I figured out that the inside pipes had a removable baffle plate. So out they came. Wow... what a difference it made. If you baby it and in the higher gears at cruising speed it's not bad at all, but get on it and it comes alive. At high RPMs in the lower gears it's a little too loud to be honest... but I'll live... :flag:

BLUE DEVIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Prem - Perf Pack
I have the Roush non-active Performance Exhaust. It was okay, but left me wanting a little more. Then I figured out that the inside pipes had a removable baffle plate. So out they came. Wow... what a difference it made. If you baby it and in the higher gears at cruising speed it's not bad at all, but get on it and it comes alive. At high RPMs in the lower gears it's a little too loud to be honest... but I'll live...
You have the active ready quad tip same as I do. If you want to install the active exhaust control kit (expensive!!) you can and then you got active exhaust. Do you still have the resonator on the mid-pipe??

A guy here did it on the cheap with other than Roush parts.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/make-your-roush-quad-exhaust-active-on-the-cheap.81138/

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
You have the active ready quad tip same as I do. If you want to install the active exhaust control kit (expensive!!) you can and then you got active exhaust. Do you still have the resonator on the mid-pipe??

A guy here did it on the cheap with other than Roush parts.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/make-your-roush-quad-exhaust-active-on-the-cheap.81138/
I assume everything is stock but haven’t really checked on the resonator. Interesting DIY for active but I’ll probably just drive it w/o the baffle plates for awhile and see what I think as a whole. If I think I need to quiet it more, I’ll probably just break out a hole saw and drill a hole in the baffle plates and keep cutting until I find the right spot. I can pretty much control the situation with my right foot for now.

EDIT: Checked and yes resonator is there. I think moving to an X or H pipe in addition to what I’ve got would be too crazy for my taste.

Last edited:

Cafasco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Steeda H-pipe installed in about 1.5 hours w jack stands under the rear jack points. I found it odd that the muffler side of the h pipe was not 2.5” ID but a butt type fit. Anyway it’s sounds better but still a bit on the quiet side. Someone said 10% louder crusing and 25% when you romp on it. There is zero drone, so that’s good. I’d say that is accurate. I may add some SLP Loudmouth II’s at some point.

if I had to do it again, I’d prob try the SLP II’s first. I’m a bit afraid the H pipe and SLP II’s might be too much. Some report that combo is boomy.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
Steeda H-pipe installed in about 1.5 hours w jack stands under the rear jack points. I found it odd that the muffler side of the h pipe was not 2.5” ID but a butt type fit. Anyway it’s sounds better but still a bit on the quiet side. Someone said 10% louder crusing and 25% when you romp on it. There is zero drone, so that’s good. I’d say that is accurate. I may add some SLP Loudmouth II’s at some point.

if I had to do it again, I’d prob try the SLP II’s first. I’m a bit afraid the H pipe and SLP II’s might be too much. Some report that combo is boomy.
LOL. Funny how we all perceive things differently. In my case it’s probably because of my hearing aids but when I had my Steeda H-Pipe put in about a weeks ago it actually hurt my ears! I was afraid I was going to have to put the resonator back on. But then I realized it was only because it was very loud on a cold start but once warmed up I like it. Enjoy

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
With an FRPP X-pipe and some Borla S-Type AB's the cold starts are definitely loud, but once up to temp it sounds great through out the rpm range.

Last edited:

Dare2goBare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Ruby Red Metallic
66 this Sept. Thinking I'm in the age group.. hearing aids and all. Have the Steeda H and last month installed the Borla Sport Axle Backs. Sounds great at idle and Realy wakes up with throttle. At first I found it a bit louder than I wanted. Told my Son. He replied.. just take your hearing aids out. Ya gots to love Kids.. Anyways. Love the sound now and Get lots of head turns and complements. Even my Lady Friend loves the aggressive tone. No drone of any sort to boot.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Not quite a senior mid 50s. I have a Borla switch fire and getting the FRPP exhaust by Borla extreme.

dgreene1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
54 and just added an H- Pipe to my existing Roush axle back. Gotta say I really like it and oddly enough my wife was the driving force to get it done. Just did a10 hour round trip in it and it's not too bad. Keep it around 75mph and it's fine when pulling up a small grade. 80mph gets a good bit louder.

Funny how heads snapped to look when I fired it up at the hotel in the mornings.
I've also got the Roush axle-back and considering the H-pipe. How would you describe the change in sound after adding the H? How much louder/deeper?
Sponsored