Seniors: Louder Exhaust?

Mscratch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
So how many seniors have replaced the stock exhaust with something louder? :wink: As a kid I used to smile when my dad would be aggravated by loud exhausts going by our house. I did it with my V6 but went back to stock because of drone. I probably do have less tolerance for that compared to younger days. I will eventually try something else, though, 'cause stock is too quiet. :)
I did the magna flow catback street exhaust on mine with the x pipe, very happy with the sound and look. Ended up buying on amazon for $730. Great price considering they can go up $1400.
Sponsored

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure what qualifies as a 'Senior' these days. I bicycle everyday and am in the gym everyday lifting. I'm 56. I have the active exhaust on my 2019 and its in track mode pretty much all the time. My favorite is to be in the middle lane on a three lane expressway and scream between two cars going slower on the two outer lanes (make sure the windows are open) in 1st or 2nd. Its loud as hell - brings a huge smile to my face every time :-)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I've never wanted to have a loud exhaust on any of my cars. A little more "voice" than OE is one thing, but I've never been able to get on board with having a loud car for the sake of it being loud, or with spending the crazy amounts of money that the name-brand systems seem to be commanding these days. Sound "character" is the more important aspect, and these days I'm no longer finding the classic dual-exhausted V8 sound pleasing. It nearly always turns out to be a truck, and the disappointment that follows has reached aversion proportions.

Even on the track I'd rather the noise level stay within moderation. I've passed, or been passed by, cars that were loud enough to make my ears hurt and that's while wearing a full-face helmet.

I'll be 72 before the end of the year . . .

Norm

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I am 57 with stock exhaust on my 19 auto and last night I put a steeda H pipe on so far it’s just about perfect
I'm 51 and Steeda H-pipe arriving tomorrow for install with my stock mufflers, to replace my MBRP X-pipe...lot of people seem to like that combo, one of the first things I noticed test driving it last summer at the dealer was how loud it was for a non-active stock exhaust. The X made it louder, going for the H just to see what the tone change is like.

Seems like any more "Senior" doesn't start till you're about 80, everybody's really tuned in to what it takes to stay active and healthy. And anybody over 25 who buys a Mustang is young mentally too!

Alberto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like any more "Senior" doesn't start till you're about 80, everybody's really tuned in to what it takes to stay active and healthy.
Gotta agree with this. It was so weird when I turned 40, I pretty much stopped counting. As long as my arms and legs work and I can get lumber for my girlfriend, age doesn't matter. It is nice having more $$ than when I was 25 though :-)

Sponsored

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Although I don't often get much lumber even though I live near HD, I do need to take more advantage of senior discounts when available. :blush:

Oh yea, on topic we can see a lot of good proven ideas here that seniors have shown for exhaust options.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
........ and I can get lumber for my girlfriend, age doesn't matter. It is nice having more $$ than when I was 25 though :-)
Does she send you out to the woodshed to get that? :)

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I'm 51 and Steeda H-pipe arriving tomorrow for install with my stock mufflers, to replace my MBRP X-pipe...lot of people seem to like that combo, one of the first things I noticed test driving it last summer at the dealer was how loud it was for a non-active stock exhaust. The X made it louder, going for the H just to see what the tone change is like.

Seems like any more "Senior" doesn't start till you're about 80, everybody's really tuned in to what it takes to stay active and healthy. And anybody over 25 who buys a Mustang is young mentally too!
Agreed I was surprised when the salesman auto started the car in front of me. I get a lot of compliments on the car's sound. I brought it into work last Friday and a guy came up to me this morning telling me he loved how it sounded and if the exhaust was modified. Told him nope just it's as Edsel specified :)

Last edited:

Dragon2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris Dunnigan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Still stock but exploring a mild axle back while retaining the factory resonator to eliminate/mitigate drone.
At 50 I am kinda enjoying the stock quietness though tbh.
x-pipe or h-pipe won't have an drone had both of them on my 17 then my 18 sounds really good!!! No need for buying mufflers!!

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
x-pipe or h-pipe won't have an drone had both of them on my 17 then my 18 sounds really good!!! No need for buying mufflers!!
Got it, no drone.

But what sound/tone/rasp/etc. difference did you observe between X pipe and H pipe?

Sponsored

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed I was surprised when the salesman auto started the car in front of me. I get a lot of compliments on the car's sound. I brought it into work last Friday and a guy came up to me this morning telling me he loved how it sounded and if the exhaust was modified. Told him nope just it's as Edsel specified :)
Who is Edsel ................jk

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
As a fairly new Senior, early 50's, and I am spending $65,000 for a loud exhaust system. Oh, it has a Mustang attached to it. I am getting this car mainly for the exhaust note.

myblkshadow19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford mustang
Vehicle Showcase
i am actually good with the dual mode setup, quite for the neighborhood and then loud when i want it to be. the long tubes are gonna change that also once she's broken in.

TheReaper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shadow Black GT
My last 3 GT's had loud aftermarket exhaust but I think I will leave this one stock for now. I'm old and deaf but this car sounds really good.

MPotter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Borla sport cat-back, here, and I'm lovin' it. Wife is not a big fan, but tolerant :)
Sponsored