Sponsored

Seniors: Louder Exhaust?

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Agreed, most here (being seniors on this thread) are not doing loud as hell. Just like moderate tint for seniors (at least for me) is likely more common than cheap-looking multi-shade extremely dark tint.
Sponsored

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
Agreed, most here (being seniors on this thread) are not doing loud as hell. Just like moderate tint for seniors (at least for me) is likely more common than cheap-looking multi-shade extremely dark tint.
Iā€™m glad you added ā€œat least for meā€; no offense but Iā€™ll speak for myself, thanks.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi Kids... I know it's macho to tell the world how great loud is. But... enjoy your hearing while you can with that attitude cuz it will only be a memory if you don't care for it.

Take a second... take into consideration that you can hear a bug buzz by your ear. The little hairs in your ear canal that can do that is what you are bombarding with major "ear splitting" 100db sounds. https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html
I ran loud mufflers and lived around jet engines for a lifetime and it caught up. Once your hearing degrades there is no repairing it. There are no pills. There are no transplants.
There's also tinnitus... 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year after year ( 10 years so far) ... a loud squealing in your ears. It will never go away.

Make fun, be flippant about hearing loss, but something to keep in mind. The number 1 and 2 problems the VA (Veterans Administration) deals with is hearing loss and tinnitus. The VA serves over 9 million vets.

Degrade or lose your hearing and your most repeated phrase will be: "what did you say?"
I would like to see interior dB ratings for some of the popular exhaust setups, at say 80 mph in 5th gear. A little hearing loss isn't too bad but tinnitus is no fun.

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
Iā€™m glad you added ā€œat least for meā€; no offense but Iā€™ll speak for myself, thanks.
Wonderful, at least your earlier post was on topic. You are welcome.

Deleted member 35786

I would like to see interior dB ratings for some of the popular exhaust setups, at say 80 mph in 5th gear. A little hearing loss isn't too bad but tinnitus is no fun.
And the folks with an auto? :)

22yrs working the flightline in the USAF as a jet mechanic and thankfully my tinnitus is very mild. I was pretty disciplined and wore my ear protection. It did give me an extra %10 with the VA. :)

Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Shit Iā€™m 39 and have had tinnitus since I was a teenager. Damn ear infections as a kid messed my ears up. Drives me crazy sometimes. Other times Iā€™m so used to it I donā€™t notice it.

I just put Borla Atak on mine and before I did it I was like ā€œIā€™m going headers and Atakā€

Now? Ehhh..if I did that it would be crazy loud. Iā€™d probably have to step down to another muffler setup.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I am 57 with stock exhaust on my 19 auto and last night I put a steeda H pipe on so far itā€™s just about perfect
:like:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
And the folks with an auto? :)

22yrs working the flightline in the USAF as a jet mechanic and thankfully my tinnitus is very mild. I was pretty disciplined and wore my ear protection. It did give me an extra %10 with the VA. :)
I rented a GT with Auto and I drove that in a more reasonable manner, getting better MPG.

google returned an faa doc, on Military Noise Environments and I got these numbers:

F22
Crew Chief position: 139 dBA
Engine Adjustment position: 150 dBA

that's definitely louder than a Mustang

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
I'm an old guy (60) and one of my first enhancements was replacing the wimpy stock exhaust with a Corsa sport cat-back. 2+ years later it's still delivering smiles to my face.

Sponsored

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
There are a number of app's for your android or iPhone that will measure DB's. I've got the android Sound Meter app. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gamebasic.decibel&hl=en Running over roads, with performance tires, that where not paved with great asphalt, and a stock muffler, I could see 80 plus DB's. Just that road noise would drown out the radio. It was physically painful to your ears.

"How noise pollution is ruining our hearing. Damage from loud sounds is cumulative ā€” but really loud noise can hurt your hearing in a matter of minutes." << I can attest to that. Lost a bunch of mine in a 2 hour period of loud noises.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2018/6/6/17430986/hearing-loss-noise-pollution
Hearing loss can be cumulative. Lawn mowers, your leaf blowers drying off you car, the shop vac screaming in your ears and the music turned up.

I don't mean to rain on parades, just trying to bring some awareness to those of you who are still young and immortal :)
And don't forget, you Heard it here first :)

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I rented a GT with Auto and I drove that in a more reasonable manner, getting better MPG.

google returned an faa doc, on Military Noise Environments and I got these numbers:

F22
Crew Chief position: 139 dBA
Engine Adjustment position: 150 dBA

that's definitely louder than a Mustang
Great! My son did the F22 crew chief / mechanic at Elmendorf and Edwards.

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
My convertible Mustang was the first car I ever started backing into my garage. An ā€˜18 with Active Exhaust. A side benefit... keep the top down and cold start and I think Iā€™m in a You Tube video with the camera shoved up to the tail pipe. The garage shakes. Awesome! :muscle:

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
Do you have a different valence/diffuser to accommodate that, or did you cut what you had? Very nice, btw!
Hi Jay I had the GT350 lower valance fitted which has the exhaust tips already attached it was an expensive exhaust but itā€™s great because you get the nice burble when cruising around and then all hell lets loose when you open it up but absolutely no drone and when cruising at 60 to 80mph itā€™s perfectly acceptable - so a good investment on my car to which Iā€™ve also had the 2018 rear spoiler fitted as well Regards Charles

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Jay I had the GT350 lower valance fitted which has the exhaust tips already attached it was an expensive exhaust but itā€™s great because you get the nice burble when cruising around and then all hell lets loose when you open it up but absolutely no drone and when cruising at 60 to 80mph itā€™s perfectly acceptable - so a good investment on my car to which Iā€™ve also had the 2018 rear spoiler fitted as well Regards Charles
Nice. Sounds as good as it looks!
Sponsored