Seniors: Louder Exhaust?

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
So how many seniors have replaced the stock exhaust with something louder? :wink: As a kid I used to smile when my dad would be aggravated by loud exhausts going by our house. I did it with my V6 but went back to stock because of drone. I probably do have less tolerance for that compared to younger days. I will eventually try something else, though, 'cause stock is too quiet. :)
I thought the stock exhaust was just a bit too quiet so I had the resonator replaced with X-pipe and kept the stock mufflers. I think this is the way Ford should have built the car in first place. It has just the right tone now without droning. My wife barley noticed the difference inside the car with the windows up. By the way, it also shaved weight off the car; the resonator is quite heavy.
Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
'17 stock exhaust is just too quiet.

But I value neighbors. Families around may have small kids, etc.

I settled on active Varex xforce catback exhaust.

In quiet mode it is pretty much stock level.

in open mode it is just right to me. It is not very loud exhaust in this mode by any means. No drone.

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
I have the Ford Racing Sport QUAD by Borla with GT350 valance on my MY17 GT - great looks and sound with no drone
30BD1B78-79F6-4BBF-910F-2C12C9A9019A.jpeg

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose I'm a pre-senior at 52 but top down on my 2018 GT vert with Roush axle back is a blast, but I behave inside my neighborhood.
I find the Roush's are pretty tame until you accelerate then all hell brakes lose. You scare people. I've learned to take it easy as of late but i'm not against backing off tailgater with a timely downshift, and exhaust blast while going thru a underpass.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Ford Racing Sport QUAD by Borla with GT350 valance on my MY17 GT - great looks and sound with no drone
30BD1B78-79F6-4BBF-910F-2C12C9A9019A.jpeg
Do you have a different valence/diffuser to accommodate that, or did you cut what you had? Very nice, btw!

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Still stock.. Having a hard time deciding on just an H pipe or retaining the stock resonator and install a nice axle back like the SLP LM 2. I am over 50 so I do not want any drone..Nor do I want to break the bank on just noise. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
I put Roush Axle backs on my '16 shortly after purchasing it. I love it but am considering putting on an H-pipe too. It's gonna get loud but as long as cruising is not too bad I'll be fine. My wife likes loud too so that's a bonus.

hvac999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Premium Coupe
In the rear I used 2 Thrush Turbo Mufflers and at the resonator I used a 2 chamber "Rumble". I think they are made by Magnaflow. great sound. Quiet when idling and loud when you open it up.

Wiscane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
1972 Mustang, 2014 F150 Limited
So how many seniors have replaced the stock exhaust with something louder? :wink: As a kid I used to smile when my dad would be aggravated by loud exhausts going by our house. I did it with my V6 but went back to stock because of drone. I probably do have less tolerance for that compared to younger days. I will eventually try something else, though, 'cause stock is too quiet. :)
**** My HEARING is going ……. I had too ! :-)

rubyinla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Hi Kids... I know it's macho to tell the world how great loud is. But... enjoy your hearing while you can with that attitude cuz it will only be a memory if you don't care for it.

Take a second... take into consideration that you can hear a bug buzz by your ear. The little hairs in your ear canal that can do that is what you are bombarding with major "ear splitting" 100db sounds. https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html
I ran loud mufflers and lived around jet engines for a lifetime and it caught up. Once your hearing degrades there is no repairing it. There are no pills. There are no transplants.
There's also tinnitus... 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year after year ( 10 years so far) ... a loud squealing in your ears. It will never go away.

Make fun, be flippant about hearing loss, but something to keep in mind. The number 1 and 2 problems the VA (Veterans Administration) deals with is hearing loss and tinnitus. The VA serves over 9 million vets.

Degrade or lose your hearing and your most repeated phrase will be: "what did you say?"

Sponsored

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
BTW Im 58 and still love a loud exhaust which is why my new build has the active. Cant wait to get her and will do the H pipe for sure if it doesn't drone with the active exhaust.
I have a ‘19 GT with active exhaust; dropped in a Steeda H-pipe... perfect for me and no drone.

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
So that is why when I drive around with my exhaust at Track mode the 2 inside tips are darker than the outside ones. Does this mean that driving the car with normal setting will darken all 4 tips? Guess I need to drive in normal mode more to find out.
Track on active opens the valves on the two inside tips; quiet closes them, normal and sport progressively more open.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Kids... I know it's macho to tell the world how great loud is. But... enjoy your hearing while you can with that attitude cuz it will only be a memory if you don't care for it.

Take a second... take into consideration that you can hear a bug buzz by your ear. The little hairs in your ear canal that can do that is what you are bombarding with major "ear splitting" 100db sounds. https://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html
I ran loud mufflers and lived around jet engines for a lifetime and it caught up. Once your hearing degrades there is no repairing it. There are no pills. There are no transplants.
There's also tinnitus... 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, year after year ( 10 years so far) ... a loud squealing in your ears. It will never go away.

Make fun, be flippant about hearing loss, but something to keep in mind. The number 1 and 2 problems the VA (Veterans Administration) deals with is hearing loss and tinnitus. The VA serves over 9 million vets.

Degrade or lose your hearing and your most repeated phrase will be: "what did you say?"
What I'm getting from this thread is while a fair percentage of us have gone to something louder than stock, nobody has talked about trying to be as loud as possible like going catless with muffler deletes, etc. Also, I doubt many are cozying up behind their car while their significant other revs the engine. I think it is highly doubtful the sound of a somewhat louder than stock exhaust from inside the car poses a danger of hearing loss.

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Sure, but after 48 years in front of bass rigs, the pipes are just too damn fun.
Sponsored