Senior S550 Owners Like Black Wheels?

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Any Mustang w/black (ebony, dark tarnish, whatever) wheels 'force' you to see the car 1st.
Virtually every performance car offered today has a base model/grocery getter version. The thing that tells them apart the quickest is the wheels. Plain wheels with skinny tires or optional wheels with beefy tires. Personally I want my car to look like the latter.
Sponsored

Stangluvr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special
I may only be 28 but when it comes to opinions/tastes, I’m definitely more in line with the boomer crowd. When I bought my ‘16 PP1, the first thing I did was swap out the stock wheels for something with a little more bling. With these dusty brembos, I have to clean these wheels more often but I’ll take the trade off

B2403DB0-D859-472C-BAF6-1C002CF94F5D.jpeg
I love those wheels! Perfect combination of black with bling.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
I love both, depends on my mood. Currently feeling silver (pun intended) looks better on my current whip.

IMGP2765.jpeg

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
"So you don't actually know what OA lines stands for. Just some random gibberish, that only the user thinks has meaning."
OA = "over all". Look it up ... it's an accepted & universal abbreviation. Don't get upset w/me for your inability to take 30 seconds to verify it on your own. Just calm down & take deep breath. I am not the enemy.

To the others on this site commenting about their wheel preferences ... I am no different than any of you in saying that it's my car & I can do what I damn well please!!! No argument at all. But that does not change the reality of what the human eye sees. When the wheels are dark, the immediate focal point will be the car. Conversely when the wheels are brighter (aluminum or especially chrome), the immediate focal point will be the wheels. And that is an optical fact. Now whether what the eye sees is drop dead gorgeous or butt ugly ... that's the brain's problem to deal with. :facepalm:

Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
1) "The thing that tells them apart the quickest is the wheels. /// 2) ... or optional wheels w/beefy tires. Personally I want my car to look like the latter."
1) See previous response about what the eye sees v. the brain's reaction (which is what your comment deals with).

2) Yes!!! 100% agreement!!! While the Level 2 wheels were (according to the media) the best looking wheels that Ford had ever put on a Mustang, it was (to your 2nd comment) the 10.5" (F) & 11" (R) rim width that really raised an eyebrow. Which is why I upgraded the rear tires to a 325/30x19 v. the OE 305/30x19. The S550 Mustang just begs for for wider rims & more rubber.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks. They’re American Muscle’s 50 Years style wheels. I definitely needed something with more bling than the PP1 wheels
Nothin wrong with the PP wheels unless you have the black ones. The Nickle (silver) version were a HUGE plus for the appearance of the S550.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
[...]

Besides, from a marketing standpoint, 5.0 has a better ring to it than 4.9 (which sounds like "almost there").

Norm
During the middle/early or early/middle 1950s Ernie McAfee drove a 4.9-liter car that won plenty of races before he ran it into a tree at Pebble Beach, ending his life and the car's utility. Of course it was a Ferrari, and in those days Ferrari was its own marketing charm.

Ferrari McAfee No 76.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When the wheels are dark, the immediate focal point will be the car. Conversely when the wheels are brighter (aluminum or especially chrome), the immediate focal point will be the wheels. And that is an optical fact.
Makes a lot of sense. Dark wheels - which are surrounded by dark colored tires - tend to fade into the dark background of the wheel well and even their styling loses some of its definition.

I'd never seen the letters 'OA' used as an acronym before, either (isn't 'OA' the nickname of a character on some current CBS TV show?). With today's over-use of acronyms it gets to be a PITA to chase down each and every new one you see.

Never mind that the general rule for acronym usage is that unless it's truly in popular use (like 'PITA' . . . or even 'CBS' and 'TV'), you define it the first time you use it.

Norm

Sponsored

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Black wheels tend to lose most of their definition, especially gloss black. I see a lot of cars with black wheels these days and most times I can't even tell if they are 5,6,7,8 or 10 spokes much less any detail on them. Could just be my age though....

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Methinks that 'TV' can still make it thru to the masses, but we could make a lot of $$$ betting on those who cannot identify 'CBS'. Most will probably say that 'CBS' is the main competitor of Walgreen's. :facepalm:
Straw man, and really more of a matter of poorish enunciation on the part of the speaker than a lack of understanding on the part of the listener. Maybe the average person doesn't know the exact words 'CBS' stands for, but he does know that it's in the TV broadcast business.

Norm

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
When I was a kid poor people like me, removed hubcaps and spray painted their standard rims black, emulating a race car. Poverty Pack 101.
-reminded each time I see black wheels today.
-or looks like 4 real wheels covered in brake dust.
- or four space saver rims.
B7819683-27E6-4521-B9B0-08DDFA6430D1.jpeg

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
F9D37C2C-6458-4201-B942-1BA084DE810C.png
holding yard awaiting pre-delivery in Australia. I made the dealer fit those wheels to someone’s Ruby
Sponsored