Sponsored

Senior S550 Owners Like Black Wheels?

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
I don't dislike black wheels at all, however I think they look better with a contrast of lighter colors. What I'm not fond of is matte black because for me they always appears (brake dust) dirty.
Matte does not look like they have brake dust
20191005_064726.jpg
Sponsored

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
Probably an age thing, but I'm not a fan of the all black wheel. With no contrast to the tire it looks like some cheap truck wheel to me. You need something that gives a contrast to the tire. Some black is fine, but with a chrome lip for the separation. I had black bullitts on my black 2006 Mustang and the silver lip was the only reason it worked for me.

KV Racing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP
I like them, and have liked black wheels for a long time, even before it was "cool". Black wheels on a Triple Yellow car look so much better than a bright shiny colored wheel ever could.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
I'm thinking about having a set of LMR SP2 wheels sandblasted and chrome plated ... or perhaps nickel plated.

Sponsored

teetoppz28

Walking on the dark side
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 400a PP1
I'm thinking about having a set of LMR SP2 wheels sandblasted and chrome plated ... or perhaps nickel plated.
Oh! I'd love to see how those turn out of you did that! I was thinking the same thing!

Tenbrooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryce
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Super Duty F-350 Dually
At first, I didn't like the black wheels, but they've grown on me a lot. To me, a lot has to do with the color of the car. My '19 GT is Ingot Silver Metalic and the PP1 black wheels look really nice. I fear putting an aluminum finish wheel against a silver color wouldn't do much to contrast the car's color but the black wheels certainly do. I'm OK with changing trends as I no longer run white-side-wall tires either.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
This is sort of funny, I read somewhere that for the first time they were not gonna include a silver chrome wheel with the new corvette. In the past it had come with silver or chrome wheels because the older crowd that bought them that was all they wanted. but now that younger people are buying corvettes the silver wheel isn't such a best seller any more. funny why is it older people want chrome and silver wheels ? Hell Im almost 50 and I hate, absolutely hate chrome and silver wheels. They are so tacky may as well put gold rims on and curb feelers. LOLOLOL OK just giving ya crap there "old guys" but really why do people over a certain age seem to like chrome and silver wheels ????
I agree it's because all the good wheels were chrome back in the day. Dark wheels meant they seriously needed cleaning. Funny you think they look tacky, especially silver wheels as opposed to chrome. I find silver wheels to be boring because that's all there was for so long, but I don't think they necessary look bad.

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Anyway, I have been looking for a nice set of chrome rims for my current GT that are similar to the Cragars, but they are few and far between. Especially in the 19" factory size that are on there. The closest thing I can find that looks good to me are the Shelby Super Snake rims in chrome. They come in 19" so that may be what I end up with. Is anyone else running these on a 15 GT premium without the PP ? I'd be interested in seeing some pics on a car.
These might fit the bill if you don't mind 18s or 20s. Not sure if they clear Brembos if you have them, though.

https://www.carid.com/foose-wheels/f105-legend-chrome-507512.html

Sponsored

motorjock205

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red, 2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I am 62, and I guess I am really old school...I would love to find a nice set of modern wheels that had at least a little bit of a lip to them...I am not a fan of everything being right out to the edge of the wheel...just doesn't look quite right to me...I have an 18 and my wife has a 16...I swapped out her grey wheels for some like mine...I keep leaning toward the Performance Pack wheels in gloss black and staggered fitment, but then again, I like wheels a little lighter in color too...decisions, decisions...If someone has a couple of sets of Performance Pack wheels that they would like to gift to me, let me know...LOL Trying to make ends meet and buying car parts is not a good combination...
2016 GT.jpg
2017 GT.jpg

samd1351

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I am 62, and I guess I am really old school...I would love to find a nice set of modern wheels that had at least a little bit of a lip to them...I am not a fan of everything being right out to the edge of the wheel...just doesn't look quite right to me...I have an 18 and my wife has a 16...I swapped out her grey wheels for some like mine...I keep leaning toward the Performance Pack wheels in gloss black and staggered fitment, but then again, I like wheels a little lighter in color too...decisions, decisions...If someone has a couple of sets of Performance Pack wheels that they would like to gift to me, let me know...LOL Trying to make ends meet and buying car parts is not a good combination...
2016 GT.jpg
2017 GT.jpg
I have the performance pack wheels in the nickel luster I hope to soon be swapping out for something new. If you get up to KC, they may be available soon.
20190310_190928.jpg

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
59 & holdin in Texas, and I had a chance to buy my GT 7 wheels in black but went with graphite instead. From the base wheels I saved 7 lbs per corner and my butt dyno did and can feel it. As you learn to be "One" with the pony, you will want lighter wheels, driveshaft,rotors ect. I have enjoyed sportcar driving for 45 plus years with no speeding tickets and only 1 drag racing charge when I was young w/ a 67 Camaro 2 speed powerglide. Coyote Red does it all for me.
IMG_20200212_121647_252.jpg