Senior S550 Owners Like Black Wheels?

motorjock205

Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red, 2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I am 62, and I guess I am really old school...I would love to find a nice set of modern wheels that had at least a little bit of a lip to them...I am not a fan of everything being right out to the edge of the wheel...just doesn't look quite right to me...I have an 18 and my wife has a 16...I swapped out her grey wheels for some like mine...I keep leaning toward the Performance Pack wheels in gloss black and staggered fitment, but then again, I like wheels a little lighter in color too...decisions, decisions...If someone has a couple of sets of Performance Pack wheels that they would like to gift to me, let me know...LOL Trying to make ends meet and buying car parts is not a good combination...
2016 GT.jpg
2017 GT.jpg

samd1351

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 1999 Ranger
I am 62, and I guess I am really old school...I would love to find a nice set of modern wheels that had at least a little bit of a lip to them...I am not a fan of everything being right out to the edge of the wheel...just doesn't look quite right to me...I have an 18 and my wife has a 16...I swapped out her grey wheels for some like mine...I keep leaning toward the Performance Pack wheels in gloss black and staggered fitment, but then again, I like wheels a little lighter in color too...decisions, decisions...If someone has a couple of sets of Performance Pack wheels that they would like to gift to me, let me know...LOL Trying to make ends meet and buying car parts is not a good combination...
2016 GT.jpg
2017 GT.jpg
I have the performance pack wheels in the nickel luster I hope to soon be swapping out for something new. If you get up to KC, they may be available soon.
20190310_190928.jpg

Coyote Red

Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
59 & holdin in Texas, and I had a chance to buy my GT 7 wheels in black but went with graphite instead. From the base wheels I saved 7 lbs per corner and my butt dyno did and can feel it. As you learn to be "One" with the pony, you will want lighter wheels, driveshaft,rotors ect. I have enjoyed sportcar driving for 45 plus years with no speeding tickets and only 1 drag racing charge when I was young w/ a 67 Camaro 2 speed powerglide. Coyote Red does it all for me.
IMG_20200212_121647_252.jpg

PVAMT

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so there is no separate senior folder yet (and maybe there will never be), but this question is targeted at 50 and up owners. Do you like black wheels? It's fairly obvious they are more popular with the younger crowd.

I did not like them at all when they first became prevalent, but they have grown on me somewhat on cars in certain colors. (Mean look with magnetic.) Even so, I would only consider gloss black because you know when they're clean. Also, mesh style or any intricate spoke pattern seems pointless since it's difficult to see except up close. Black PP1 wheels come to mind. In most cases a charcoal or graphite will show the spoke pattern much better while still giving a darker look.

What do you think of them? :)
I have the silver PP wheels on mine. I love the way they look. They are a pain to scrub brake dust off. If they offered a black PP wheel with the face machined and polished that would be awesome. I think the current blackout phase doesn’t lend much to the looks of the car. Motorcycles have also gone this route and some of them are drab and butt ugly although cheaper to manufacture and the stealer can sell you an “upgraded blackout package” for even more cost.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX, '01 20AE
I did not like them at all when they first became prevalent, but they have grown on me somewhat on cars in certain colors. (Mean look with magnetic.) Even so, I would only consider gloss black because you know when they're clean.
Since your post was quoted again . . .

If I ever got black wheels, it would have to be in some non-glossy tone. Specifically so that the wheels don't look dirty, or as dirty as they actually might be.

Detailing a car is among my least favorite things to do with my cars, and doing wheels is by far the least favorite part of that. Knees and lower back always manage to remind me when I temporarily try to forget.

Norm

BrettT

Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
As I posted earlier not a fan of all black, but i do like the Bullitt wheels, I think because of the silver/chrome'ish trip which breaks up the black of the wheel with the black of the tire.

DSC06562.JPG

OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Ford Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Since your post was quoted again . . .

If I ever got black wheels, it would have to be in some non-glossy tone. Specifically so that the wheels don't look dirty, or as dirty as they actually might be.

Detailing a car is among my least favorite things to do with my cars, and doing wheels is by far the least favorite part of that. Knees and lower back always manage to remind me when I temporarily try to forget.

Norm
I suspect I'll feel more and more like this as the years go by. :)

Bald Menace

Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I have an 18 PP and I hate the black wheels.

frank s

Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2019 Magnetic EcoBoost™ Convertible with MagneRide® suspension
Vehicle Showcase

GTthree50

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
As I posted earlier not a fan of all black, but i do like the Bullitt wheels, I think because of the silver/chrome'ish trip which breaks up the black of the wheel with the black of the tire.

DSC06562.JPG
Could not agree more. Getting rid of the all black wheels was a top priority for me. First saw all black wheels in the early 80’s, a few decades before they were a thing and have disliked it ever since.

m3incorp

Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I'm 58 and I have black wheels on the Vette and M4, Gray wheels on the WRX, Silver on the VW and here are the ones for the Mustang (Need for Green, think all that Green needs some contrast) that I haven't even picked up from the dealer yet. I picture says a thousand words. I tend to like what gives the car a better look.
Wheels 1.jpg
Wheels 3.jpg

213 - Auto Mafia Racing