PVAMT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Deep impact blue / silver stripes, red pinstripes
Vehicle Showcase
OK, so there is no separate senior folder yet (and maybe there will never be), but this question is targeted at 50 and up owners. Do you like black wheels? It's fairly obvious they are more popular with the younger crowd.

I did not like them at all when they first became prevalent, but they have grown on me somewhat on cars in certain colors. (Mean look with magnetic.) Even so, I would only consider gloss black because you know when they're clean. Also, mesh style or any intricate spoke pattern seems pointless since it's difficult to see except up close. Black PP1 wheels come to mind. In most cases a charcoal or graphite will show the spoke pattern much better while still giving a darker look.

What do you think of them? :)
I have the silver PP wheels on mine. I love the way they look. They are a pain to scrub brake dust off. If they offered a black PP wheel with the face machined and polished that would be awesome. I think the current blackout phase doesn’t lend much to the looks of the car. Motorcycles have also gone this route and some of them are drab and butt ugly although cheaper to manufacture and the stealer can sell you an “upgraded blackout package” for even more cost.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I did not like them at all when they first became prevalent, but they have grown on me somewhat on cars in certain colors. (Mean look with magnetic.) Even so, I would only consider gloss black because you know when they're clean.
Since your post was quoted again . . .

If I ever got black wheels, it would have to be in some non-glossy tone. Specifically so that the wheels don't look dirty, or as dirty as they actually might be.

Detailing a car is among my least favorite things to do with my cars, and doing wheels is by far the least favorite part of that. Knees and lower back always manage to remind me when I temporarily try to forget.

Norm

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
As I posted earlier not a fan of all black, but i do like the Bullitt wheels, I think because of the silver/chrome'ish trip which breaks up the black of the wheel with the black of the tire.

DSC06562.JPG

OP
OP
MidwayJ

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Since your post was quoted again . . .

If I ever got black wheels, it would have to be in some non-glossy tone. Specifically so that the wheels don't look dirty, or as dirty as they actually might be.

Detailing a car is among my least favorite things to do with my cars, and doing wheels is by far the least favorite part of that. Knees and lower back always manage to remind me when I temporarily try to forget.

Norm
I suspect I'll feel more and more like this as the years go by. :)

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
I have an 18 PP and I hate the black wheels.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
As I posted earlier not a fan of all black, but i do like the Bullitt wheels, I think because of the silver/chrome'ish trip which breaks up the black of the wheel with the black of the tire.

DSC06562.JPG
Could not agree more. Getting rid of the all black wheels was a top priority for me. First saw all black wheels in the early 80’s, a few decades before they were a thing and have disliked it ever since.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I'm 58 and I have black wheels on the Vette and M4, Gray wheels on the WRX, Silver on the VW and here are the ones for the Mustang (Need for Green, think all that Green needs some contrast) that I haven't even picked up from the dealer yet. I picture says a thousand words. I tend to like what gives the car a better look.
Wheels 1.jpg
Wheels 3.jpg

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
The older I get the more I like black wheels.
Just getting used to them is what probably takes the most time. Black wheels may be reminding some of us of the days when steel wheels were primarily black and really weren't anything special to look at (probably why hubcaps and wheel covers were invented).

I've become OK with dark grey, at least on the WRX. But I still like silver/aluminum better. Pictures taken at about the same time of day. m3incorp may find these pictures more useful than most.

WRX 3.jpg

WRX winter tires & wheels.JPG

Norm

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
I'm 58 and I have black wheels on the Vette and M4, Gray wheels on the WRX, Silver on the VW and here are the ones for the Mustang (Need for Green, think all that Green needs some contrast) that I haven't even picked up from the dealer yet. I picture says a thousand words. I tend to like what gives the car a better look.
Wheels 1.jpg
Wheels 3.jpg
i have them on my car your going to loove how they look specailly if your lowered a bit

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Your car is the one that made me decide to buy them :). I have the Steeda springs, and H-pipe in the garage waiting and will install as soon as I get it home. I fly out to Lebanon to pick it up this coming weekend. Thanks again for answering my questions.

i have them on my car your going to loove how they look specailly if your lowered a bit

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure you didn't sneak out to CO and take my WRX....just kidding, it's actually my son's car but he is trying to decide which wheels for the summer.

Just getting used to them is what probably takes the most time. Black wheels may be reminding some of us of the days when steel wheels were primarily black and really weren't anything special to look at (probably why hubcaps and wheel covers were invented).

I've become OK with dark grey, at least on the WRX. But I still like silver/aluminum better. Pictures taken at about the same time of day. m3incorp may find these pictures more useful than most.

WRX 3.jpg

WRX winter tires & wheels.JPG

Norm

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
I love that look.
Sponsored