How should I sell my car

• Total voters

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wanting to sell my GT. First offer out of the gate was pretty much what I expected: dealership was willing to give me clean trade-in value, not a dime more. Most of my mods (and I mean most) are not easily removed and I no longer have the stock parts. So I'm thinking most of it isn't worth even attempting to remove. Then there is stuff like the wheels that I would think they would sell quick; however, wheels are expensive to ship because of their size making anything but local sells tough. And then there are parts that I want to move over to my Mach 1 like my AP Racing rotors. Then again, if the right buyer came around, I'm willing to sell as is without removing a thing. What to do.

Comments welcome. What's worth it, what's not, who's buying what, and is it worth the trouble. For the record, yes I have raced her and she loved it. Everything works great, just wanting to get into a Mach 1 as it is a better fit for what I'm wanting to do next.

Specs, Mods, Photos
YEAR 2018
MAKE Ford
MODEL/TRIM Mustang GT
COLOR Lightning Blue
ENGINE 5.0/302
TRANSMISSION A10
PACKAGES Base

MODS - POWERTRAIN / DRIVETRAIN RacerX oil catch can, Fluidyne radiator, 3.73 PP differential
MODS - SOFTWARE / TUNE / PROGRAMMER Flex/E85R tuned
MODS - WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES MRR M600 19x10/19x11 with 295/35-19 and 305/35-19 MPSS, PP Brembo brakes, AP Racing J hook rotors, Spiegler brake lines
MODS - SUSPENSION / CHASSIS
  • Steeda: Dual Comp springs, Pro-Action adjustable shocks/struts, rear billet shock mount, front sway bar with front/rear adjustable endlinks, camber plates, Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System, Bumpsteer Kit, Lateral Link with extended ball joint and bearings, Tension links with bearings
  • BMR: TCA048H vertical links, CB010 Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit Level 1, BK081 rear lower control arm bearing kit, CB762 IRS Subframe Support Brace System
  • FPR: Knuckle To Toe Link Bearing Assembly, Strut Tower Brace kit, lower cross member, rear PP sway bar
MODS - EXTERIOR Other: Chinese knock off GT350R swing spoiler,
Sponsored

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
That last option describes my entire time here :crackup:

Personally, I'd flash to stock and pretend like it's never tasted corn. The suspension/chassis/handling mods are relatively "light" so to speak. People here have had good luck recently with the online sellers (Zoom, Carvana, etc). Hit up those threads for their experiences.
Makes me wonder what qualifies for moderate suspension mods in your book... :cwl:

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Carvana was a bust... $10k less than NADA. Tried another dealership, 30 minute evaluation and the guy is asking me why my suspension is noisy (its the Torsen because I have Steeda diff bushings). They low balled it which was surprising because their lot was basically empty (new and used). Figured they would be willing to negotiate.

Got someone going to call me tomorrow so we'll see. Bump for more votes.

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I had the same situation this time last year when I bought my 1LE.

My car was basically FBO // E85 with some suspension and cosmetics mods. I got it back to 99% stock and only left the lowering springs and some steeda bushings and Carvana didn't mind even tho I said it was stock.

I had the worst time selling my mods, in fact I only sold like half of it. So I would say pull the easy stuff and things that sell easily (CAI, tuner, exhaust etc). The other stuff is hard to sell in my experience so it's the just a hit of mods.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same situation this time last year when I bought my 1LE.

My car was basically FBO // E85 with some suspension and cosmetics mods. I got it back to 99% stock and only left the lowering springs and some steeda bushings and Carvana didn't mind even tho I said it was stock.

I had the worst time selling my mods, in fact I only sold like half of it. So I would say pull the easy stuff and things that sell easily (CAI, tuner, exhaust etc). The other stuff is hard to sell in my experience so it's the just a hit of mods.
Yeah that is where I think I'm at. Folks don't seem to like used parts even at reasonable discounts. Which is why I'm thinking if it will fit on the Mach 1 and it is easy to pull off, its coming with me. Otherwise it stays.

Reactions: GTP

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Yea it’s not like it’s a blown car. Like my 15 was. I took the easy stuff off my car like the wheels. I traded the car in with the winter beaters on it and snow tires. I took off the after market spoiler and put the stock one back on. And I left the supercharger just because I didn’t want to invest a weekend or $1000 bucks to have it removed professionally. People will nickel and dime you for everything you pull off anyway.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Now if I were to buy a used Mustang that was modified , I would want all the mods left on the car. I would let the owner take me up and down the street and out on the highway and I would listen for misfires and stumbling and evaluate the performance. If the car performed well I would listen to the sellers price and negotiate from there.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Now if I were to buy a used Mustang that was modified , I would want all the mods left on the car. I would let the owner take me up and down the street and out on the highway and I would listen for misfires and stumbling and evaluate the performance. If the car performed well I would listen to the sellers price and negotiate from there.
Me personally I have no issue with most of that. Last private sale I did was on one of my Corvettes. Made sure the guy knew the price and asked how he intended on making payment before we met. He test drove it with all my mods and had only one complaint. Told him if he bought it, it was his choice whether to remove it or not but told him to give it a chance first. He bought it as is but ended up removing it a week later. Was easy to remove, was a frame brace that hung a bit lower than the chassis (and I mean a bit). He didn't like that it scraped even though it had protection preventing damage. Considering how many times I scraped without it, I rather have something designed to take the scrape than a frame that wasn't.

The only issue I would have is "I would listen to the sellers price". I make it well known what the price is coming in and want to know how you will pay. I have never worked with a bank so if it was a loan, I'd have to call the bank to see how the transaction would work and then ask the buyer how much they were pre-approved before they came out (again my price is already established). If the pre-approval is short, I ask if they have cash to make up the difference. If it is cash, I ask if they have the full amount in cash and which bank we would go to transfer the money (obviously that is a lot easier these days). Way too many times people come in with no intent of paying the asking price. This filters out all the tire kickers and low ballers (and sometimes legit buyers). Though my thought process is if you are going to ask someone to be transparent with you, you should be ready to reciprocate.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
I learned long ago, to pass by mod'd cars because
1) they tend to have hard miles on them
2) the seller most times did not keep a folder with the instructions and paperwork that help the new owner when he/she needs a replacement part.
That is IF the factory performance over the counter or aftermarket parts can be had to replace when needed.
Good luck with the sale.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Did ya sell it yet?

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
Bone stock will most likely yield the quickest, highest sale IMO. Made it factory again and either reuse or sell the parts.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Hard miles may not be all that bad. If the car runs good and it has good vital signs , why be concerned. I have seen all stock cars that were not maintained well and were junk. I think people who go through the work of modifying their cars are more apt to be more knowledgeable about their car and will tend to maintain them well. A cream puff that is all stock may not have had the oil changed for years. If a Mustang has a supercharger on it and runs good , I would not be concerned about replacing some drive train parts in the future because of hard use.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Hard miles may not be all that bad. If the car runs good and it has good vital signs , why be concerned. I have seen all stock cars that were not maintained well and were junk. I think people who go through the work of modifying their cars are more apt to be more knowledgeable about their car and will tend to maintain them well. A cream puff that is all stock may not have had the oil changed for years. If a Mustang has a supercharger on it and runs good , I would not be concerned about replacing some drive train parts in the future because of hard use.
Have had more than a few mod'd up cars up on a lift and no one knowing what parts are on it, to get a replacement part.
Sadly many people that build/mod a car keep crappy records and it is a crap shoot of what they installed, if there isn't a brand name stamped on it, or part #.
The older the vehicle the harder this gets.
A car with records of service and a binder of the paperwork of the parts installed and part #, kit #, brand, etc great no problem. sadly this is not the norm.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Amen brother. I do see some folks point though, there are mod'ers who do it irresponsibly and expect others to pay for their mistakes. As far as hard miles, when stuff breaks I see it as an opportunity. Its like that saying in the movie Gladiator "Pain is just weakness leaving the body". Same with broken car parts.

Did ya sell it yet?
Got a decent offer. Waiting for a decision. I'm hoping to put a bow on this soon :)

s550blk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andii
Vehicle(s)
Anti-matter Blue Mustang
I'm wanting to sell my GT. First offer out of the gate was pretty much what I expected: dealership was willing to give me clean trade-in value, not a dime more. Most of my mods (and I mean most) are not easily removed and I no longer have the stock parts. So I'm thinking most of it isn't worth even attempting to remove. Then there is stuff like the wheels that I would think they would sell quick; however, wheels are expensive to ship because of their size making anything but local sells tough. And then there are parts that I want to move over to my Mach 1 like my AP Racing rotors. Then again, if the right buyer came around, I'm willing to sell as is without removing a thing. What to do.

Comments welcome. What's worth it, what's not, who's buying what, and is it worth the trouble. For the record, yes I have raced her and she loved it. Everything works great, just wanting to get into a Mach 1 as it is a better fit for what I'm wanting to do next.

Specs, Mods, Photos
YEAR 2018
MAKE Ford
MODEL/TRIM Mustang GT
COLOR Lightning Blue
ENGINE 5.0/302
TRANSMISSION A10
PACKAGES Base

MODS - POWERTRAIN / DRIVETRAIN RacerX oil catch can, Fluidyne radiator, 3.73 PP differential
MODS - SOFTWARE / TUNE / PROGRAMMER Flex/E85R tuned
MODS - WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES MRR M600 19x10/19x11 with 295/35-19 and 305/35-19 MPSS, PP Brembo brakes, AP Racing J hook rotors, Spiegler brake lines
MODS - SUSPENSION / CHASSIS
  • Steeda: Dual Comp springs, Pro-Action adjustable shocks/struts, rear billet shock mount, front sway bar with front/rear adjustable endlinks, camber plates, Adjustable Differential Bushing Insert System, Bumpsteer Kit, Lateral Link with extended ball joint and bearings, Tension links with bearings
  • BMR: TCA048H vertical links, CB010 Cradle Bushing Lockout Kit Level 1, BK081 rear lower control arm bearing kit, CB762 IRS Subframe Support Brace System
  • FPR: Knuckle To Toe Link Bearing Assembly, Strut Tower Brace kit, lower cross member, rear PP sway bar
MODS - EXTERIOR Other: Chinese knock off GT350R swing spoiler,
Go on cars and bids, best selling site especially for cars that are modded like yours. Dealerships or sites like carvana, carmax will give you $0 for your mods.
Sponsored