Sponsored

Selling GT350R for new Porsche 718 Spyder?

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Did you ever make a decision on this? You got me thinking about selling my GT350 and picking up a GT4.
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Did you ever make a decision on this? You got me thinking about selling my GT350 and picking up a GT4.
Uhhhhhhhhhhh..... see page 8 of this thread.
Answer - YES (I won't spoil the surprise by telling you)

OP
OP
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
Yes, I took the plunge and bought the Porsche. For anyone interested in my opinion between the two, here goes:

In typical Porsche fashion, both the exterior and interior fit and finish, paintwork etc. are exemplary. To quote Matt Farrah, there is a specific ā€œslicknessā€ to the Porsche aesthetic which Iā€™ve loved since I was a young boy. Automotive journalists are beginning to criticize the interior for beginning to look slightly dated but I personally love the interior quality, ergonomics and solid, vault-like feel. Panel fitment / alignment is remarkable. You typically wonā€™t hear any squeaks or rattles in these cars no matter how hard theyā€™ve been driven unlike the new spectacular new 911 which is plagued with all kinds of interior noises which are ā€œteething issuesā€ at the moment. My GT350 interior did have some minor rattles that I ignored and even though most journalists condemned the interior as being cheap and pedestrian, I disagree. I thought the retro interior was very befitting and a great place to spend time- especially in the R trim.

Comparing engines, the 4.0 flat six in the Spyder is similar to the Voodoo in that it makes serious power past 4500 rpms. 416 hp is a lot of power in a car weighing between 3150 and 3200 pounds. Porsche is also known for sandbagging their hp ratings. No six cylinder can come close to the sound of the Voodoo engine but it has a very satisfying banshee like ā€œhowlā€ mixed with pure mechanical engine and induction noises. You have to drive one to understand or appreciate it. In addition, the sensation of a mid-engine car ā€œpushingā€ you from behind is pretty damn cool. Yes, she feels a little bit faster than the Shelby overall
and like the Shelby, it also has tall gearing so winding it out means jail time in as little as second gear If one isnā€™t careful. The gearbox is very satisfying and precise and has short throws. I find that it feels more delicate than the Tremec and less forgiving if one isnā€™t careful. In other words, I donā€™t think it can handle anywhere near the abuse of the Tremec. The Tremec is clearly the best manual gearbox in the business. Again, like the Shelby, while fast 0-60, it isnā€™t a drag car. It has long legs and incredible midrange and top end grunt. It shines best at hunting down other cars at triple digit speeds. I plan on ditching the Euro 6 compliant ā€œcorkedā€up, ā€œheavy as a tankā€ exhaust and replacing it with a much lighter (25-30 pounds) race exhaust system good for roughly 25-35 more hp. Should be very interesting.

The suspension is where this car really shines and I will say that there is nothing and I mean nothing except a Lotus Evora GT on the road less than $200k that comes close to this cars ā€œtelepathicā€ steering and handling- and braking. The faster you drive this thing, the more planted it becomes. Itā€™s absolutely insane. The car is considerably smaller and much lighter (500 plus lbs) than the mustang and it absolutely shrinks around you like a well tailored suit as you get down to business and really push it hard. Iā€™ve constantly raved about the GT350Rā€™s handling, especially for a larger, heavier car-it also feels superbly glued to the road no matter what set of twisties it encounters but this Porsche with the GT3 suspension components raises the bar a few more inches- with ease. If the ass end does step out, it takes minimal effort to ā€œsnap backā€ into line and continue on.

Finally, in the looks department, like my first generation Spyder, It draws a ton of attention- with the top up or down, it doesnā€™t matter. Someone in an earlier comment stated that the decision comes down to which car suits me best. To be completely honest here, my personality can identify with both cars. Yes, the Porsche is the car to have if (besides performance) you want people to perceive that youā€™re very successful. I donā€™t personally give a damn about the image, I love the overall design and attention to detail of the Porsche. The Shelby is a stunning vehicle as well- especially if you understand the engineering behind the sheetmetal and aero differences plus carbon bits but it didnā€™t stand out to most people (again, I didnā€™t care), looking like a heavily modded GT to most but ironically, Porsche drivers, especially the 911 GT3/2RS crowd gave me frequent thumbs up- a clear sign of a puristā€™s respect for the GT350 and rightfully so...

To wrap up, I predict that I will have days where Iā€™m glad I bought the Spyder and days I miss the R. They are such different animals that have a very similar purpose- To win. For the money, Iā€™ll say it again. Nothing comes close to the GT350.

I absolutely love my new Porsche and from an exclusivity perspective I do admit that I feel more special driving it vs. the Shelby but I canā€™t say itā€™s as fun to drive as the Shelby. On a 1-10 ā€œfunā€ meter the Shelby was a 12 and the Porsche is a 10 or 11 primarily because the Porsche handles speed so damn well, you have to push it past roughly the 130 mph mark to get the same level of excitement as the Shelby at about 90mph...

To be continued...

Last edited:

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
That was a very good, honest write up. Thanks for taking the time to write it. I can relate to everything you said. I think the bottom line is the old adage: So many cars, so little ______ (time/money/garage space). šŸ˜

503rwhp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mustang LX Convertible, 2017 Porsche 911S
As a Porsche and Mustang owner the review resonated with me. The fit and finish of my 2017 911S cab is impeccable. I agree on all of the exterior and interior excellence and love the new 718 with the 4L H6 but it desperately needs different gearing as a street car IMO.
Iā€™m still on the hunt for the right GT500 to add to the garage as well, mostly for the fact it makes me smile, which is the whole point.

Sponsored

MNGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 base comp orange
Nice review. I like the mechanical analog nature of the soft top on your car as well. Reminds me of messing with my old wrangler.

Makes sense at the price point the higher level of quality. Love my GT350, but it is a Ford. That's part of the charm, having so much performance and fun in a "working man's" brand. Quality is quality though, and to see the execution of engineering and build quality in a Porsche must be rewarding.

I think your "fun rating" is key. Speed limits and traffic and crappy roads mean most driving enjoyment comes from the intangibles as we can't really push the cars anywhere near their limits. Exhaust note, steering feel, clutch/shifter action, looks, history, emotional connection are what we experience day to day. Figuring that out, choosing what you connect with, that's the key to finding a car to enjoy for years. Lap times and quibbles about how a car acts "at the limit" are, for the most part, meaningless for a car you plan to drive on regular roads.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Having both... I can appreciate the input my friend, thanks for the feedback!
Enjoyed the write up!

Stevbas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT 350.
Yes, I took the plunge and bought the Porsche. For anyone interested in my opinion between the two, here goes:

In typical Porsche fashion, both the exterior and interior fit and finish, paintwork etc. are exemplary. To quote Matt Farrah, there is a specific ā€œslicknessā€ to the Porsche aesthetic which Iā€™ve loved since I was a young boy. Automotive journalists are beginning to criticize the interior for beginning to look slightly dated but I personally love the interior quality, ergonomics and solid, vault-like feel. Panel fitment / alignment is remarkable. You typically wonā€™t hear any squeaks or rattles in these cars no matter how hard theyā€™ve been driven unlike the new spectacular new 911 which is plagued with all kinds of interior noises which are ā€œteething issuesā€ at the moment. My GT350 interior did have some minor rattles that I ignored and even though most journalists condemned the interior as being cheap and pedestrian, I disagree. I thought the retro interior was very befitting and a great place to spend time- especially in the R trim.

Comparing engines, the 4.0 flat six in the Spyder is similar to the Voodoo in that it makes serious power past 4500 rpms. 416 hp is a lot of power in a car weighing between 3150 and 3200 pounds. Porsche is also known for sandbagging their hp ratings. No six cylinder can come close to the sound of the Voodoo engine but it has a very satisfying banshee like ā€œhowlā€ mixed with pure mechanical engine and induction noises. You have to drive one to understand or appreciate it. In addition, the sensation of a mid-engine car ā€œpushingā€ you from behind is pretty damn cool. Yes, she feels a little bit faster than the Shelby overall
and like the Shelby, it also has tall gearing so winding it out means jail time in as little as second gear If one isnā€™t careful. The gearbox is very satisfying and precise and has short throws. I find that it feels more delicate than the Tremec and less forgiving if one isnā€™t careful. In other words, I donā€™t think it can handle anywhere near the abuse of the Tremec. The Tremec is clearly the best manual gearbox in the business. Again, like the Shelby, while fast 0-60, it isnā€™t a drag car. It has long legs and incredible midrange and top end grunt. It shines best at hunting down other cars at triple digit speeds. I plan on ditching the Euro 6 compliant ā€œcorkedā€up, ā€œheavy as a tankā€ exhaust and replacing it with a much lighter (25-30 pounds) race exhaust system good for roughly 25-35 more hp. Should be very interesting.

The suspension is where this car really shines and I will say that there is nothing and I mean nothing except a Lotus Evora GT on the road less than $200k that comes close to this cars ā€œtelepathicā€ steering and handling- and braking. The faster you drive this thing, the more planted it becomes. Itā€™s absolutely insane. The car is considerably smaller and much lighter (500 plus lbs) than the mustang and it absolutely shrinks around you like a well tailored suit as you get down to business and really push it hard. Iā€™ve constantly raved about the GT350Rā€™s handling, especially for a larger, heavier car-it also feels superbly glued to the road no matter what set of twisties it encounters but this Porsche with the GT3 suspension components raises the bar a few more inches- with ease. If the ass end does step out, it takes minimal effort to ā€œsnap backā€ into line and continue on.

Finally, in the looks department, like my first generation Spyder, It draws a ton of attention- with the top up or down, it doesnā€™t matter. Someone in an earlier comment stated that the decision comes down to which car suits me best. To be completely honest here, my personality can identify with both cars. Yes, the Porsche is the car to have if (besides performance) you want people to perceive that youā€™re very successful. I donā€™t personally give a damn about the image, I love the overall design and attention to detail of the Porsche. The Shelby is a stunning vehicle as well- especially if you understand the engineering behind the sheetmetal and aero differences plus carbon bits but it didnā€™t stand out to most people (again, I didnā€™t care), looking like a heavily modded GT to most but ironically, Porsche drivers, especially the 911 GT3/2RS crowd gave me frequent thumbs up- a clear sign of a puristā€™s respect for the GT350 and rightfully so...

To wrap up, I predict that I will have days where Iā€™m glad I bought the Spyder and days I miss the R. They are such different animals that have a very similar purpose- To win. For the money, Iā€™ll say it again. Nothing comes close to the GT350.

I absolutely love my new Porsche and from an exclusivity perspective I do admit that I feel more special driving it vs. the Shelby but I canā€™t say itā€™s as fun to drive as the Shelby. On a 1-10 ā€œfunā€ meter the Shelby was a 12 and the Porsche is a 10 or 11 primarily because the Porsche handles speed so damn well, you have to push it past roughly the 130 mph mark to get the same level of excitement as the Shelby at about 90mph...

To be continued...
What a great right up here!! Love all of the great posts and feedback.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
Great write up. Car looks good. Saw you on Hwy9 South today at Francis about noon. Enjoy!

Sponsored

jMB350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2020 GT500 CFTP, 2020 Lincoln Aviator

To be continued...
Just received update my Spyder is due in Early March. I would like to keep in contact with you in regards to the exhaust change over.

OP
OP
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Great write up. Car looks good. Saw you on Hwy9 South today at Francis about noon. Enjoy!
Thank you! Honk next time, Iā€™ll assume youā€™re from the forum. One can never have too many enthusiast/ gearhead friends. Happy New Year!

OP
OP
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Just received update my Spyder is due in Early March. I would like to keep in contact with you in regards to the exhaust change over.
Awesome! What color combo? Transmission? Iā€™m going with all Fabspeed components- race exhaust, over axle pipes (GPF delete) and possibly the race headers. Should be good for roughly 40+ hp with everything installed- even more once a good tune hits the market. Thatā€™s pretty damn significant!

jMB350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2020 GT500 CFTP, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Awesome! What color combo? Transmission? Iā€™m going with all Fabspeed components- race exhaust, over axle pipes (GPF delete) and possibly the race headers. Should be good for roughly 40+ hp with everything installed- even more once a good tune hits the market. Thatā€™s pretty damn significant!
Black with Black top yellow accent with manual transmission. I am excited. Test drove one this fall and had to have one..