Sponsored

Selling GT350R for new Porsche 718 Spyder?

Meateater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Two cents more of useless opinion..... Your GT350R is a more unique car than the Porsche I think. Not better or worse, different. But... you have to drive it. The beauty of the machine is in what you do with it. If you drive the GT350R and love it, keep it.... and drive it! If at some point you can recoup your $$$ its a bonus, but the drive becomes the reward, for me anyway. Put that beast on the track. You will love it, and the rest won't matter. At least while you are testing your level of fear! Because unless you are a professional driver, the car has more than you can take out of it. Have fun either way. Deciding between a GT350R and a Porsche 718 ain't the worst problem to have! ;)
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I was able to meet @CoolHandLuke in person last week by pure coincidence, great guy; I suggested he drive the heck out of it for a year, then decide. It will still have resale, and the miles will not be that high. As previously posted, I already have racked up 20,000+ in just 16 months... and I don't plan on slowing down.

He does have LR001 and that is his concern.

The other option if he decides not to drive it is to bolt handles on the sides so pallbearers can carry it once they bury him in his unused Shelby.

Alright @CoolHandLuke... remember that "unused girlfriend" analogy we discussed...!!!

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Long before the internet. Article was wrote in a news paper bout the last verbally spoken words dying people tend to say.

2 vastly diff types of dying.
Slow & immediate.
Ex;
Slow death = cancer
Immediate death = plane crash
(cockpit recorders & other devices hav caught these "last words in sudden death").

Forget bout the actual article I speak of. As it is so old & without a "link" to it. Nobody today (not anyone born after 1990) gives a chit if U cant find it online.

Do you think anyone's last words are something like;

"I wish I had driven my expensive sports car much less miles than I actually did?"...
..." before I sold it as well" ???

Unless ur nukkin phutts? Im putting my money on NO!

Once U answer that ?? for real. U likely do not hav much grasp of how valuable a gift, being on the top side of the dirt is..

& ur lungs taking in ~21% O2 each day..
is such a gift all its own. That said.

Putting objects.. expensive or not.
Including the cars WE ALL LOVE,
on pedestals... Is @ times somewhat ridiculous.

Only someone young, and that has never seen what death really looks like..., in its many forms of its moment..

inside the eyes of someone U give a chit about, could U then possibly place a car so high up..

That it exceeds the feelings or words the dying individual might speak out loud,
once they know death is upon them in a way they grasp as... "too soon" to be ok with.
Isnt that almost always?

We hav got to stop turning things that move-roll-roar-& corner into these metaphorical stacks of gold bullion that should be treated as such.

If its gold brick. Yes. By all means.. Store that chit. What else U gonna do with it??

If it's a '48 Pan Head. Ride that Bone Shaker till U cant hurt from the pain any longer..

& when its a Flipping Mustang w/any V8 in it.

Either drive that turd boiler like It was built to be driven..
or sell that hunk a chit.

But dont buy something built by an American car manufacturer..
To give 'You' something ( after purchase) only most European/Asian cars can deliver.

& then Wuss out.. over driving it & risking knicking the wheels. Ppe the damb things.

I guess U all here are to young to hav seen a org Boss 302 or Boss 429, pull into a gas station.. and get fuel.. like every other car on planet earth. Then start it up, & drive off.

Yeah. If U knew what it wasn U were a bit in Awe. But u never said bk in the day..
"If I owned that Boss, id never drive it."

If ur the same guy who cried about the cost of fuel & tires on the GT500? & sold it.. ??
Hopefully not...

Please sell that thing so someone can actually enjoy it. If your not gonna be that guy.
Thank God U dont deserve to win the
'2020 Double Duesch' award..
if ur not 1 who sold the gt500 & now a 350r.

I dont blame U for coveting a beautiful car. But if #001 was so important to own to start with? Why for Pete's Sake was it so important.
Try'n to turn what people live to own 1 day.. into a profit center.??

95% of the guys who dont own 1 here, wont ever own that car.

Not even cuz many cant afford it.
But maybe their kids college fund,
or wifes kidney transplant,
was just more important to them than a GT350r.
I could've bought 1. Great car w/1 design flaw.. a flaw I learned long ago was a headache to me.
Still an awesome car. Beautiful car. Magnificent..

But dont come around askin to be talked out of owning, what bunch of these guys dream of owning.
Although.. Its not likely ur fault. To feel like you do.

Its that U likely havnt seen enuff travesty to realize you wont say late in life,
how glad U were U never hav knicked up those wheels on a car U havnt owned in decades.. & so glad U sold it while it brought top dollar.

Any idea how many guys would trade EVERY DOLLAR they hav.. for 1 last.. pain free day of living?
Including the dollars they saved by selling sports cars they owned... & SOLD..
before they got a scratch on whls...!! ??

Im sure this will fall on deaf ears. Largely because most cannot relate to the value of life vs the value of a damb car.

U bought it to bring u some joy. Well. If selling it brings you the most joy.

Send it dwn the road. If ur worries are eng related.

Just deal w/it. We had to deal w/every hi hp eng having its diwn falls thru out history.
I shouldn't hav to name them all..

Just call pit to Sonny's & tell Jim U need a billet crank made for a 5.2L thats a 90°,
& NOT A 180°.
Call Carillo or Pankel & get urself some real rods.
Diamond/Wiseco will gladly do pistons..
& even w/hard anodized coating.
Billet even.
A set a good valve springs,
& now Ur a 9000 rpm redline mill,
that will go 30k miles, runnin it like a hound dog during Coon hunting season.

U dont hav to be dying 1 day...
saying put loud or quietlyn how glad U were U only put only 1600 miles on your dream car, before you sold it.
Run that thing like Ford intended...
or why even buy it? Someone said. Uy a warranty. Ok. Sure..

Unless its just all about attention U got w/ulit & u cant milk it anymore to ur liking..

& U feel U hav sucked the marrow out of the
(look at me w/this rare car & #1 production tag)
bones of its ownership, @ 1600 miles??
(Umm.. noo.)
Then as said earlier and now again. Sell it.

Let the next guy in 40 yrs, worry bout the restoration on it. Just like every damb Boss 429 car that had to be resurrected from 50 yrs ago.

U should already know why most all those 50 yr old muscle cars had to get redone?
Maybe.. just maybe.. Cause the owners used the things till they shelled themselves.

Built um yet again after a blow up.
& gave it another go. Often w/no warranty.

Heres what U wanna hear.
"Go buy the Spyder".
& Once nobody will faun over the Spyder any longer. Get on a Porsche message board, & ask um to talk U out of selling it cause its of its-- ( fill in blank).

To all U guys who dream of owning 1 of these cars, which can be an impractical daily driver..
( no argument there. 1 reason I didn't buy 1. Not my idea of a daily.. got to many cars that sit to much already.. problem is.. nobody else wants um..)

I hope you guys who dont own a R find a way to own 1 in ur lifetime. Even if U buy 1 -- 20/30 yrs from now..

Hopefully it will only hav ~5000 miles on it, as all other owners were just saving the best days of that machine.. for you.

Hey. U never now what the future will bring. Someone reading this today will say to themselves .. "I will never own a GT350R in my life."
& Id never bet against that at least 1 of U saying those words will being wrong!!
On that statement of ownership, before you take your own dirt nap.

Leave car collecting to the Leno's & Pratt's.
Do something they will NEVER do.

Drive every car U own, like U wish U had.
& do it legally! Or on a track.
Or sell it now,
so the next guy can live a dream.

Phuck dis posting crap..
Im going to take my car for a drive right now.
Tomorrow may not come for me..
& I dont want my last words to include
"I wish Id drove my car 1 less time after wrkin my azz off to buy it"
I like it! Nicely said!

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Personally, I'd LOVE to have this 001 car, it's really cool!!!! But..... as others said....to the point of not even driving it regular? Or expecting a lot more money for it? Fun for "cars and coffee" bragging but only speaking for myself I'd feel really awkward telling people to please notice that I have a more special car since I have a interesting rando number plate (#001, #350, whatever) yet the car itself has no actual differences than the next one and wasn't benchmarked for some special reason like an exhibition car. Who has the 001 KIA Stinger? With my car, half the people I meet have no idea if I have just a normal Mustang with stripes or what, which is fine. But...for what it's worth....EVERYONE knows if you have a Porsche and what that is. I had a Boxster S and it was great. And I got far more comments at the gas pump about my Porsche then I ever did about my Shelby. Don't get me wrong, I love your car and you already know I would LOVE to have your car, but the idea it's worth double or triple, I dunno. If it was 001 for Dan Gurney and had a stock turbo set up,, well then sure. But hey....it only takes that ONE single person, or dealer, that buys into it and you score. Personally, how about a 2015 R, PP001? On that, I'd bite!!! Otherwise, I'd go CFTP 500 or something if the same car but with a neato number (0526 anyone?) was going to make the car really, really expensive. But...again.....really cool sir!!!!

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Personally, I'd LOVE to have this 001 car, it's really cool!!!! But..... as others said....to the point of not even driving it regular? Or expecting a lot more money for it? Fun for "cars and coffee" bragging but only speaking for myself I'd feel really awkward telling people to please notice that I have a more special car since I have a interesting rando number plate (#001, #350, whatever) yet the car itself has no actual differences than the next one and wasn't benchmarked for some special reason like an exhibition car. Who has the 001 KIA Stinger? With my car, half the people I meet have no idea if I have just a normal Mustang with stripes or what, which is fine. But...for what it's worth....EVERYONE knows if you have a Porsche and what that is. I had a Boxster S and it was great. And I got far more comments at the gas pump about my Porsche then I ever did about my Shelby. Don't get me wrong, I love your car and you already know I would LOVE to have your car, but the idea it's worth double or triple, I dunno. If it was 001 for Dan Gurney and had a stock turbo set up,, well then sure. But hey....it only takes that ONE single person, or dealer, that buys into it and you score. Personally, how about a 2015 R, PP001? On that, I'd bite!!! Otherwise, I'd go CFTP 500 or something if the same car but with a neato number (0526 anyone?) was going to make the car really, really expensive. But...again.....really cool sir!!!!
Just my opinion but I always found it a bit ridiculous that people pay top money for the first model of certain cars. To me it doesn't have any special meaning unless it is distinct from the others, like if it has special badging or something (other than a plate saying #1).

Sponsored

Rose City R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie R code, 2020 GT350R, 1991 Mazda Miata SE
Allow me to interject my opinion.

I have had several years of autocross experience in the 981 GT4, the 981 Spyder and also the 991.1/991.2 911 GT3. They are all magnificent and rewarding cars to drive. I have yet to drive the 718 GT4/Spyder, but that should come sometime next year. Knowing how Porsche is able to engineer significant gains in performance with each generation, the 718 will be incredible.

The way a mid-engine car rotates is magic. The low polar moment of inertia makes it feel like it is pivoting around you. You just don't get that feeling in a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive platform, good as the GT350 is. I know the 911 is a rear-engine platform, but Porsche has been quietly inching the engine towards the middle with each new chassis, so it's getting pretty darn close to a mid-engine.

I would get the 718 Spyder. It's the first Spyder that is also a GT car. Reading the reviews, this may be the Boxster that finally outdoes the 911.

Yet, I love my 350R. It has swagger and attitude. It delivers when you turn the wheel. I think it is in no way inferior to any GT Porsche. It doesn't feel like any of the Porsches I mentioned, but it never tries to. I think the 350R feels most like the AMG GTR. The GTR feels like a musclecar on 'roids that knows how to dance.

I think you are in a quandary. The LR0001 makes it special. Can you keep it AND get the Spyder?

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
Rose City R mentioned some of the main differences between the 911/Cayman/Boxster platform versus GT350R in my opinion as well. I owned and tracked a 997 Turbo for 9 years, and first for me was seating position and overall feel of the car. The GT350R has extra 10 inches of wheelbase, and 15 inches longer overall length, and you also sit much higher. But then, that makes for a much better dual purpose car (track, daily driver). Long wheelbase car also more forgiving at the track when driven at/over the limit. Also, you get more induction noise in a mid or rear engine car, which adds to driving experience. I definitely miss that (and the turbo spool) from my 911 Turbo :(

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Just my opinion but I always found it a bit ridiculous that people pay top money for the first model of certain cars. To me it doesn't have any special meaning unless it is distinct from the others, like if it has special badging or something (other than a plate saying #1).
I agree, in this case, when I mentioned "PP", that was the internal pre-production car not to leave Ford. If there was a PP 001 350R in the first limited partial year, I'd see that getting a lot

Sponsored

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3