Sponsored

Selling GT350R for new Porsche 718 Spyder?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I didn't read all of the posts so hopefully this isn't too redundant. To the OP: You didn't say exactly what your purpose was for owning a car, but you didn't complain about interior or fit and finish. Your main complaints seemed to be money related (possibility of non-warranty failure).

I typically buy a car to have fun driving it. From your posts I think that is a significant factor for you as well. I think the GT350R is going to be more fun on the street than a 718 (unless convertible is important and then I would prefer a GT convertible).

If you were tracking and getting to the limits of the 718 I think more of an argument could be made for the Porsche. On the street the Porsche is going to be too hooked up to be thrilling unless you feel comfortable flaunting the law. And in my opinion that will be unsafe in a convertible.

If you want to save or avoid losing money (reliability concerns) buying a Porsche is not the answer in my opinion. The Porsche costs a LOT more than a Mustang. And if something breaks on a Porsche it will be more expensive to repair than a Mustang as well. Something cheap and used like a 2011 Mustang GT will save lots of money. Or when you reach the end of your warranty period buy something else. Or just buy some flavor of Mustang GT. They are a lot of fun, and if you aren't going to the track - street driving will be quite thrilling in a Mustang GT. You could wait until the Mach 1 is in dealerships and do a trade. I think that would be a much better way to go based on what you've said vs. a 718 spider.
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
ok i'll bite. how did you guys meet by pure coincidence? wanna hear this story...
I traveled to a facility that is vehicle related to download an EDR and inspect the vehicle. I usually take my truck, but I was called last minute and I had drove the Shelby to work that day. I loaded up my equipment (Oh so carefully) into the trunk and headed out.

I arrived and drove the Shelby into their facility. The employees are all car folks, so the GT350 drew plenty of attention. Within 10 minutes, there was a half dozen people looking at my car and taking pictures.

People were asking all types of questions, except for one guy who was just quietly checking out the car. He finally speaks up during a lull in the barrage of questions, and holds his phone up, shows me an overall shot of a white GT350R and says: "Here's mine... guess what chassis number I have?" Given the question he posed, I said "Uh... One"? He swipes to the next photo, and shows the chassis plaque "LR001".I asked him if he was on MG6, and he replied yes, I'm Coolhandluke.

We spoke for quite some time after I finished my work. I fully understand his quandary when you here it from his perspective.

We finished our conversation in the parking lot when I left his facility, so I intentionally gave him an ear-full of Voodoo exhaust symphony in order to maybe get him to want to keep and drive LR001.

Great guy & enjoyed the conversation...!!!!

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
That was quick! Was the car traded in to a dealer?
Based on the vin, sounds like it's Oxford White
That was quick! Was the car traded in to a dealer?
So I had this guy confused with ANOTHER 001.

Member Sdsaathoff has the 001 of a 2020 R Heritage Edition

While having any R is so cool, and that number is cool, I thought this LR001 (guy getting a Porsche) was actually a different guy with a LR001, who I talked to in the past (Heritage Edition R) . Personally, when I realized this post was not this Heritage R, well....... there is another reason to let it go, and get the Porsche. I'd have to say the final year, an R, and a Heritage is the Ace of Spades card between the 2 vehicles. To each to their own, but I would not pay over sticker on this oxford white R, but I just might on the Heritage.... but that's just me. And you can see the Heritage one has the carbon dash too!

001 heritiage.jpg

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Based on the vin, sounds like it's Oxford White

So I had this guy confused with ANOTHER 001.

Member Sdsaathoff has the 001 of a 2020 R Heritage Edition

While having any R is so cool, and that number is cool, I thought this LR001 (guy getting a Porsche) was actually a different guy with a LR001, who I talked to in the past (Heritage Edition R) . Personally, when I realized this post was not this Heritage R, well....... there is another reason to let it go, and get the Porsche. I'd have to say the final year, an R, and a Heritage is the Ace of Spades card between the 2 vehicles. To each to their own, but I would not pay over sticker on this oxford white R, but I just might on the Heritage.... but that's just me. And you can see the Heritage one has the carbon dash too!

001 heritiage.jpg
Cool car - still debatable as to if the HEP LR001 is more or less interesting. Not to turn this into a HEP thread but....when companies go with a "special" configuration car, they usually go one of two ways - make it actually very limited or market the hell out of it and make a bunch of them. What Ford did is create the most common car in both 350 and 350R variants for the 2020 MY. In the entire model run of 350s, maybe these start to represent a minority but these will be the easiest to find cars as time goes on. To me, that negates any negligible value difference from being 001.

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
The 718 Spyder has double wishbone front suspension vs macpherson strut. One is a Flat 6 the other is a V8. Both really good cars to be had, you can't go wrong with either one, but folks tend to like the porsche more. For me its no different both are great.

Sponsored

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Stang55 - the Porsche Caymans and Boxsters all use MacPherson struts, not double wishbones like a Lotus Evora for instance.

Porsche brings a six-cylinder back to the Cayman and Spyder | Hagerty Media
Yes but he's not talking about an ordinary cayman or boxster, he's talking about the 718 Spyder. That one has a double wishbone just like the Cayman GT4 whereas in the past only the GT3 would get this kind of suspension now the smaller models are getting it too in top tier trims.

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005
Sadly the Porsche engine is more reliable, I'd go with the Porsche.

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Sadly the Porsche engine is more reliable, I'd go with the Porsche.
Thats all I see on the track is porsche, what gives? They must be doing something right. The customer base is strong because its so many people's choice on the track. They show up 3-5 cars at a time, something tells me the dealers here got their customers really well.

Sponsored

GT30fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 4x4, 2019 GT350 , work trucks
Cool car - still debatable as to if the HEP LR001 is more or less interesting. Not to turn this into a HEP thread but....when companies go with a "special" configuration car, they usually go one of two ways - make it actually very limited or market the hell out of it and make a bunch of them. What Ford did is create the most common car in both 350 and 350R variants for the 2020 MY. In the entire model run of 350s, maybe these start to represent a minority but these will be the easiest to
Thats all I see on the track is porsche, what gives? They must be doing something right. The customer base is strong because its so many people's choice on the track. They show up 3-5 cars at a time, something tells me the dealers here got their customers really well.
They are great in many ways including being ridiculously enjoyable. I miss mine and its not near the level of Porsche this guy is considering. My old one may not of came in first but it was a riot. Go cart rocket

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Re-read the article I sent earlier. Porsche doesnt use double wishbones on the front suspensions of the GT3, GT4, or Spyder. Here is a nice walkaround of the 991 GT3 and the GT4/Spyder uses similar.

https://www.elephantracing.com/tech-topics/2014-991-gt3-suspension-overview/
I informed myself watching this amazing video from Porsche Club of America

Here is where it is said:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/porsche/718-spyder/

"Think of it more as a Cayman GT4 without a roof. Obviously it’s strongly related to the Boxster, but like the GT4 it sits lower. The two cars weigh the same and have the same 911 GT3-inspired double-wishbone suspension and 20-inch wheels."

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
The 718 Spyder is pretty nasty.
PLUS,......it's a Porsche, so you can't go wrong. :like:

One of my dream cars is a Porsche GT3. Would love to have someday, but even a slightly used one is outta my pay grade.

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
The 718 Spyder is pretty nasty.
PLUS,......it's a Porsche, so you can't go wrong. :like:

One of my dream cars is a Porsche GT3. Would love to have someday, but even a slightly used one is outta my pay grade.
You can imagine how nervous I am sharing the same track as them. Really tip toeing around the circuit haha

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
You can imagine how nervous I am sharing the same track as them. Really tip toeing around the circuit haha
LOL
I bet.
I don't track or take my cars to the strip, just use them as awesome sunny day cruisers.
The GT3 is a nasty machine. Killer looks, killer performance. What a machine.
Sponsored