Sponsored

Selling GT350R for new Porsche 718 Spyder?

corrieb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HEP, 2021 Alpine A110
@CoolHandLuke Unrelated, but I'd love to get LR001 on the 2020 GT350 spreadsheet. Could you PM me with the last 4 digits of the VIN and the specs. Thanks!
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Are folks having issues with the 991.1/2 GT3s? Maybe they're not old enough to know, though. I do agree with your sentiment above. A 718 would be a fun car, but definitely missing a lot of the specialty. I've driven a 991.1 GT3 and it was a much more special and unique car. Completely unfair how good they are the track in stock form. Almost too good.
Yes, the threads read almost exactly how GT350 engine problem threads read - it's amuzing, in a way. Remember, the first 991.1 GT3s ALL had their engines replaced. Almost 800 owners were told to just not drive their cars while it was sorted out. Porsche did then apply..I think it was a 120k mile warranty to these cars. For the 991.2 there have also been plenty of engine failures - some ongoing threads on Rennlist about this.

Just goes to show - none of these cars are Toyota Tacomas...they are somewhat high-strung and as such, it makes sense that the failure rate could be higher than a typical motor.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
My 2016 GT350 has over 40,000 miles. Burns a bit of oil, maybe a quart every couple thousand. 8 track days, a couple sets of pads and rotors. Runs great.

As others have said, the GT350 is so fast you canā€™t really push it on the street. Itā€™s saving grace for street driving is how emotional it is even at slower speeds. At the track it really becomes a great car. It is still relatively large and heavy, but it is very well balanced and controllable.

The car might be worth something some day, but if you are looking for an investment, probably better to actually invest. The GT350 is too good a vehicle to be hidden away in a garage. If you arenā€™t enjoying it, due to concerns about value or reliability, then there isnā€™t much point in keeping it.
Get the Porsche and try to enjoy that, although you may end up with similar concerns if you get the Spyder since it will be relatively rare.

I personally will be keeping the GT350 for a long time, but I would like to get a Miata or maybe the new Z in order to have something smaller, lighter, and that can be pushed a bit more on the street.

-T

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Yes, the threads read almost exactly how GT350 engine problem threads read - it's amuzing, in a way. Remember, the first 991.1 GT3s ALL had their engines replaced. Almost 800 owners were told to just not drive their cars while it was sorted out. Porsche did then apply..I think it was a 120k mile warranty to these cars. For the 991.2 there have also been plenty of engine failures - some ongoing threads on Rennlist about this.
I saw those threads and thought the exact same thing. You had some people saying it was a small percentage, while others were saying how unreliable all the cars were. I thought it was pretty funny.

Just goes to show - none of these cars are Toyota Tacomas...they are somewhat high-strung and as such, it makes sense that the failure rate could be higher than a typical motor.
100%

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Hello all,

I am considering taking the plunge for the new Porsche 718 Spyder and was hoping someone could talk me out of the purchase. Yes, I realize our cars are mega special and it's comparing an apple to an orange but I've owned a few Porsches in the past and they're very special cars as well.

To be honest, I just don't have a lot of faith in the motor running/ performing well past the 30,000 mile mark. It's such a special engine and to that point, race engines require a lot of TLC along the way. With that said, I have never tracked her (just 1600 miles) nor will I ever track her but I can never truly enjoy driving her on the street due to the carbon fiber wheels getting damaged etc.

I also have chassis #LR001 which is a great blessing but also a curse since I refuse to put many miles on her. So I have a fantastic vehicle sitting in my garage not truly being driven or appreciated the way she should be.

I thought about just purchasing an extended powertrain warranty for 8/125k and driving the piss out of her but then figured in 7 or 8 eight years, their probably won't be any more new Vodoo engines available to swap out.

Please refrain from peppering me. This is such a hard decision folks. She is the best car I've ever owned...
I've had both, and can attest to the wonder of each, but also to the fact that they couldn't be more different. The Boxster shifts MUCH better, and the handling is worlds apart. It's not that the Shelby won't go around a corner well, but the Porsche is just so precise, crisp, unshakeable. I also found my Boxster quite a bit roomier (both in the double trunks and the interior seats), in spite of being considerably smaller. Gas mileage, of course, is vastly better. The sound of the current 718 (base or S) is awful, in my view. That said, I have to admit that--as much as I love the startup bark of my Shelby--the sound so lacks smoothness and has such a raspy note that I find myself not as crazy about it as I imagined. Cost, of course, is a big factor. If I went back to a 718, it would only be for a flat-six (4.0), in which case the price (equipped properly--which is to say, that way I would want it--HA!) would be $105K. Apples and oranges. The most important thing is that you have a LOT of fun thinking about this decision.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I've had both, and can attest to the wonder of each, but also to the fact that they couldn't be more different. The Boxster shifts MUCH better, and the handling is worlds apart. It's not that the Shelby won't go around a corner well, but the Porsche is just so precise, crisp, unshakeable. I also found my Boxster quite a bit roomier (both in the double trunks and the interior seats), in spite of being considerably smaller. Gas mileage, of course, is vastly better. The sound of the current 718 (base or S) is awful, in my view. That said, I have to admit that--as much as I love the startup bark of my Shelby--the sound so lacks smoothness and has such a raspy note that I find myself not as crazy about it as I imagined. Cost, of course, is a big factor. If I went back to a 718, it would only be for a flat-six (4.0), in which case the price (equipped properly--which is to say, that way I would want it--HA!) would be $105K. Apples and oranges. The most important thing is that you have a LOT of fun thinking about this decision.
Add an ARH system to your car and remove the rasp. They sound sooooo good.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
THe R is raspy under load at low RPM. I don't drive mine like a muscle car - keep the revs up and enjoy that sound :)

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
THe R is raspy under load at low RPM. I don't drive mine like a muscle car - keep the revs up and enjoy that sound :)
You might be right, tho' I tend to stay out of the RPMs largely because of the raspiness in the sound. My sons--now grown, and raised to love cars--visited recently, and told me I have started driving like an old woman.

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Add an ARH system to your car and remove the rasp. They sound sooooo good.
Wow, I was thrilled to read your note, and to hear there might be a system which would produce a deeper, throatier, less-raspy, smoother, more German tone. Did you install the entire system (headers, cats, etc.) or just the catback? I listened to several of the full systems on YouTube, and they sound no less raspy than my car.

Rusherific

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
You might be right, tho' I tend to stay out of the RPMs largely because of the raspiness in the sound. My sons--now grown, and raised to love cars--visited recently, and told me I have started driving like an old woman.
I've actually found that for around town the car feels much calmer and quieter even with the exhaust open by keeping it around 3-5k *very* light throttle, the engine has to do less work being in or at least close to the powerband whereas down low you have to give it a lot of gas and make a lot of noise in the process. It feels wrong to drive an american V8 like an 80's honda civic but that's how these were designed!

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
^^Yep and I dare say, it sounds much more exotic like that ;)

EvilMerlin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
201 GT350 - Lead Foot Grey with Black stripes.
Well at least you want to go with the most reliable powertrain from Porsche. You think the 1.5-2.5% failure rate on GT350 engines is bad... wait till you talk to a few Porsche folks.

I race with Porsche friends a lot. Maybe 8-10 times a year. And Almost every race 2-3 of them cannot make it because of serious engine issues...

But do what you will.

CD3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clancy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2017 Tundra Pro
I have owned 2 used 911ā€™s and an 08 Cayman S. All great cars. Owning 7 Mustangs including two 08 GT 500ā€™s Including currently a 19 350,think it comes down to who you are and what car reflects you. Along the way I found myself more comfortable with the Shelby. Reflects me. I am 65 and grew up with these cars so maybe more a roots thing.

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
I have owned 2 used 911ā€™s and an 08 Cayman S. All great cars. Owning 7 Mustangs including two 08 GT 500ā€™s Including currently a 19 350,think it comes down to who you are and what car reflects you. Along the way I found myself more comfortable with the Shelby. Reflects me. I am 65 and grew up with these cars so maybe more a roots thing.
Boy, I'm with you on "the roots thing". I'm 75, and have had a dozen or more Mustangs over the years, starting with the original (1964-1/2). (I even fell for one of those horrible Mustang II derivatives in the mid-70's). This GT350 feels like the real thing, and much better glued together than many.

503rwhp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mustang LX Convertible, 2017 Porsche 911S
I own at GT350 & a 718... if you do it, you REALLY need to get the manual in the Porsche...!!!
The Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) is glorious, but it gets boring not rowing gears.
I bought the 718 before I bought the Shelby... I was never bored with the 718 until I purchased the Shelby. I am looking at getting a GTS or GT4 in manual in the future, but I will NOT get rid of the GT350.
I will never get rid of the Shelby due to the exhaust note.
Handling in the 718 is a whole different experience. The GT350 handles great, but the 718 steps it up a notch on the "seat-o-the-pants meter!
Good luck on your quandary my friend.
I have a 991.2 911S with the PDK and it is glorious. My Mustang is a 5 speed and itā€™s good. For a 718 Spyder the PDK is faster. Yes I know the PDK May be less ā€œinvolvedā€ but itā€™s amazing and faster does count.
Sponsored