Sponsored

Selling GT350R for new Porsche 718 Spyder?

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Simple answer... BOTH!

A friend of mine test drove my GT350. Ordered himself one the next day. That was in the fall. Then he saw the new GT4. Both arrived at his home last month. See, it CAN be done! BOTH!
Sponsored

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Uugghhh...currently dealing with my first temptation ever to sell/trade the 350. This is absolutely gorgeous in person. Just. Plain. Sexy. Manual trans also. This is the only time in 3+ years I’ve been sooooo tempted.
I have both flavors... not the GT4, but I completely understand the quandary.
Keep us posted; either way you win!

Stevbas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT 350.
Uugghhh...currently dealing with my first temptation ever to sell/trade the 350. This is absolutely gorgeous in person. Just. Plain. Sexy. Manual trans also. This is the only time in 3+ years I’ve been sooooo tempted.

0D2C2D77-23E7-4D38-8B86-91BD48D2807B.jpeg
That’s hot. Which model is it ?

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Love it! .... but if I buy a beetle, I will get a GT3 manual, I love that car.

Sponsored

jMB350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2020 GT500 CFTP, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Mine has arrived, just signed final paperwork today. Waiting for dealer to do paint correction and PPF.

Lucky enough to have 350R and GT500 CFTP

D112810C-EAA0-44D5-BAB9-A8437E72A0D8.jpeg

0A185279-5DAA-4684-BEB5-DDF9EEE2ABB5.jpeg

Hawkeye1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350, Tesla Mdl X, 911 GT3, V90, 911S, Z4
I'm on my second GT350 (had a 2016 and just bought a 2020) and own two Porsches (a 2018 GT3 and a 911S Cabriolet). You noted yourself there isn't a firm answer to your quandary and I agree, but it's not like you can go wrong either way. I think the other writers are correct when they say your R will not hold special value to a future buyer based on the chassis number, even though it is cool. It's also true the Porsche will depreciate less than most cars, but it will still depreciate, especially if you drive it. I'll add that I love my Porsches and the GT3 is the best pure driver's car I own, and should be based on the price, but I still love driving the GT350. The gap between the two comes down to differences in weight and body control when thrown into a corner, plus the perceived prestige of the badges. (As a 60+ year old man, I'm perceived one way when I show up in the Shelby and completely differently when I show up in the GT3.) Both have awesome engines, brakes and transmissions, sound incredible at full throttle and are appreciated by 'car people'. The Spyder will be awesome in all the same ways. If you can't swing the purchase of both, I would stick with the R. Because you'll take a bath financially if you sell the R so soon, and because the difference in 'joy' between the two cars (R and Spyder) is subtle. I'll also say that if financial hardship fell on me, I would sell the GT3 to keep the Shelby, for practical reasons. If you've already come to a different conclusion, I'll just repeat that it's not like you can go wrong. They're all depreciating assets and can be sold if needed.

jMB350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
I agree with everything you have said. Although the Porsche fit and finish is impeccable, can’t figure out why American car builders can’t match it. From 1st contact with salesman to delivery was 100% better than dealing with Ford Dealership. Car was delivered to dealership in enclosed trailer and than delivered to me on enclosed box. MSRP was only 14k difference.

mtrout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Oddly, I find myself in the same position: I've ordered a 2022 718 GTS 25th anniversary edition, which means I'll have to sell my GT350. The two cars couldn't be more different, and I love them both.

Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Well, for those who may be trying to take delivery of any 4.0L P car right now (GTS, Spyder, GT4) I'm sure you know what's going on. For those who don't know, let's just say: if you think the mystery Voodoo motor failures is bad, this one is just nutty! It seems as if a batch of rod bolts have been determined to "not meet standards," so there's a "Stop-sale order" on all 4.0L cars at the moment until Porsche can figure out what to do. They claim there are 190 cars affected for sure, but as much as 800 could also be included. They may replace the engines or replace the parts (no small task). IT's all TBD. And I can tell you, the RennList board and others are BLOWING UP!

I have two close friends who both have affected cars sitting at the port. One is going to refuse the car and the other is unsure what to do.

Just wanted to share. No manufacturer is free of defects. But let's see how they handle this. So far it's less than stellar.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
At least Porsche came forward with information about it. Varies Ford is keeping voodoo failures in the dark.

Last edited:

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Well, yes and no. First of all, it's actually now a recall, so they had to provide the details to NHTS. But that was after about a week or more of rumors and speculation. And since the problem is a bolt that was supplied by an outside vendor, they were probably eager to point the finger outside of Porsche. But no info has been given about what's going to happen to these cars, some of which are actually bought and paid for but not yet delivered. Crazy thought: you pay $120k for a car and can't break it out of dealership jail!

They're saying it could be two months before they start installing new engines, assuming you are lucky enough to get a new one rather than have them completely tear down the existing one at the dealership (or at the port) on a brand new car. It's all bad.

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Mine has arrived, just signed final paperwork today. Waiting for dealer to do paint correction and PPF.

Lucky enough to have 350R and GT500 CFTP

D112810C-EAA0-44D5-BAB9-A8437E72A0D8.jpeg

0A185279-5DAA-4684-BEB5-DDF9EEE2ABB5.jpeg
Those sticky tires sure don't like being exposed to snow and freezing weather!

jMB350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Well, yes and no. First of all, it's actually now a recall, so they had to provide the details to NHTS. But that was after about a week or more of rumors and speculation. And since the problem is a bolt that was supplied by an outside vendor, they were probably eager to point the finger outside of Porsche. But no info has been given about what's going to happen to these cars, some of which are actually bought and paid for but not yet delivered. Crazy thought: you pay $120k for a car and can't break it out of dealership jail!

They're saying it could be two months before they start installing new engines, assuming you are lucky enough to get a new one rather than have them completely tear down the existing one at the dealership (or at the port) on a brand new car. It's all bad.

Talked with dealership today no engines will be rebuilt. Porsche will supply new engines as a replacement. they are awaiting details before they schedule. Anything by anyone manufactured has potential for issues its how they address the issue.
Sponsored