Sponsored

Selling 10 speed for 6 speed manual

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Wow, that's hilarious. I'm totally going to bust on manual guys who own a 19+ for this. Auto creep, hill assist, auto rev-matching...is it even a manual transmission anymore :giggle:

I learned stick in an old ass Camry with barely functioning synchro's, and I'm sure there's plenty here who learned on an even older, crappier transmission.
There is no doubt that modern manuals have a BUNCH of tech layered on top. But, the important stuff is still there (clutch pedal, gear box)!
Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
if it was me id learn on a beater car first. you are going to be stalling and grinding for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't want to put my mustang through that but thats just me.
Didn't grind at all on my new GT as a first timer, but did stall. Stalling doesn't hurt.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Didn't grind at all on my new GT as a first timer, but did stall. Stalling doesn't hurt.
Stalling hurts my soul. It's like failing at life to stall...as a Manual Man.

Lancaster

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang V8 GT Fastback
I get from reading these posts that in the US you can legally drive a manual even though you originally learnt and took your driving test in an auto?

For us Brits, that’s simply not possible. We have two types of driving tests - a manual and auto one. If you take the manual test you can legally drive any transmission but if you took the auto you can only drive autos. So if you subsequently wanted to drive a manual having only taken an auto driving test you would need to take a manual test before being legally allowed to drive on the public road. It’s crazy how things are different - I would like to say it’s because over here our roads are generally smaller and are more congested but these laws have been in place for so many years and our roads were far emptier then!

Getting back the OP’s original question though, it’s very much ‘horses for courses.’ I find any car is a slightly different experience if it is a manual or auto, but not necessarily any better either way. I’ve driven manuals all my life but latterly I’ve moved more to autos, particularly as they have got more responsive and controllable. When I was first looking at a Mustang I had a manual in mind, but when the A10 came along that changed my mind - no doubt in part fueled by our packed roads and constant bumper to bumper traffic! As many have said though, if you fancy a manual I’m sure you won’t regret it. It will be a different experience but it will definitely be a fun one!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I get from reading these posts that in the US you can legally drive a manual even though you originally learnt and took your driving test in an auto?
driving test? HA HA! Graduated licensing? Hell in Chicago they hand out DL to even dead people (so they can drive to the polling place and vote)

Sponsored

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
driving test? HA HA! Graduated licensing? Hell in Chicago they hand out DL to even dead people (so they can drive to the polling place and vote)
stop-it-help-meme.jpg

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
not sure if this was mentioned...but get the 20 dollar steeda spring if ur hopping in a manual.

night and day difference, specially if you're new to a manual mustang.
(stock clutch spring is a thicc boi)

fljab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I'm an old guy, can't help that, but have grown up and driven manuals all my life. My late model truck is an auto but would've got a granny low manual if it was still available. My new GT is a manual altho I know the new 10 speed autos are way better in many respects.

Will you regret getting a manual? That's up to you. They are a PITA if you live where you drive in traffic all the time, but otherwise probably not so much. As has been said, driving one is a quick skill to learn unless you're a total klutz, but I'm sure you'll be fine with a bit of practice. Hey, it's not like you're learning on a 3 on the tree with a non syncro 1st and manual clutch engagement!

Enjoy your new to you ride!

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Hi guys, i currently have a 2018 5.0 10 speed premium w/o PP1 that i got a great deal
I haven't followed this thread after the first page or two, so forgive me if this has been suggested already:

I think, with a manual you will actually drive a bit slower (and possibly avoid a ticket or two). My take:

- with an AT, all you have to do is stomp on the accelerator to go; I find myself driving faster, even in low-performance cars, without the need to shift

- with a manual, you are more concerned with planning your next shift, or downshift, than going as fast as you possibly can (track days are exempt)

- I've rebuilt a couple manual transmissions, and know how fragile shift forks, synchros, laygears, etc. can be (my '08 Bullitt had 120K miles on its original clutch and brakes when I traded it in on the '19)

- if you engine brake effectively, and don't go WOT into red lights like so many idiots you may not need as many brake jobs (see above; my pads still had 70% of material on them)

- if not in a hurry, you can 'skip shift' to save a little gas and clutch wear(just don't lug the engine or slip the clutch too much; Coyotes have so much top end it's no problem getting gear overlap)

- I see lots of new(ish) cars with one or more brake lights out; I attribute this to AT drivers stopping in gear for long lights with their foot on the brake pedal

- as others have said, there is simply more engagement in your driving with a manual

FWIW.

IMadeYouReadThis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT manual
You'll never have more fun in your life than you will driving a rear wheel drive V8 car with a manual transmission.

On top of that you'll be learning a useful skill.

Leave the automatics for pickup trucks and commuter cars

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Started off driving a manual 1976 Volare station wagon, then automatics, then 86 Chevette with a manual, then the next 30 years automatics. When I bought my 17 GT new, I specifically ordered a manual. For me it wasn't about being the fastest, it's the connection with the rest of the machine, and shifting gears when I want to shift gears, not when the computer wants too. Guess what I'm saying is I hate cars that drive themselves, it makes you too complacent cause your basically a passenger behind the steering wheel.

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
The paddle shifting allows you to shift fully manually too, computer doesn't interfere. Or you can help it, for example downshift before you hit the gas pedal to be prepared for overtaking. It's about choice. If you don't want the choice, that's all fine of course. Different people have different tastes and desires.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
The paddle shifting allows you to shift fully manually too, computer doesn't interfere. Or you can help it, for example downshift before you hit the gas pedal to be prepared for overtaking. It's about choice. If you don't want the choice, that's all fine of course. Different people have different tastes and desires.
I'm not arguing choice, I'm all for it (in all respects). I don't believe I said anything against 'choice'--or ATs, for that matter--in my previous post except, perhaps, my opinion that MTs are more engaging (that's hardly a stand against choice unless you're a real AT stan). But OP wanted to know the upside/downside for shifting (heh) FROM an AT--it's in the title of the thread--unlike the numerous "Should I get an AT or MT?" threads on this site and others. Presumably, he already knows the wonderfulness of floppy paddles (but is admittedly less familiar with MTs and the dreaded third pedal).

One other advantage for a manual, IMO, is maintenance. An AT involves a fairly elaborate procedure to replace fluid and filter--even with a flush kit you won't get 100% fresh fluid--and should usually be left to a dealer or specialty shop, while I can completely change out a manual's fluid (only about a quart, vs. 10-12qts for an AT) in a half-hour, at home (it usually takes me longer to collect the tools and ingredients than to do the job). Except in extreme conditions--delivery, hilly country, track use, etc.--you can easily get 100K miles on a clutch, and a decent shadetree mechanic can install a new one at home in half a day and less than $1K (maybe even with an upgrade). My father was an auto shop teacher and a factory rep for Ford, and even he left AT work to the pros.

Edit: I mis-wrote; my MT82 takes 2.8L (what comes in the BG kit).

Last edited:

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
The paddle shifting allows you to shift fully manually too
Kind of, but not really. It allows you to shift, if it thinks the conditions are right. The downshifts are particularly clunky sometime. There is no easy way to go from high gear to a lower gear yourself, you need to rely on the computer to do it.

A bit different than "fully" controlling the shifting right. I can also money shift, which an auto won't let you do! ;)
Sponsored