Selling 10 speed for 6 speed manual

csimmy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
cam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Hi guys, i currently have a 2018 5.0 10 speed premium w/o PP1 that i got a great deal on a year ago used and it now has 33,000 miles. I am in a position to sell it and make twice the amount of money i put into it. I am thinking of selling it and grabbing another 2019 premium pp1 but it’s a manual. it has 5,000 miles on it and already comes with everything on mine now. using the extra money from my current car i will owe just a tiny bit more than i do now. my problem with it is i do not know how to drive a manual car... will the change be drastic and will i regret the decision. my thing is i can pay just 2 thousand more for 30,000 less miles for the same car and color i want, but i will have to go from auto to manual. please any input is great!

thank you,
Sponsored

BleedNBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 2018 Toyota 4Runner ORP; 2007 Sea Ray 270 SLX
Vehicle Showcase
It will take some time to learn. But it’s like riding a bike. Once figured out, you won’t even think about it.
Answer to your question. Yes, the change is drastic and you will not regret it.

Last edited:

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
You''ll be fine with plenty of video on how to drive MT. Do a lots of dry run clutching and shifting in your living room.

Just get to know the clutch engage point, hold it until car starts moving, then release slowly. Never place a foot on clutch while cruising. It's that simple. Mustang clutch is funny. You have to coordinate fully releasing clutch with slight gassing to avoid shuddering.

You'll love stick shifting. It's fun, and it won't let you drive recklessly too fast too quick like auto transmission. Your shifting will be measured, calculated and precise for the road and traffic condition, more attuned to driving.

It is a pain sometimes in heavy stop n go traffic. We married men knows how it is -- familiar with the pain.

Last edited:

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
if it was me id learn on a beater car first. you are going to be stalling and grinding for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't want to put my mustang through that but thats just me.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I don't think you will regret it unless you have to drive in heavy traffic a lot. But, you will lose some performance and response.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if it was me id learn on a beater car first. you are going to be stalling and grinding for a couple of weeks. I wouldn't want to put my mustang through that but thats just me.
Do practice a lot in empty parking lot, quiet places. Also, on an incline to learn the clutch-brake hold. Learn to shift without making your passenger's body jerk. Practice makes you perfect.

Deleted member 35644

I would never discourage somebody from making that change, just make sure you're aware that it can be a lot of work driving this car in a long traffic jam. Since you've never driven a manual, there must be a reason for that. Never had the desire? There's your caution sign. You don't want to have to do this all over again in a year when you're sick of shifting.

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
Do practice a lot in empty parking lot, quiet places. Also, on an incline to learn the clutch-brake hold. Learn to shift without making your passenger's body jerk. Practice makes you perfect.
I agree with this. I have a manual now I was saying that the op should learn first on a beater instead of learning on the mustang.

Sponsored

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
20 years ago, my brother in law took a bus to a VW dealer, purchased a Jetta 5spd, and then had the salesperson teach him how to drive stick. He drove around the parkinglot a few times, then around the block around the dealer, getting used to quickly restarting the engine after stalling, and then drove 1.5 hours home stuck in NYC traffic.

He said he stalled it about a 1000 times, but got it home, and then next day, limped to a parkinglot and practiced all day.

as for me, it was my wife who taught me how to drive manual, and she basically showed me for 10 minutes, and while she was in a 3 hour meeting, I just drove around her work in circles until I figured it out.

As for the mustang, the 2019 has the (I am sorry if I offend people again for calling it that) "creep mode". When the clutch is released slowly, instead of the engine stalling, the ecu will automatically give the car some gas. So I find that the 2019 mustang is the easiest of all manuals I have driven.

Just leave all the nanny features on (rev matching, and even the hill assist).

As for the hill-assist, if one already knows how to drive a manual it will just end up causing the person to stall the engine, but if you are a neophyte, then the hill assist is helpful, if you know how to use it.

The hill assist will automatically hold the car's brakes for 3 seconds after you release the brake pedal. So if you train yourself to not immediately give the gas as you release brake, and instead when you start on a hill and when you release brake pedal count 1-thousand, two-thousand, press gas, it will actually help you on the hills.

The car rev matches on upshifts, (again, take 3 seconds between clutch in, upshift, then clutch out during upshifts for a shockless shift). the 19 also rev matches on downshifts, which I think will be great for a beginner.

normally, I would say learn how to drive manual on a beater car, because of the potential to grind the clutch to oblivion, but the 2019 has so many things in place to match rev's so I think you should be fine.

I recommend watching some youtube videos. I think Bill from CJ has a video where he tries to teach an employee how to drive a stick using their EB Manual. I think that has decent info for beginners.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As for the hill-assist, if one already knows how to drive a manual it will just end up causing the person to stall the engine, but if you are a neophyte, then the hill assist is helpful, if you know how to use it.
Thanks for this tip. I'll try it, as I have had difficulty with hill assist, jerking, and killing engine once.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Thanks for this tip. I'll try it, as I have had difficulty with hill assist, jerking, and killing engine once.
Like many folks, I turn off hill assist during weekends, but during week days when I commute to work, I leave it on. I just do the , hold clutch, then release brake, two... three... gas and if you time it right the brake releases as you start to give gas.

If you train yourself to it, it does make hill starts easier, esp when jerks pull up 1/2 in. behind your rear bumper.

Honestly, I feel like once you train yourself to work with all of the assist features, driving with then on feels like I am driving a manumatic car versus when I am driving fully manual (no assist). The 19 has been the easiest manual to drive with.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OK you "manual maniacs", calm down. OP is asking us if he will regret buying a manual. How in heavens name can we answer that objectively? Answer is we can't, and we shouldn't try.

OP, since you have never driven a stick before might I suggest getting your hands on one (any one) just to see if you like it. You may love it or you may hate it. You need to come to that conclusion on your own before you sell your current car. Because if you do it and hate it, you will regret it.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Because if you do it and hate it, you will regret it.
hating a manual is just acknowledging one's weakness and general unsuitability toward vehicle ownership. :devil:

/runs away ducking and weaving...

2 key skills in learning a manual.
1) pull away from a stop using only the clutch, no gas
2) maintain precisely say 1300rpm with just steady gas pedal while stopped with clutch fully disengaged (iow both legs doing something)
Sponsored

Last edited: