Selectable Steering Modes (Normal, Sport & Comfort) All seem Stiff

rmxdavid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible 5.0 - Magnetic Metallic
I searched before posting and couldn't find anything on this. Apologize if there is already a post out there and I missed...

Does anyone really see a difference with the selectable steering option on a 2019 GT Premium convertible? It seems on mine that there is no difference between Normal, Sport and Comfort modes. At the same time (not complaining) the steering seems stiff regardless of the mode selected. Maybe this is by design? The flip side is that the car handles well and is very stable at high speeds in both steering and ride. It just seems that there would be some difference between Sport (Per the manual - Slightly higher effort required for steering with more road force felt through the steering wheel) and Comfort (Per the manual - Slightly less effort required for steering with less road force felt through the steering wheel)

Maybe it is just me in my head?
Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I’ve never noticed much difference. I used comfort a couple of times and it barely made a difference, maybe you only really notice it at slow speeds, like parking.

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
Yeah my 18 EB has a noticeable difference between the three. Comfort is one finger turning, and sport is just above "no power steering". It's dramatic.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
and sport is just above "no power steering"
heh, have you driven a boosted/assist car with a failed pump? It's like wrestling a bull. Or did you mean to compare against 1960's cars before they invented power assist?

Sponsored

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
heh, have you driven a boosted/assist car with a failed pump? It's like wrestling a bull. Or did you mean to compare against 1960's cars before they invented power assist?
Lol well my sport steering mode is required two handed turning for sure. I'm not sure if anything changed for the 19+, but it's noticeable. I use normal for most driving just because it defaults to it. I think the MyKey feature can save the modes and start in whatever you choose automatically, but it's too much work and I'm lazy.

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
I’ve never really been able to notice a difference.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There's a clear difference in my 2020.
Comfort feels quite close to my former mk5 Mondeo (a.k.a. Fusion), which felt as if it had been a drive-by-wire system, more like playing a video game than like driving a real car. I didn't like that. Sport feels closer to the hydraulic power steering racks of the olden days. I keep it in Sport all the time.

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Mine was noticeable on my 15 until I had an alignment done. They set my toe in the front at 0. It made the steering feel heavy feeling and the modes now feel all the same. Car handles great. In Florida, it is mostly long flat roads so I was okay with the alignment. My point is, my be your wheel alignment. 👍

OP
OP
rmxdavid

rmxdavid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible 5.0 - Magnetic Metallic
Starting to think there may be a difference from what I am hearing between the steering options with an EcoBoost vs GT Premium with a V8...Maybe the heavier motor less noticeable? Let me ask this - Has anyone drove both the Eco & V8 back to back (same year) and noticed a difference?

Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I noticed a difference on mine after switching to Sport when it had been on comfort a week or so after I got the car. On comfort the car seemed to want to wander and track with the grooves in the pavement more and took more input to keep it where I wanted it. Sport tightened it up a good bit and although it takes a little more effort to turn, it tracks better going down the road and feels better overall.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Let me ask this - Has anyone drove both the Eco & V8 back to back (same year) and noticed a difference?
between like modes (normal vs normal, sport vs sport, etc) you mean? Hard to say but both cars exhibited differences in their respective 3 modes. The EB is lighter in the nose so there is that even though I was running 9.5" w/ 265 vs 9.5" w 275 tires.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
There is a very noticeable difference between the 3 settings, both in my 16 as well as in my 20.

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
Mine has a very noticeable difference in the modes.
Sponsored