Sponsored

Seeking advice about 2011 Mustang possible purchase.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; A local dealer has a used 2011 Mustang for sale. It has a little over 6K miles. Must have been mostly kept in a garage by the previous two owners. I drove it last week. It drives out well. The exhaust is a bit loud when cruising at 60 mph. Will be annoying on a long drive. It is a manual which shifts smoothly. V8 of course.

The CARFAX is clean except for an unresolved recall for a passenger airbag. The TPMS system has a message error. My guess is the batteries in the wheel sensors are dead.

If i do get the car I will change all the fluids and flush the brakes and hydraulic clutch, if it has that feature. Will check the belts and hoses.

I do not know how to value the car. It is a Roush stage 2. The value sites I have used do not allow for a Roush option. So, what sort of price is good is one question??

In general does anyone have advice about things to look for on such a car? I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow. They will put it up on a rack so I can have a look underneath.

I have some experience working on cars which have sat a lot. The low mileage is a positive in one way but also means it sat a lot over 12 years. I have not asked about a warranty and none was mentioned. I figure there will not be a warranty.

The car looks great. The interior is in good shape. The shifter is a sweet short throw of some sort. The audio sounds great. I do not know much about the Rousch package. I get some is cosmetic. I do not know what Rousch features are for performance. I wonder if it has a special tune. Does it have different brakes? What might be notable parts of the Roush package?

Talk price if you want or talk Roush package. Talk the Gen I Coyote which is the engine I think. Talk 12 year old used Mustangs in general. Last what ought to be my earliest moves if i get the car?
Sponsored

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Before going into my next question some background. I looked at and drove the Mustang last Thursday. During the time spent with the salesman price was mentioned. I asked for a ballpark idea of a possible out the door price. He said maybe 38K during the test drive. He made a copy of the Carfax report which i took home with me.
While reading the report I saw Carfax had valued the car at just under $33K. I tried to use internet value sites but they did not have a category for a Roush so they had a 12 year old Mustang valued much lower even with low miles. So, I took it that the Carfax report might be somewhere near reasonable.
Went to the dealership yesterday for them to put it on a rack so i can take a look underneath. Never got to that as the mechanic was out to lunch. So, we talked price. I started with the Carfax report price then added TN tax and fees to get a bit over $35,500.
Salesman went off and came back with $44,000 out the door. I asked what happened to the $38K. He only shrugged. I asked how they came up with the price explaining how I could not find a good source. He did not really answer but showed me a site called Classics.com. I left at that point.

My question today is about the valuation process in general and more specifically about the Carfax report. I do not question that a seller can ask whatever they wish for a car. I also get they may figure that a low mileage Rousch Mustang may be special enough to fetch a higher price.
Is the Carfax report that far off?

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
12 YO car, 6K miles, Roush Stage 2, two owners, no inspection and a $6K bump up for being interested.

Pass would be my choice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; A friend gave me some numbers from a site the dealers use.

For a 2011 Muistang at the top level - Extra clean it came out to base =$18,500. The Roush stage2 options = $4,125. The low miles = $2.700. A total of $25,325.

Trade in is $19,405 which is my take is what a dealer ought to have in the car.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
They probably bought the car at the recently very inflated prices.

It sounds like you like the car. make a reasonable offer in writing and tell them to call you when they want to sell it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sk47

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
They probably bought the car at the recently very inflated prices.

It sounds like you like the car. make a reasonable offer in writing and tell them to call you when they want to sell it.
Hello; I offered $35,500 and had my check book with me. Had not thought that they may have been caught in the price crazy times. I do like it. Too much car for my needs at my age in a way. Think i will let my offer stand for a while.
I have a line on a 1957 Pontiac Bonneville. Have not seen it yet but seems to be a good car. Though i would try for the Mustang first. Had a 57 Bonneville back in the day.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I'd give them a call let them know your offer stands until you find something better.

There is no way they will get 44K

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Did a quick look around Knoxville and 30K plus tax seems reasonable for that car.

I am surprised , most are listed in the 25K range. I would have thought the 2011's would be 10K or below

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Did a quick look around Knoxville and 30K plus tax seems reasonable for that car.

I am surprised , most are listed in the 25K range. I would have thought the 2011's would be 10K or below
The used dealers have a nice line, a new one is 55-60k so 25-30k is half a new one and this unit only has xx miles it is like new.
I looked at a 2013 with a family member as he wanted one after driving mine. The sales lady defended their pricing with , " A mustang optioned the same way new is 52k " They wanted 28799 Book was about 21500 . But it is spring and sporty car and a young kid (by kid I mean 34y/o ) looking at it. They didn't care for him bringing me along to look it over.
The sales lady said they'll have no problem selling it for the 28,7. I said that is fine but if you come back to reality, call. It is still there almost 3 months later.
Sponsored