Sponsored

Second gear hiss on a Mach 1 with Tremec?

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
Hey guys,

I managed to get a video of the shifter with the hiss:

I think it's pretty clear what's going on, exactly as described here. I'm also 100% sure this isn't normal. I don't know if it affects the car, probably not, but it literally grinds my gears.

I have a very similar noise when I push the shifter to the left side in second. You can hear it clearly when I do it in this video. You may need to turn your bass down to pick it up. This sounds very different playing on my phone compared to computer. I believe this is some sort of shift lever alignment issue.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Georg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Yes its the same. But you have it only when you push the stick to the left?

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I believe you are meaning this four bolt gearbox support plate, as you can see, there is some room to move because of oval holes...
1661540352714.png

so after all, it may be a combination of unquality linkage and misalignment
That's the trans mount. I remember one time a rock got lodged in my 12 boss and made a terrible sound but this is obviously not that issue.

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Twister Orange w/HP
Well it seems we have all landed on this bring a sound due to the shifter linkage. I am finally done with my MGW shifter install and the sound is totally gone. Definitely a shifter linkage issue.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
Well it seems we have all landed on this bring a sound due to the shifter linkage. I am finally done with my MGW shifter install and the sound is totally gone. Definitely a shifter linkage issue.
Being not familiar with the shifter replacement procedure, I just wonder, if you loosed the gearbox bracket during the installation and could incidentally realign it while mounting the new shifter? So it would not be the shifter per se, but really a misalignment.
Or maybe the new shifter just prevents the misalignment by its design?

Anyway, I was thinking about this shifter before, simply because I liked it, now I have one more reason to consider it. My only major doubt is how difficult it is to mount and if you need to work on the bottom of the car as well (which would require lift, or something).

Did you follow any guide or video, and how long did it take?

Sponsored

OP
OP

zenith66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1 2022, Subaru Forester 2011
That's great news. What other differences are there with the MGW? Is it worth the upgrade?

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone,

I'm a proud owner of a Euro spec Mach 1 with the Tremec transmission.

I love every bit of the car. The engine, chassis, and transmission are absolutely phenomenal.

I did notice, however, that there is an audible hiss when accelerating in second gear. Barely noticeable in first gear, as well. It sounds like an air intake, but a bit mechanical.

I went to the dealer and they said that this is specific to the Tremec, but we don't get lots of 5.0 Mustangs here, not to mention something like the Tremec. (most Mach 1s sold are automatic).

So I thought I'd ask fellow owners. Is it normal for the Tremec to have this kind of hissing sound?

Warm regards from Europe guys.

Bonus, a pic of the beast.

IMG_20220806_183507.jpg
THAT is a beautiful looking car. Enjoy it.

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being not familiar with the shifter replacement procedure, I just wonder, if you loosed the gearbox bracket during the installation and could incidentally realign it while mounting the new shifter? So it would not be the shifter per se, but really a misalignment.
Or maybe the new shifter just prevents the misalignment by its design?

Anyway, I was thinking about this shifter before, simply because I liked it, now I have one more reason to consider it. My only major doubt is how difficult it is to mount and if you need to work on the bottom of the car as well (which would require lift, or something).

Did you follow any guide or video, and how long did it take?
You may very well be right. I can tell you if you are going to go to the trouble to get this done, if you have the cash you might as well just replace it all. It is not easy to get at.

The MGW guide was very good, I had a few interesting issues though. I couldn't get the trans to lower enough and turned out my exhaust was holding everything up where it would only drop about an inch. Once I disconnected my H pipe I was able to lower it and made things much easier. Every bolt is in a small tight space and it isn't the simplest to get at. Definitely get a ratcheting box wrench as recommended. The boot install towards the end is a big ole bitch of a job. It took me much swearing and a few cut up fingers but I did manage to get it.

By myself it took ~8 hours on quick jacks. If you take out I spent ~1-2 hours trying to figure out why the trans wouldn't drop any lower as well as the boot install, probably half a day by yourself. You really need to take your time.

That's great news. What other differences are there with the MGW? Is it worth the upgrade?
Definitely worth the upgrade. Shifts are so much more positive. Lots of confidence in shifting quickly compared to stock. The shortness is something I need to get use to but I have had short shifters in the past and loved them, so keep that in mind. You need to shift with purpose or you will miss gears, this thing is meant to be tugged on. I absolutely love it.

Esset

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2021 MACH 1
I am happy to say that after installing mgw shifter all the problematic sounds disappeared for me as well. Shifting is now a great joy. If you only hear noises in first or second gear, I think it can be solved by modifying the existing shifter..

Sponsored

Esset

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2021 MACH 1
You mean by realigning the gearbox?
No. At mgw shifter you can adjust the play when you shift 1 or 2 gear. I mean how much the shifter goes to the left side. There is a adjusteble pin with thread and locking nut. So you set the right distance - just to engage the 1 or 2 shift and you are set. So the shifter can't go too much to the left side and make this noise. On the other hand the stock shifter is set to default distance by its design and cant be adjusted. I was thinking, if you can somehow add material to the left side of the body (metal piece), then you shorten the distance and hence the shifter will not be pushing too much to the left. Maybe glue a piece of plastic and then sand it to desired thickness.. see picture, red arrow is the metal stop and yellow the gap to shorten..

1661719976931.png

Also what I find curious, is that, the metal stop is not straight, but at some angle :
1661720101197.png

The reason for that is unknown to me. So this just came at my mind, but cant guarantee it will work, its just theory.. The good thing about that is, you can try it without making your car undrivable. So you can tweak as you go and its not really difficult to disassamble " upper shift body".

Last edited:

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
On the other hand the stock shifter is set to default distance by its design and cant be adjusted. I was thinking, if you can somehow add material to the left side of the body (metal piece), then you shorten the distance and hence the shifter will not be pushing too much to the left.
Ok, I see. But the grinding sound is there even when you leave the shifter free. I assume it is held in place by some other means (i.e. not the stopper on the left side). I would be afraid that adding a material to the stopper, while not taking it away on the other side (which holds the shifter in place when in 1/2 gear) could eventually prevent you from putting it into a gear at all.

Plus it is not clear what exactly causes the sound. Is it a contact of the shifter with the stopper.? Maybe the stopper is actually too close.

I guess to get a better understanding, one would need to strip the shifter to see the assembly and then move the gearbox bracket underneath the car and check if/what movement it causes in the shifter. Hopefully someone who has not changed his shifter yet :D.

OP
OP

zenith66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1 2022, Subaru Forester 2011
I guess to get a better understanding, one would need to strip the shifter to see the assembly and then move the gearbox bracket underneath the car and check if/what movement it causes in the shifter. Hopefully someone who has not changed his shifter yet :D.
It's obvious it's a problem by now, is there no way to actually get, you know, FORD to look into this?

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think a big enough stink would need to be caused and then it probably would only warrant a TSB. Maybe adding something would help, but to be honest, it could be a number of things. When you drop the trans down and back up with the MGW install, you may also be "realigning" it that way. I think there are a combination of things happening, but which one in particular is the fix I can't say. Definitely an alignment issue with the shifter and the trans, but doing just one or the other might not fix it I would bet.

Pardsy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang Mach 1
Anyone uncover a cause?
Sponsored