Sponsored

Second gear hiss on a Mach 1 with Tremec?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Had anyone captured this sound in audio yet??
Sponsored

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Twister Orange w/HP
So I finally got around to doing some testing to see if moving the stick one way or the other changes the sound. Like many others, applying a small amount of pressure towards the passenger side of the car makes the sound disappear, but the same amount of pressure towards the driver side makes it increase in volume. I also thought it was just 2nd gear that does it, but it does do it in 1st just not as loudly. Everything feels and drives fine still, and no other gear makes this sound. I think the fact it comes on with throttle is due to the engine flexing the trans and the gear shift twisting a bit (pressure being applied) causing the sound. I am going to call my dealer to get it on record and see if there are any TSB's. The car isn't a daily so it doesn't get driven much. I would rather let it sit at my place versus a dealer for a fix, unless there is one documented already.

Kootnak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, Ranger Raptor
So I finally got around to doing some testing to see if moving the stick one way or the other changes the sound. Like many others, applying a small amount of pressure towards the passenger side of the car makes the sound disappear, but the same amount of pressure towards the driver side makes it increase in volume. I also thought it was just 2nd gear that does it, but it does do it in 1st just not as loudly. Everything feels and drives fine still, and no other gear makes this sound. I think the fact it comes on with throttle is due to the engine flexing the trans and the gear shift twisting a bit (pressure being applied) causing the sound. I am going to call my dealer to get it on record and see if there are any TSB's. The car isn't a daily so it doesn't get driven much. I would rather let it sit at my place versus a dealer for a fix, unless there is one documented already.
This is exactly what mine does. My dealer told me FORD Australia advised them this is normal with the manual Mach 1, how would they know, don't believe any Aussie Mustang has ever had a Tremec before. As you said still drives fine but the noise is annoying. Like something isn't lined up correctly, every other gear is fine.

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Makes me wonder if something in the linkage between the gear shift and the trans is too tight or something. I know these aren't directly mounted to the trans and there is some linkage (although not much).

Sponsored

OP
OP

zenith66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1 2022, Subaru Forester 2011
I am going to call my dealer to get it on record and see if there are any TSB's. The car isn't a daily so it doesn't get driven much. I would rather let it sit at my place versus a dealer for a fix, unless there is one documented already.
Please keep us updated with what the dealer says.

This is exactly what mine does. My dealer told me FORD Australia advised them this is normal with the manual Mach 1, how would they know, don't believe any Aussie Mustang has ever had a Tremec before. As you said still drives fine but the noise is annoying. Like something isn't lined up correctly, every other gear is fine.
I got the same thing from Ford Romania, but it's the same situation, I think it's the only Tremec in the country lol.

It's saying "sssssshould have bought a ssssshhhelby" šŸ¤£
They don't sell them in Europe šŸ˜¢

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just phoned the dealer, no TSB's or anything related to the issue. I don't want to take it in necessarily because I have chased weird issues like this in the past where more ended up getting broken in the process (not at this dealer, but just others working on my cars in the past). I definitely think it has something to do with pressure from the gates and the linkage, maybe not set quite right. I have 0 issues going in and out of gear, so I think for now I am going to keep my eyes on this thread and what my car does to see if a fix is found.

Side note: my theory is making me consider replacing the shifter linkage more and more with the MGW shift kit, but ehh, I think I should just leave it alone šŸ˜…

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For the hell of it, I ordered an MGW shifter and it is set to be delivered today. Between ordering/deliver it was ~5 days. Really impressed by that since I heard it is usually 4-5 weeks. I am off next week and plan to install. I am not sure if it will make a difference in the issue, but I had been thinking about doing it anyways. I will report back if it does change anything. If it doesnt, I was thinking about just doing a simple fluid change. Has anyone tried changing the fluid to see if its maybe not filled enough from factory?

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
If it doesnt, I was thinking about just doing a simple fluid change. Has anyone tried changing the fluid to see if its maybe not filled enough from factory?
It is still not clear from where it comes. It certainly reacts to shifter push, but does it come from the shifter, shifter/trans interface, or the trans - that is the question. Changing the shifter may or may not help with the former two, the oil change probably not.
One comment on the trans oil/fluid - it is very waterish looking substance. There was already post from someone recommending replacing it with something else. I would expect something with higher viscosity could change the sound, but probably not solve the problem.

stev3french

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the trans uses a pretty low vis oil. I think that is by design, I wouldn't put a high vis oil in it from what I have heard, but agree if the noise is within the trans it might help putting something thicker in.

Sponsored

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
believe it or not the Tremec is filled with ATF as the fluid, and a low viscosity one at that.

I was a bit surprised by this too, also the long change interval of 150,000 miles :cwl:...

1661450097604.png

Georg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Hello,
i am from Germany. Sorry for my bad English, I was very bad in English in school.

I have a Mach1 with 1500 km on the clock and exactly the same issue with my Tremec. So i found this internet site for mustangs and read all threads here.

In the second gear itā€™s a grinding noise. Especially when you go in sharp left turns when you put down the gas pedal. In the other gears is nothing.
And when you pull up the Ring for the Rear Gear (donā€™t switch in the rear gear!) then the noise stops immediately. It also stops when you press the shifter to the passenger side.

So i went to a Ford store and they told me its not normal. They wanted to disassemble the transmission.
But I went to a other Ford dealer who is specialized in Mustangs. They said, donā€™t worry. Itā€™s normal.

So and now I registered me here for communication with other members and even I took a video and placed it on YouTube.
I think you can hear it well.

In the Video: first I am in the 2nd gear. You can hear the grinding noise. Then I switch to the 3rd, and itā€™s quite, and go then back to the 2nd and you can hear it again.

I hope the link works.

Last edited:

SemperFi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 m0303
It's saying "sssssshould have bought a ssssshhhelby" šŸ¤£
But why would he want a slower car whose engine will be fubar after 3 track runs? :crazy:

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
believe it or not the Tremec is filled with ATF as the fluid, and a low viscosity one at that.

I was a bit surprised by this too, also the long change interval of 150,000 miles :cwl:...

1661450097604.png
So, if the volume of the fluid in the transmission is 3.1 L then I got my fluid changed during the last repair, because the tech from the shop told me they had to put about 3 L of a new one in. I would expect them to use the one prescribed by Ford.

I cannot really say if it had an impact on the sound since it has been quite long while I was without a car, but I can confirm the noise is still there after the change.

But I went to a other Ford dealer who is specialized in Mustangs. They said, donā€™t worry. Itā€™s normal.
Is it supposed to be normal on any manual in Mustang, or is it supposed to be normal for Tremec TR-3160? Ford never officially sold any Shelby model in Europe. So I guess it might be difficult to access statistically significant number of GT350 here.

Kootnak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, Ranger Raptor
Here is another video of the noise. I have around 6000k's on it and has been like it since new.

Hopefully the link works.

Sponsored