Seatbelt Flapping Noise with Top Down

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Does anyone else get a flapping noise from the passenger seatbelt on the highway with the top down? Had my car on the highway with the top down for the first time yesterday and there was a pretty steady flapping sound from the passenger side which I am pretty sure is coming from the seatbelt (no passenger). Not only is it annoying, but I am guessing it will end up leaving wear marks on the seat and interior trim.
Sponsored

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
Run the passenger seat down to its lowest position, then move the seat all the way back. Once you've done that, then position the seatback such that it comes into contact with the rear seat cushion.

Should that not eliminate it, you'll need to experiment with various positions.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
You drive a convertible and you're annoyed the wind blows things around? 🤪 I tease, but there's probably a solution to this. Would it do any good to buckle the seatbelt?

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I would get that when the belt wasn’t run through the retainer on top of the seat back.

OP
OP
ay1820

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Run the passenger seat down to its lowest position, then move the seat all the way back. Once you've done that, then position the seatback such that it comes into contact with the rear seat cushion.

Should that not eliminate it, you'll need to experiment with various positions.
Interesting. When I took delivery of the car that was how the passenger seat was positioned. Of course it has been moved since then. I will experiment a bit.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ay1820

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
You drive a convertible and you're annoyed the wind blows things around? 🤪 I tease, but there's probably a solution to this. Would it do any good to buckle the seatbelt?
Love the wind in my hair just not in my ear! 😮😝🤣

I thought about buckling it, and running it through the retainer ... couldn't try those while I was driving though and thought I'd try for some group wisdom on the topic.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I usually raise both windows a couple of inches to keep my shoulder belt from flapping on my shoulder.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I just put a set of these on. Put's the belt where it belongs. Huge improvement. Will likely solve the OPs issues.

Best $40 I have spent on the car. This was the only issue that bugged me on the interior.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185324467986

1651348037564.png

OP
OP
ay1820

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
Are those much different than the OEM guides already in place?

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I just buckle the belt when no one is in it.

Works for me.

CVCashmere

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Very, very occasionally I would get that but it must have been under specific conditions (strong cross-wind maybe?). I would just buckle it on the empty seat. I've now got a Love the Drive screen and it's in the car all the time, so presumably it covering the rear seat (in the absence of my wife riding shotgun, I typically drive with the LtD and windows down) is enough to keep it from occurring.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Love the wind in my hair just not in my ear! 😮😝🤣

I thought about buckling it, and running it through the retainer ... couldn't try those while I was driving though and thought I'd try for some group wisdom on the topic.
Go drive a Fox convertible or a 1st gen Stang with the top UP and call me back about that wind noise.....lol

To be fair, the shoulder belt design on these things is just wrong. The belt binds when the seat is close to its rear position limit. This didnt seem to be an issue on Foxes, SN95s or New Edge gens.
Sponsored