Sponsored

seat replacement Airbag issue

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
I know the story floating around is a 2 ohm resistor. to fool the computer. On my 2017 there are two air bags in the seat. Measuring the ohms can be tricky because the air bags have a shorting plug. I guess it is to make sure the airbags don't go off from a static charge. So when you go to measure them they read 0 ohms I've included pic and schematics. Also don't forget to short out the seat position sensor.
SeatWiring1.jpg
SeatWiring2.jpg
SeatWiring3.jpg
SeatWiring4.jpg
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is the above a tip if someone is replacing their factory seats with an aftermarket set?

Or

Is the knowledge needed if any of us need to remove the factory seats from the car to do "X"?

Thanks for further clarification.

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes and yes. I've seen lots of posts about lowering seats. Since there is no way to lower the 2015-17 seats you have to replace them. So l am putting in sparco seat base, and 2012 seat which can be removed from its factory seat track. Which lets you put it as low and back as you want. Plus I like cloth over leather. Since it has one airbag I plan on hooking it up, along with seat position sensor. Hopefully I'll be able to sell my new factory GT350 leather/AC/pwr/lumbar/adj headrest seats to cover the conversion cost. Also planning new door panels with arm rests in a usable position with a less plastic look. A maybe a holster built in. So I spend time here reading, and over at Forscan because lack of power and AC in the new seat will throw some kind of error code. While trolling through the shop manual trying learn about airbags.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Thank you for the clarification to your original (and great) tech post regarding the S550 airbag electrical circuits.

Here's one more question - it may be a stupid one to some, but can air bag equipped seats be removed from a vehicle without having to disconnect the battery prior to removal?

Thanks!

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
manual says key off then wait a few minutes

Sponsored

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
Adding a little info. I'm replacing my driver seat in my convertible with an older Recaro I've had for years. With my scanner, I can read current data from the SRS system. Resistance on both airbags was 2.3 ohms each, according to the car's computer.

Edit to add the most important part: I used two 2.2 ohm resistors, plugged into connector C3206 (see above). One resistor between terminals 1 and 2, the other between terminals 3 and 4. No airbag light.

Anticipating the next question, my scanner is a CRP123. Cheap Chinese scanner, but it works. Does ABS, SRS, and transmission codes in addition to engine codes for just about every manufacturer. About $150.

Last edited:

Mustangpaul05

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
17GT PP/ 04 cobra / 86 GT
One question about this-is it convertible cars that have 2 airbags in the seats? My coupe has 1.

I am going to have a follow up question after..

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT pp Paxton e85
The resistor thing does NOT work.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Here's one more question - it may be a stupid one to some, but can air bag equipped seats be removed from a vehicle without having to disconnect the battery prior to removal?
I want to rephrase that question slightly: What do you have to do/disconnect to temporarily remove the seats to install insulation underneath? Not sure if I'll need to do that. But if it's a PITA, or there's a risk to inadvertently exploding the airbags, I'd not consider that project anymore. Maybe just insulating under the rear seats, which should help some. Thank you gang.

Magnetic 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (pp), 2017 Mustang Ecoboost, 2012 Mustang GT/CS
I just did this exact mod with the 2 resistors in the same 2 places and my airbag light is still on. as is the passenger occupancy light.

the resistor method may not work in all situations.

SolomonSky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Solomon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Convertible
Just in case anyone is stuck in this nightmare scenario. I upgraded the cloth seats in my 2016 convertible to leather GT seats and I just switched the seat base for both seats, swapping just the leather uppers and lowers for each seat. I had to take apart the seat which was fairly easy. But when it came to getting the airbag light removed, nothing I tried worked.

I eventually followed the original posts info, but instead of plugging the 2.2 ohm 1 watt resistors into the C3206 terminals, I went ahead and soldered each resistor just above the connector (blue wiring base side, not the red wiring seat airbag side). I soldered each resistor in between 2 separate wires and used the blue 14-16 gauge t-taps to splice them into the wiring.

So yellow/red into the purple wires & blue/green into yellow/gray wires for a total of 2 separate resistors for each seat. Just make sure you keep the C3206 connector disconnected and secure so that there is not any movement under the seat when using this method. My airbag light finally disappeared!
Sponsored