Bdubbs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
A handful
Hey guys,

We purchased our 350 this May. Winter storage isn't far away for us in Minnesotans. I'm wondering if I should store the car with a certain stabilizer? I generally prefer using Seafoam.

My cars are stored in a dry low humidity shop. I generally keep it at 63-65 degrees.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_20220730_072122601.jpg
Sponsored

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Nice stable and storage facility.
For four months of winter storage is a stabilizer really necessary for most of us? Have been doing without one for five years, just running through a tank or two of and then filling up with non-ethanol premium before hibernation and have noticed no problems. Wonder if there is any good science behind this or if it's just a theoretical consideration. Maybe if there are significant temperature fluctuation and ambient humidity variables, or if we are talking real long term storage such as a year or two, or you had an old fashioned carburetor it might make more of a difference. Not trying to put the gas stabilizer folks out of business, just wonder if there is any proof that it is real world consequential. Up to you in the end though.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
I put a can of seafoam in the tank when I do an oil change just as preventative maintenance, to help keep the fuel system free of any potential build up. It's great stuff, but I never considered it a stabilizer. I've used sta-bil in past when I had to leave my '73 parked for extended periods due to maintenance issues, and it worked well. That had an old carburetor also, which tends to be more sensitive to old gas gumming things up.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I use StaBil marine formula. My car is stored outside for 3-4 months, and I've hadn't had any problems when starting back up again.

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
If these are sitting in a garage that is heated and around the temps you stated I honestly would not bother putting either in them. I usually put stabilizer in my motorcycles and that's it cause they sit in a non insulated non heated garage.

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Man, your storage area rivals the inside of my house. LOL.

This will be the first car I'm going to park for some time (a few months for Winter). I plan on using Sta-bil with a tank of gas for a covered car inside an insulated, but unheated garage (gets as cold as mid-30s inside).

I might not need it as it will be four or five months. I see it as cheap insurance and peace of mind to prevent any possible gum build-up or absorption of moisture by the fuel.

I haven't used Seafoam before, but I'm sure it is just as capable.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Just make sure the car has non-oxygenated gas (no ethanol) in it, no worries.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Man, you have a great collection for the location and not being able to use any of them for 4-5 months out of the year. That's a collection worthy of Southern Florida or California.

I agree with the others. For such a short storage in a climate controlled environment you probably don't need anything. It certainly won't hurt though if you choose to use either.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have had gas go bad in my bikes in 30 days. Stabil works and there are plenty of
tests and magazine reviews to prove it. Question is, do you really need it.
Here in CA we do. Stabil is cheap insurance, does not cost much and it works.
You maybe can find pure gas, but thats expensive. I also like the marine version
of stabil because it has oil in it. Ethanol is abrasive and this is supposed to help.
In all of my off road vehicles and sometimes the shelby,
I add Stabil and Mercury marine outboard ashless 2 stroke oil. When I pull apart
carbs doing this, they are spotless and in perfect shape years later.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bdubbs

Bdubbs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brady
Vehicle(s)
A handful
Thanks for the help everyone! I actually run E85 in my 03 cobra. I've been storing it for years with 91 non oxygenated fuel. I tested some ethanol that was in a VP racing jug from last fall and it tested fine. I'm considering storing that with E85 and I use Lucas ethanol treatment in that car. I have E85 sit for months in the summer, and then still use it without any problems.

All my other cars I use 91 non oxygenated fuel. I can see the 67 fastback being a pain without using a stabilizer. Seafoam claims it keeps fuel stabilized for 6+ months I believe.

I appreciate all the help!

Here's a couple more pictures. Our 90 7 up edition vert is currently at the house for the summer.

IMG_20220825_053606577.jpg

IMG_20220824_194551438_HDR.jpg

Specracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I use Startron in out boat, but all the cars, I dont bother. 6 months has not been long enough to have any issues (20+ years experience, and the sample size is currently around 25 cars). Works for me, and so far the cars as well. I think the biggest thing is to drive them (as you do)....

Gray Area GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2013 Boss 302
I have had very good results with 102 octane race gas from a local station. The Minnesota storage season is easily 5-6 months (Nov-Apr) and both my Mustangs have not had any issues.
Sponsored