Sponsored

Scuffed one of my wheels, looking for advice...

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Made a mistake and got a little to close to a curb and caught one of my wheels and put some scuffs into it. I could bring it to a refurbisher but was wondering if this is something I could fix myself. I believe the section that needs repair is machined, polished then clear coated. Thanks in advance!

IMG_0428.jpg
Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Good thing is that ain't bad. I've always just used a couple of guys in town. I jacked one up back in the day on a low rider truck, when he was finished everything looked great, the lip was just a little thinner but hardly noticeable.

Charges aren't bad either, normally.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OK, so you are literally in the middle of nowhere. There a a few places in Springfield. Go to Google Maps and type in “custom wheel repair”.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
I have a similar problem with an over-caffinated curb at Dunkin's Donuts leaping out and attacking me while I was placing an order for donuts.

Sigh...any local advice for the Philly area that people have used?

Thanks

CVCAshmere

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
sand it down as best as you can. for the deeper gouges use some body filler, sand - prime - paint - clear coat. You don't even nee to take the tire off.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
sand it down as best as you can. for the deeper gouges use some body filler, sand - prime - paint - clear coat. You don't even nee to take the tire off.
but the vibration!!
/kidding

make sure to prep/clean the surface for the bondo to have a chance.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I've used epoxy and automotive paints through my HVLP gun. Its a pia and matching isn't easy. Around here its about $150 to get it repaired...maybe more these days.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Stuff happens .. Back in 1992 I spun out in my 1991 GT and took a chunk out of my wheel..I took it to a shop in Maryland called “Ye Old Wheel Shop” . The shop kept it for a week and gave it back good as new. $65

you can find a shop or just buy a new one from Levitown Ford for $350 and save your damaged one for a full spare.

Another possibility is a used one that has been reconditioned..try ebay or https://www.hubcaphaven.com/

you can search by part number just pull off wheel.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mach VII

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
OK, so you are literally in the middle of nowhere. There a a few places in Springfield. Go to Google Maps and type in “custom wheel repair”.
Yep, an hour from Hartford and an hour from Albany, NY. There is a place near Hartford that specializes in this, going to bring it there but figured I would ask if this is something that can be done at home. More I think about it the more I realize how bad the repair will come out without experience and proper tools.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I would say, be honest with how picky and particular you are. Everyone has a different threshold in this regard.

If you know you want the repair to look imperceptible, get the refinish/refurbish completed by a pro. It's just worth the money, after the fact, when you are never reminded visually again, by the mistake.

If you are the type to want to save some coin, and satisfaction of a job done by self, but know you aren't an expert in doing this sort of repair, and will accept a less-than-perfect outcome, definitely lots of vids online on DIY wheel refinishing.

I would say your previous post is leading me to believe you fall into the former category (I'm there too!) :)

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
BTW what wheels are those? They look great - they remind me of the OEM PP1 alternative polished 5-split-spoke wheels.

OP
OP
Mach VII

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BTW what wheels are those? They look great - they remind me of the OEM PP1 alternative polished 5-split-spoke wheels.
Thanks, they are Ace Alloy AAF01's in liquor silver 19x10 - AAF01
That is exactly why I bought them, loved the optional PP wheels but couldn't source a set. These look better, better sizing and weigh lots less!

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
id just buy a new one imo
Sponsored