Sponsored

SCT Must stop selling tuners after EPA...

NoReins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work in Progress
just wondering how long the government will take to go after other tuners like HP Tuner and Diablosport
Sponsored

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
They may start marketing them as "off road use only" like many companies that make aftermarket parts do.

Honestly though, it shouldn't bee too big of a deal. Just means the tuner can't be lazy and flip the rear 02's off, which is a good thing if you're like me and live in an emissions-tested county.

A good quality tune should still be within the confines of the law as it is not an outright ban. Just a requirement that they bring their tunes into compliance with the act.

turning off the rear o2's isn't lazy. If I don't have cats, i need them off to keep the CEL off.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
turning off the rear o2's isn't lazy. If I don't have cats, i need them off to keep the CEL off.
And then you fail emissions because you can't have the rear 02's turned off. I've fought this 100 times.

Eliminators are your friend....or another method of anti-foulers. HOWEVER, a good tune WILL pass inspection.

I just had my '04 GT passed with cams, long tubes, and Flowmaster Outlaws with the 02's on. It's easy to do IF you have a good tuner.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
So as long as your not defeating any emission control devices this won't affect you? yes/no?

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
And then you fail emissions because you can't have the rear 02's turned off. I've fought this 100 times.

Eliminators are your friend....or another method of anti-foulers. HOWEVER, a good tune WILL pass inspection.

I just had my '04 GT passed with cams, long tubes, and Flowmaster Outlaws with the 02's on. It's easy to do IF you have a good tuner.

I don't have emissions. If I did, I would retain the cats and it wouldn't be an issue.
My tuner is one of the best, so that's not a concern.

Sponsored

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
This isn't just going to affect the handsets and preloaded software, it'll probably impact the software licensed to dyno tuners across the country. Maybe not immediately, but eventually.

cnycomp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT
People will find a way around this, one way or the other. Its kind of ridiculous that the big EPA is wasting their time going after such a small group of people who want to modify and enjoy their cars. Really, we are a tiny fraction of the cars that are on the road everyday.

FROM WIKIPEDIA= Overall, there were an estimated 263.6 millionregistered vehicles in the United States in 2015, most of which were passenger vehicles. This number, along with the average age of vehicles, has increased steadily since 1960

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
This isn't just going to affect the handsets and preloaded software, it'll probably impact the software licensed to dyno tuners across the country. Maybe not immediately, but eventually.
https://www.justice.gov/enrd/consent-decree/file/1095996/download

That is the settlement document, a lot of good details in it. Particuarly the software aspect...

“Custom Tuning Software” means any software application developed and licensed by Defendants that enables Defendants and their customers to create Calibrations to be loaded into Electronic Control Unit(s);

Customer Verification Program for Users of Custom Tuning Software 30. Since certain of the software parameters contained in Defendants’ Custom Tuning Software enable users to modify engine settings developed by OEMs and certified by EPA and CARB, Defendants shall commence a customer verification program for all customers of their Custom Tuning Software. The customer verification process must require each potential customer of Defendants’ Custom Tuning Software to provide information about their intended use of the Custom Tuning Software. Unless a potential customer provides written confirmation to Defendants that they will use the software solely to develop legitimate products that do not bypass, defeat, or render inoperative a vehicle’s emission control system (hereinafter referred to in this Section as “Legitimate Uses”), Defendants shall not sell the Custom Tuning Software, provide updates, or grant license applications to the potential customer. Examples of nonlegitimate uses may include using Defendants’ Custom Tuning Software to make modifications to vehicles regulated by EPA such as permanently disabling rear oxygen sensors to enable the removal of catalytic converters, permanently disabling EGR, and modifying, bypassing, and/or disabling other Elements of Design certified by OEMs such as engine fueling and airflow, without a reasonable basis that the modification does not adversely affect emissions performance (hereinafter referred to as “Non-Legitimate Uses”). Defendants must determine which access level of functionality of the software, if any, is appropriate to sell to the customer based on its intended use(s) of the software parameters.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

You realize you can just pay someone off to inspect your car right? How do you think people with illegal tint get by?

I'm not saying I do this, but some people do. Probably against the forum rules to talk about cheating emissions too.

SiMuL

.wise selectah.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT CO PP
I don't have emissions. If I did, I would retain the cats and it wouldn't be an issue.
My tuner is one of the best, so that's not a concern.
You make it sound like a tuner can tune out harmful emissions without catalytic converters on the car. I hope you know this is impossible. I'd hate for someone who didn't know better to mistake this information.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
You realize you can just pay someone off to inspect your car right? How do you think people with illegal tint get by?

I'm not saying I do this, but some people do. Probably against the forum rules to talk about cheating emissions too.

We had someone try this at our shop, most people don't realize that inspection stations are regularly checked by the state police and ours is no exception. When the disgruntled customer threatened to call the cops when we failed him for illegal headlights we called the trooper ourselves and things were cleared up pretty quick.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
We had someone try this at our shop, most people don't realize that inspection stations are regularly checked by the state police and ours is no exception. When the disgruntled customer threatened to call the cops when we failed him for illegal headlights we called the trooper ourselves and things were cleared up pretty quick.
Yeah lol, you have to go to the real shady inspection stations :crazy:
Sponsored