Sponsored

Scratch in rear glass...

Yo Nadz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Just my luck. Picked the car up Tuesday, finally got around to detailing it yesterday and discovered a SCRATCH on the outside of the rear glass. It's about 1 inch long and the width of pencil lead. I can barely feel it with a fingernail. Car has less than 100 miles on it, 70 being the drive home from the dealer. Called them up and took it in. They've agreed to replace the entire rear glass under warranty, but I'm not sure I want this done. The risk of something getting screwed up is just to my stress for me. I've called local glass companies seeking repair, but no one will even touch it. I'd be happy if I could make it look a little better than it does rather than replacing the glass. I plan on tinting the rear window, so as long as I could make the scratch less obvious against black I'd probably be happy. Anyone have any suggestions on a reasonable fix? What would you do in this situation?
IMG_1119.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG
Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
How the hell does something like that even happen? Scratched glass? Damn.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I would bet if you were to put dark tint on the rear window it will no longer be visible. Light reflecting through the glass makes it more noticeable. I personally would tint the glass first (its not that expensive) let it dry good for about a week or so so the water doesn't reflect light through the scratch till evaporated then decide whether or not to replace it. Which shouldn't affect warranty replacement. I'll bet outside of being able to feel it with finger nail you won't never notice it there.

Sponsored

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Dang sorry to hear that OP. I have a couple (not quite as bad) in the front passenger side of my windshield. FWIW dealer was willing to replace it but I decided not to do anything about it. I figure at the rate folks report chips in the windshield it'll need replaced soon enough anyway.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Thank you! I'm gonna give this a try tomorrow. I'll be sure to let you know the results.
Unfortunately I am not sure that will work since it is for chips/cracks and this is neither. To be honest, if the dealer lets a good bodyshop of your choice to do this work, I would replace it. The plus is that it is not paint work. I am not sure you will ever be happy with anything else. I do not think I would. Good luck!
Sponsored