Sponsored

Scraped Rims (non-R) - Need consoling and advice

TechnicalLimitation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350. H3562
I wasn't racing the car or doing stupid stuff. The parking garage simply has a kiosk that's miles away from the window, this meant I had to get close. Unfortunately, I got too close, and the front driverside rim scraped against the concrete curb. :mad: :( And only at 500 miles too :doh:

It's not terrible, but it's definitely visible and puts such a damp mood on it. I have to get this fixed. Can't begin to describe how upset it made me when I saw it. :(

1) Should I replace the OEM wheels? I like them, so I'm not really wanting to go this route.
2) Where can I get a true to God OEM Ford wheel for the car? I don't really trust eBay here.
3) Is it worth it to try to get insurance to cover them?
4) Has anyone else curbed or scraped their non-R GT350 rims? I feel like an idiot. I love this car. Might need a bit of therapy.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
A set of OEM rims are ~$800-1000. I believe MSRP is about $1,000 each. I would try ebay. As long as it has the correct PN on it, and it's a reputable seller, I don't see what you have to lose. Definitely not worth it to call it to the insurance.

Personally, I think the OEM rims, although OK looking, are just terrible and one of the flaws on this car. They're heavy, with a lot of spokes to clean, and black just shows the brake dust to where they are impossible to keep clean through more than 5 minutes of driving.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I scraped a front wheel on my '15 GTPP. Paid a wheel repair guy to smooth the scrape out and repaint that section of the wheel. It was a painless fix, and you couldn't see where the scrape had been.

Unless you knocked a chunk out of it I don't see the point in replacing the wheel when it can be easily repaired. Check with your dealership service department, they'll know a guy who can do this for you.

Sponsored

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
A wheel repair outfit is probably all you need. Just be sure they don't simply grind/sand the area down smooth and repaint - leaving a shallow divot. They need to fill the scrapes, chips with epoxy and restore the original contour.

OP
OP
TechnicalLimitation

TechnicalLimitation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 AG GT350. H3562
Thanks so much everyone, going to look for a wheel repair shop... time to make some searches and calls =).

Glad to know I'm not the only one who has done this :(. Sounds like this is easy to fix though! Thanks everyone

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I had both driver side rims suffer pretty good rash in a similar situation in a parking garage. A rim repair place here fixed both rims out the door for under $300. They actually fill in the rash via welding then machine it back down to match the original height and paint it. You cannot tell the rims were ever damaged.

Wine dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT 350
I had a specialized Volvo with super low profile tires, rims were so vulnerable and got scraped badly, they were a very light color thought for sure beyond repair, my guys at Tire Kingdom had them sent out and OMG, u could not tell even up close or by running your fingers over them. Since then have had other rims fixed by them as well, luckily not yet with my GT 350, but it’s good to know that a cost effective fix is available.

Sponsored

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Don't feel bad, have beautiful alloy rims on my M3 and scratches happen many of which I can't even pinpoint. Just noticed about a 3/4" one on my R rims and have no idea how it happened. If you street and track drive these cars, sooner or later the rims will get scrapes on them. Like others said, easily repairable at a wheel shop. I may actually contact Carbon Revolution to see if they have some touch up paint in the meantime as I know more will happen in the future with track abuse. Someone posted a set of R rims on eBay that were part of the prototype ones and had scrapes...actually think they looked ok...battle scars!

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I had a couple of rims fixed before, by professional shops. You couldn't tell where it was.

I disagree with [MENTION=32188]SVTinAR[/MENTION], if you apply epoxy on rims, several heat/ cold cycles depending on where you leave, or a rock chip will crack or even take chunks out of the epoxy. I prefer having it just smoothed out and painted; nothing to break or crack.

Good luck

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I scraped my front and rear passenger side on my 13 GT500. Getting a colour match for those was near impossible. I ended up buying 2 new wheels. That said I think it will be easier to match the colour of the 350 wheels. Like many have said already, find a wheel repair shop and see what your options are. Good luck
Sponsored